A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Favorite Pepperoni  (Read 82119 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
Bill - You must be sick of hearing kudos, but that shot is magazine worthy. I have to ask: can you go into some detail about your American dough?

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Bill - You must be sick of hearing kudos, but that shot is magazine worthy. I have to ask: can you go into some detail about your American dough?

John

Thanks, John, for the very kind words. I was working on this dough long before the Neapolitan bug bit me. I've recently pulled my recipe out of the mothballs and am bringing it up to date since my tastes and procedures and skill level have progressed. I will be putting it all together for publication in the near future.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:52:04 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Old Shakeys Cop

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
"When I was a kid, I remember one particular pizza reataurant that used pepperoni that was about the same diameter as a quarter. These little pepperonis would cup when cooked and the rim/edge of the pepperoni would burn ever so slightly. It was the best tasting pepperoni that I can remember."

You could also be describing "Swifts Premium Pepperoni" It was about that size and it was a dark red, spicier than most and it cupped when it cooked because of the natural casing it was made in would shrink when cooked. And yes the edges would get dark and crispy. Still my favorite by far.
Ezzo Supreme Special

--------------------------------------------------------

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
Bill,
 So how did you like the Vt Smoked peperoni you mentioned  spicy  top ten 10 for you  ? I really like it as well whole case is on the way soon.  Also want to try some good spopressatta if anyone can suggest large stick for me to slice up :)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline doughball1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
Ezzo is the best I have found. They have both the large and smaller cupping size (38mm)
Hormel grande Rossa (I think) is also pretty good but the ezzo is killer
For the shop we get it in 25 pound cases at about 3.92/lb however buying the stock and slicing it yourself is a different level of goood

Offline JenTheBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
So I'm sure this is going to be pooh-poohed by purists.....so please forgive me. I have some of my own reasons for, well, asking this.  :D

Anyone happen to know what brand of pepperoni it is that...um....Papa John's uses?

If nobody can chime in, if someone knows of a super-thin (like Papa John's) pepperoni that's offered at the retail level, please let me know.

I have a serious issue with eating garlic and onion -- it's horribly difficult to deal with, because I get ill when eating it. Sucks. And to my knowledge, there is currently NO pepperoni on the market that is free of garlic and/or onion.  :(

And I miss pepperoni very much.....so, if I eat a smaller quantity of it, due to the slices being *thinner* than others......((CROSSING FINGERS HERE))....I can ((POSSIBLY)) eat at least one or two little slices of pepperoni on a pizza. Possibly.

But only if the pepperoni itself is sliced very, very thin. That way, it will look like I'm able to eat more quantities of pepperoni than I'd normally get with a pepperoni of average thickness...it's a visual 'trick' that will give me the taste I want, while reducing my exposure to garlic and/or onion in the pepperoni itself.

That's why it needs to be 'thinner than other brands of pepperoni.' :D Less exposure to things in pepperoni that my body objects to.

As I recall, the Papa John's pepperoni is razor-thin. And taste is fine with me for them; I'm positive I could do better for taste than their pepperoni, but tbh taste is not my #1 top concern.

I'm making a compromise at this point between physical well-being and taste; kind of have to.

If there was ONE BRAND that didn't have onion and/or garlic in it -- I wouldn't have to worry abt this, lol. But, well...I do. Trust me, that would be my first option if it existed. And I've called every company that I could find, to ask if their 'natural flavorings' (how the FDA says they can get away with 'listing' garlic and onion on labels)......contained garlic or onion. Sadly, if 'natural flavorings' is on a pepperoni label, it likely means garlic or onion is in there. Some brands list it separate from that, but it's not a legal requirement to do so. I wish it was. :D

So. If anyone knows what brand of pepperoni it is that...Papa John's uses, OR can suggest, possibly...another brand that has super-thin sliced pepperoni at retail sale, I'd dearly appreciate it.

I will also possibly be venturing into the local supermarket deli to have them slice whatver brands they have on-hand razor thin for me, but tbh if it was already pre-sliced that would make my life easier.

And most pepperonis I see in the deli for slicing by counter help are the large, sandwich-styled pepperoni, which are ofc too big for placing on a little mini-pizza. So if I do that, I'll have to go to a few different markets. Not my first choice, tho.

Thoughts? :D

Thanks in advance for any and all help. :D -Jen

Offline jsaras

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
So I'm sure this is going to be pooh-poohed by purists.....so please forgive me. I have some of my own reasons for, well, asking this.  :D

Anyone happen to know what brand of pepperoni it is that...um....Papa John's uses?

