A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Which one is the best - Kneaders  (Read 966 times)

Offline Bjoern

• Inspiration through fermentation
Which one is the best - Kneaders
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
Hi,
I would like to ask for some quick opinions on different mixers. Purely from the technical point of view. Price diffences should not be considered. Time needed for Preparation is also not an issue.

I am aiming currently at standard Neapolitan dough with 58% hydration. I am cooking it at 485/450 deg. celsius.  I might move to higher hydration later but time will tell.

3 Options:

- Bernardi Miss Baker Pro: Diving arm Type (http://www.bernardi-impastatrici.it/products/products-missbaker/?lang=en) Beautiful machine, slow, not sure if it is the best one for low hydration dough. Mixing seems very random, no defined pattern (which is equalized by long mixing time) Speed adjustable

- Santos 18 Fork mixer: Fork mixer (https://www.santos.fr/en/products/food-preparation/restauration-et-collectivites/petrin-melangeur/18/) Rather easy to grasp the mixing effect, seems more homogenous, no speed adjustment

- Haeussler Alpha 2G: Spiral mixer (https://www.backdorf.de/en/Appliance-Shop/Dough-kneading-machines/Alpha-starter-package-2.html) sturdy spiral mixer, has the advantage of being more versatile by offering different attachments (similar to planetary mixer but with classic spiral motion)

I am really challenged, each one has its advantages and downpoints but which one will give the best dough?

Can you help me?  ;D

BR Bjoern

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Which one is the best - Kneaders
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:46:54 AM »

- Santos 18 Fork mixer: Fork mixer (https://www.santos.fr/en/products/food-preparation/restauration-et-collectivites/petrin-melangeur/18/) Rather easy to grasp the mixing effect, seems more homogenous, no speed adjustment

Speed is somewhat adjustable with a knob that increases friction on the bowl to slow down its rotation.

Offline Bjoern

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
After long research I decided to buy the diving arm mixer. ;D 

I will see how it performs but I don’t think it will be an issue. I will fit it with an amperemeter to see if I can figure out the optimum kneading time based on hydration and flour type. The fork mixer would be more suited for such kind of experiments but well in the end it was an emotional decision between 3 excellent machines.

:chef:

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Good of you to come back and post your decision. That thing is a beauty! Best wishes using it.
-Tony

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:34:33 PM »
wow... soooo cool!!!!!   How much did that cost?

Offline Bjoern

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 01:54:19 AM »
In US Dollars... about 1400 without taxes, not cheap but it is fitting more in the category “industrial appliance” than “household device”. This is the so called “Pro” Model with 5 speed control, up to 1.8kg flour. (They have another model double the size for a few hundred more) The design is really sturdy...that thing weighs 28kg. I hope it’s a purchase for a lifetime.  :-D

Offline kaplan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
Hi Bjoern, do you still like the Miss Baker? It's been more than a year, what do you think? I contacted Bernardi about purchasing, price has gone up a bit since.  :)

Offline Bjoern

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
I am still very happy with it. Nothing to complain about

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
Truly amazing that we have this for our homes now.   Is there any way you can post a video of it mixing at its slowest speed?

Offline Bjoern

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »
I am on a mission in China right now so its rather difficult. I guess i will be back in September

Offline kaplan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Hi Bjoern, did you use a voltage convertor for your Miss Baker? If so, is there one you'd recommend? Thanks!!

Offline Bjoern

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »
Hi,
i did not have to. Germany is 230V, same as Italy. The unit is VFD controlled though so a 110V version is likely to be available.
Just ask them.

BR Bjoern