A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trouble with my SD culture.  (Read 224 times)

Offline TX2Labs

• I Love Pizza!
Trouble with my SD culture.
« on: October 24, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
I bought the ischia SD culture several months back.  I had an issue getting it activated (vomit smell) but keeping after it, I finally "got it" and we're been trucking along ever since with no issues.  I have a backup starter in the fridge and have been feeding it every month or two, with my working starter on the counter.

At first, I was dutifully feeding it every morning.  Then based upon reading from others I thought I could back off and feed it every other day.  Seemed to be going well.

My doughs seemed to be a little less tasty as of late.  Still good (better than ADY I'd been using) but not "WOW" like they were the first few times. 

Well, last week in a hurry before work, I forgot to feed.  I didn't discover it until the next morning, so it had been 3 days since the last feeding.  The consistency and smell were off.  The consistency was essentially a liquid and the smell was like that of vinegar. 

Side note, and wondering if this might be a cause.  Last week, while making my dough I realized I had forgotten to put the lid back on the starter jar (so it was uncovered for probably an hour or so).  The top had kind of started to harden and there was a tiny knat stuck in there.   :-X  I removed the knat with all of the surrounding starter around it, but I'm wondering if that little thing introduced some type of bacteria that started to go wild in there?

I've been feeding it every 12 hours since trying to get it back.  The awful smell is gone for the most part, but it's still there a tiny bit and doesn't smell sweet and normal like the backup.

I pulled out my backup starter, brought it to RT and it smells wonderful.

Should I just toss the other one and start a new one?  I mean, as long as I keep a backup, there's no need to try to "rescue" the one that's been on the counter right?  Am I thinking of this correctly?

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Trouble with my SD culture.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
I'd fork the backup (and put half back in the fridge), and toss the skunked one. Yay backups!   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
When my starter begins to smell “vinegary”- acetic acid developing if I’m not mistaken- i “wash” it and that usually brings things back into balance.
Agree on the backups.
I recently invested in new ischia/calmadoli from sourdo.com—I left the ischia jar to warm in the recently used oven for a couple hours; my daughter then turned on the oven again to bake, and that was that.. i had forgot to backup. :-[ amazingly, the heavy, sealed jar did not crack.

Online Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:04:52 PM »
I would not use the "back up" starter in the fridge if it's been your practice to feed it only once a month.  Start anew.

Rolls
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T