If nobody can chime in, if someone knows of a super-thin (like Papa John's) pepperoni that's offered at the retail level, please let me know.

I have a serious issue with eating garlic and onion -- it's horribly difficult to deal with, because I get ill when eating it. Sucks. And to my knowledge, there is currently NO pepperoni on the market that is free of garlic and/or onion.  :(

And I miss pepperoni very much.....so, if I eat a smaller quantity of it, due to the slices being *thinner* than others......((CROSSING FINGERS HERE))....I can ((POSSIBLY)) eat at least one or two little slices of pepperoni on a pizza. Possibly.

But only if the pepperoni itself is sliced very, very thin. That way, it will look like I'm able to eat more quantities of pepperoni than I'd normally get with a pepperoni of average thickness...it's a visual 'trick' that will give me the taste I want, while reducing my exposure to garlic and/or onion in the pepperoni itself.

That's why it needs to be 'thinner than other brands of pepperoni.' :D Less exposure to things in pepperoni that my body objects to.

As I recall, the Papa John's pepperoni is razor-thin. And taste is fine with me for them; I'm positive I could do better for taste than their pepperoni, but tbh taste is not my #1 top concern.

I'm making a compromise at this point between physical well-being and taste; kind of have to.

If there was ONE BRAND that didn't have onion and/or garlic in it -- I wouldn't have to worry abt this, lol. But, well...I do. Trust me, that would be my first option if it existed. And I've called every company that I could find, to ask if their 'natural flavorings' (how the FDA says they can get away with 'listing' garlic and onion on labels)......contained garlic or onion. Sadly, if 'natural flavorings' is on a pepperoni label, it likely means garlic or onion is in there. Some brands list it separate from that, but it's not a legal requirement to do so. I wish it was. :D

So. If anyone knows what brand of pepperoni it is that...Papa John's uses, OR can suggest, possibly...another brand that has super-thin sliced pepperoni at retail sale, I'd dearly appreciate it.

I will also possibly be venturing into the local supermarket deli to have them slice whatver brands they have on-hand razor thin for me, but tbh if it was already pre-sliced that would make my life easier.

And most pepperonis I see in the deli for slicing by counter help are the large, sandwich-styled pepperoni, which are ofc too big for placing on a little mini-pizza. So if I do that, I'll have to go to a few different markets. Not my first choice, tho.

Thoughts? :D

Thanks in advance for any and all help. :D -Jen

If the sandwich-style pepperoni is otherwise to your liking you can cut it into three or four strips and lay them out on top of your pizza.  You're not going to get cupping, but I don't think you'd get that with any pepperoni sliced that thin.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline JenTheBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
Thanks, jsaras!

I'm unfortunately looking for a non-huge pepperoni to use, so i can have one piece of peperoni per slice on a mini (think 'english muffin-sized') pizza. Good suggestion, but not exactly what I'm looking for. :) Trying to get that taste of pepperoni along with a consistent amount of pepperoni per english muffin-sized portions.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
To follow along with jsaras' idea, you can cut the sandwich size slices into smaller circles with the right cookie cutter. I've seen small hearts for Valentines day. No reason you couldn't get a few smaller circles out of each sandwich slice.

Also, some of the Italian markets around here will slice a stick of pepperoni if you want. Maybe you could buy a stick and have it sliced/shaved as thin as possible at a deli counter.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
Jen,

Several years ago, I posted the ingredients for the Papa John's pepperoni and who I thought was the supplier of that pepperoni. The post is at Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg58199#msg58199.

As you can see from the above post, the PJ pepperoni at that time included garlic but since the ingredients list is very detailed, it appears that onion may not have been an ingredient. Also, it is possible that PJ has changed suppliers and it is also possible that the original supplier may no longer exists or may have changed affiliation through merger or divestiture. There is also no way of knowing if the current supplier of pepperoni to PJ offers a retail version. However, I see from the Tyson website that it carries a retail brand of pepperoni called Wilson (http://www.tysonfoods.com/loved-brands/pizza-toppings). I have tried that brand and like it but I was not able to find an ingredients list at the Tyson website. However, I did find an ingredients list at http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=358E27F4-E108-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471 that looks to be the same as one of the Tyson foodservice offerings, albeit not at a level of detail to tell us whether onion and/or garlic are part of the retail product. Maybe you can dig a bit deeper if you are able to find the Wilson brand and see if there is a telephone number on the package that you can use to speak to someone at Wilson.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline JenTheBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
Thanks, Jon and Pete!

