A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Deep Dish/Stuffed Pizza recipe  (Read 269 times)

Offline Pod4477

• I Love Pizza!
Deep Dish/Stuffed Pizza recipe
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »
So while waiting 3-7 days for my Pizzeria Regina clone doughs to ferment, I had a craving for a deep dish pizza.  I've been making a lot of thin pies lately, but I wanted a thicker, flakier dough.  I'm no Chicago Deep Dish expert by any means, but I never quite got the flakier dough I wanted for it.  So I scoured the internet and found a chowhound.com post at:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/chicago-deep-dish-pizza-crust-recipe-buttery-goodness-507079?page=3

User stevel6 said, "as I am a family member of one of the original founders of Gino's."  So I went to work using his recipe and other users' bakers percentages.  I struggled a bit with yeast and hydration but I found a recipe that works well.  I'm sure you guys have seen the Chowhound post, but I just wanted to share my experience and recipe with it.  My recipe is as follows:

Makes enough dough for a 10" stuffed pizza (Large size UNO Deep Dish)

440g All-Purpose flour (100%)
275ml water (62.5%)
1.2g IDY yeast (.27%)
138g corn oil (31%)
10.6g Kosher salt (2.4%)

[Note: Mix however you like to mix, I just did it this way]
1.  Dissolve salt into water.
2.  Add Flour into bowl of Kitchen Aid mixer.
3.  Add IDY into flour and stir to incorporate.
4.  Mix oil and most of water/salt mix first and then add remaining water/salt mix into flour. I did this to ensure that I did not add too much water.  The dough should be pretty wet.
5.  Let rise for one hour at room temp (optional) before 1.5-2 hours in proof setting of 110į.  (I let it rise at room temp only because I had to wait 3 hours total before step 6, but Steve recommends 4 hours at room temp I believe.
6.  Roll out dough ( or press dough into pan) with some bench flour if dough is too wet, much like a pie crust. I roll out my dough so I can see and have enough dough to make a top and bottom crust. 
7.  Fit to pan size with side walls taken into account. 
8.  Place dough on bottom, followed by Mozzarella cheese, toppings, additional dough (if making stuffed pizza), sauce, oregano, grating cheese.
9.  Bake pizza at 450 degrees for 30 Min. (add additional time if there is extra thick dough along side walls of pan)

Order is: dough, mozzarella cheese, toppings, dough, sauce, oregano, grating cheese.

I make sure to leave a hole in middle for air, but may not be needed. 

Tips that I've found:
  • I use all purpose flour for a pie-crust-like texture
  • The 31% corn oil really helps the dough flavor and texture
  • I add bench flour when rolling out, but it didn't seem to affect taste
  • I usually make sure the dough is thin along the side walls of pan to ensure 30 min bake time, but as you can see from the pictures, I clumped up the dough.  I like more dough, but it requires additional bake time
  • I use Pastene Kitchen Ready Chunky Style and I drain the water out using a strainer
  • I've been using Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozzarella and breaking it into cubes
  • I like to drape the top crust and press into the side walls of dough.  It depends how thick you want the crust, but if you want it thinner just remove some dough.  If you're not using a top crust then the side wall dough can be pretty thin

I may have missed something so Iíd you have any questions, feel free to ask!  These pizzas pictured were sausage, pepperoni, green bell peppers, and white/sweet onions.  The cheese in the middle of picture 3 is from stuffing some cheese in the center hole.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:31:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Deep Dish/Stuffed Pizza recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:47 PM »
Good looking pizza?

Is that precooked sausage?

Also, I'm a little curious why you searched the web to find this recipe.  Which recipes from here have you tried, and how did this one compare?

Offline Pod4477

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
Good looking pizza?

Is that precooked sausage?

Also, I'm a little curious why you searched the web to find this recipe.  Which recipes from here have you tried, and how did this one compare?

Thank you.  You definitely know more about Chicago pizza being a native of Chicago, but I'm still learning.  A user on my other thread about Pizzeria Regina asked for the Deep Dish recipe I had mentioned on there.  That is why I made a new thread about it.  It's Davio's House Sausage that I fried up with some onions, and then added some microwaved onions and green peppers to the pizza.  The sausage is very good quality and I believe made in MA, but I just wanted to take some of the water out of the veggies.  I know it's not the authentic garlic sausage, but in MA it's tough to get that.  Well I always do a google search for initial research, as well as this site, but I was finding a lot of recipes that didn't seem authentic on google. Then I started reading the comments on the chowhound post, and Steve16's comments got my attention.  To be honest, I haven't tried a deep dish recipe off of this site yet, but I'm going to, but I have tried a greek dough recipe off of here.  I see some recipes under your post.  I'll have to try your Chicago thin recipe (which looks amazing) and I've been meaning to make some homemade sausage with my meat grinder. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:12:37 PM by Pod4477 »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:01 AM »
I don't know why my post had that first question mark, haha, so I'll reiterate that it looks really great!

If you've found something that works, stick with it, man!

But leave the sausage raw.  It'll cook with the rest of the pizza.  That's the authentic way.

Cheers!

Offline Pod4477

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
I don't know why my post had that first question mark, haha, so I'll reiterate that it looks really great!

If you've found something that works, stick with it, man!

But leave the sausage raw.  It'll cook with the rest of the pizza.  That's the authentic way.

Cheers!

Haha thatís fine! And thank you. Iím used to making 8 minute bake time pizza, so I wasnít sure if it would be done if it was added raw. But thank you, Iíll have to try that next time. It makes sense since itís about a 30 min cook time. I usually like to build some caramalization on the sausage, but at the expense of drying it out, I can see leaving it raw.

Also, I wasnít really concerned about making a smooth perfect crust. But Iím getting better at that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:06:15 AM by Pod4477 »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T