A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Molinari Pepperoni?  (Read 174 times)

Offline Mako13

• I Love Pizza!
Molinari Pepperoni?
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
I was looking for Dietz and Watson pepperoni, based upon the recommendation of another member here, and thought I'd found it at Corti Brothers, but alas, no luck so far.

The Dietz website says they carry it, but I only found Dietz hams there.  Jury is out on whether they can special order it for me.  Awaiting a call back on that.

I'm looking for a good, spicy pepperoni, since most of the store bought ones I've found to be a bit lacking in flavor.  I've tried Hormel, Gallo, Margherita, and Boar's Head, and I find all of them to be rather bland.  I was surprised to find the Margherita and Boar's Head to be about the same as the Gallo, especially given the premium price they charge for their stuff.  Seems to me they're all about the same, flavor-wise.

They did have Molinari pepperoni though, so I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and how it compares to other pepperoni products out there?

There were two kinds - a larger sandwich-style pepperoni - probably about 2" in diameter, or so, which the clerk let me taste, and a smaller diameter sausage, which comes whole, and which they won't slice for you.  Both are refrigerated.  She said the latter one is a bit harder and drier.  I would have liked to sample that one, but they didn't have any for that purpose.  My guess it is the better of the two, if there's a different flavor profile.

Have any of you had their smaller diameter, pepperoni?

I imagine, given it is dryer, it might actually be better, but she said it is hard to slice thin.

I did get to try the larger diameter one, and it was a bit bland at first too, but had a little heat once you'd eaten eat.  I suspect that means it has some white pepper in it.

Not sure how it will be cooked on a pizza, but am hoping it will get a little spicier.

Curious to know how it compares to the Dietz, Ezzo, Arrezzio (Sysco food service brand), and others.

Price on the Molinari is "California Crazy", at $12.00 a pound. 

I bought just a quarter pound to try, since I was there.  At that price though, I'm hoping I don't like it too much.  It's cheaper to buy a pizza at that price from Round Table, when you start factoring in the drive to buy it, including fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc., etc., or to get a relative to buy a pie or two to bring to me on the next visit. 

The quest for a decent, spicy pepperoni continues..................
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:18:09 PM by Mako13 »

Offline StateofMind

Re: Molinari Pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
I used the smaller molinari at my restaurant and for catering for about a year and a half. I love the flavor and performance but at $7.99/lb it was hard to justify. I have switched to another product now.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
If it's more flavor you're seeking, have you tried the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni?  That's very good and very popular.
Another trick is to just go all NJPizzeria on it, and shake those red pepper flakes all over, "That's a spicy" (where's that from?)

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:07:21 AM »
If it's more flavor you're seeking, have you tried the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni?  That's very good and very popular.
Another trick is to just go all NJPizzeria on it, and shake those red pepper flakes all over, "That's a spicy" (where's that from?)

Outtakes. It's hilarious. :)
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

A D V E R T I S E M E N T