So Wilson's I've heard great things abt, and I wouldn't be surprised if a version of it was on the Papa John's pizza as we know it. As to the ingredients list for Wilson pepperoni, here it is...found it listed as a product carried at Walmart, and unlike Amazon Walmart lists all ingredients of all products. THANK GOODNESS. :)

Wilson's has the following ingredients: Pork And Beef, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, Oleoresin of Paprika, Flavorings, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium Nitrite, BHA, BHT, Citric Acid.

Notice that 'flavorings' is there; that's where any onion or garlic can be; it's not a 'spice' so if a company wants to list ingredients....they can't just say 'spices' -- they have to say:

Spices, Garlic, Onion

or

Spices, Flavorings

Doesn't matter if the flavorings are listed as, 'natural flavorings' or just 'flavorings' -- if the word, 'flavorings' is there, that is usually indicative of garlic or onion (when it comes to pepperoni or other products known to have garlic in them).

Sidebar: hey, did you know that mayonnaise has garlic in it!? YEP. It hides as, 'flavorings' in the ingredients list there, too.

I'm not a fan of any product that has 'flavorings' on the label, as you can see....lol. I love the taste of garlic; hate what it does to my body tho.

Man, I miss garlic.

At this point, the best I can hope for is a brand of pepperoni with low amounts of garlic in it; not all of them have onion, but from what I've found, 100% of them have garlic. Onion is often added to garlic, which makes the issue even worse for me, lol.

I even developed my own version of pepperoni, have made it at home....but it's labor intensive to make, and tbh I don't have a lot of energy or time to commit to it. So, instead I've decided to eat pepperoni in tiny, tiny amounts....maybe one or two slices. Hopefully I can find a brand that eating one or two slices won't totally do a number on me.

Boar's Head pepperoni is the thinnest of all pepperoni I've seen in my area (Midwest). Hormel is next thinnest. Both taste like crap to me tho, lol. Yet, they're STILL pepperoni, and a crappy-ish pepperoni is still better than no pepperoni to me.

If I can find Wilson's in my area I'll grab it and hope it's got decent taste and is sliced thin. Again, the thickness is sort of a 'creative workaround' for me; if it's thinner per slice, that means my exposure to garlic (and/or onion if that's in there too) will be less than thick sliced ones would.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
Jen,

I did see the Wilson ingredients list at the Walmart website but the product was no longer available so I couldn't tell if I was looking at an old product. However, I think you may be right that if the Wilson product contains garlic or onions, they are perhaps buried in flavorings. If you are interested in going through the maze, here is a link to the pertinent FDA regulations:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22

If I were in your shoes and able to find the Wilson pepperoni, I would try to see if there is someone I could call to see if there is garlic or onion in any form in the product. I would be surprised if there is not a toll-free number on the pouch. If you can reach someone at Wilson, I would tell them that you have severe allergic reactions, or worse, to those ingredients.

Let us know if you find your way out of the maze. ;D

Peter

Offline JenTheBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2017, 03:16:09 AM »
LOL -- yes, a maze indeed, Pete! :D

Yeah, pepperoni is a toughie. A true PITA for me; a love/hate relationship. I'm one day going to get my recipe produced, commercially I think. Either I'll sell it to someone or I'll find a co-packer to make it, or I'll make it myself commercially and sell it, etc....

I'm gonna give up on this pepperoni quest for awhile now. It's too daunting. If I ever find a solution (or make it for sale myself), I'll post an update here. For now, I'm going to give up and hope for the best in the future.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
Jen, have you tried slicing your own?  Get a stick of Boar's Head or Bridgeford pepperoni and a really sharp knife.   With a little practice, you can slice them razor thin.  Or take it to the deli section of your grocery store and ask them to slice it as thin as possible for you.  By hand you should be able to slice it thinner then they can.   Good luck.   

Chau

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
Jen, have you tried slicing your own?  Get a stick of Boar's Head or Bridgeford pepperoni and a really sharp knife.   With a little practice, you can slice them razor thin.  Or take it to the deli section of your grocery store and ask them to slice it as thin as possible for you.  By hand you should be able to slice it thinner then they can.   Good luck.   

Chau

^^^
Hans

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »

Chau
I've yet to put Boar's head pepperoni on my slicer. I'll try that asap.

Delallo pepperoni is my favorite, lean, firm, flavorful and crispy when sliced as thin as possible.

I tried cutting by hand and failed countless times. It seems like magic to me.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
What I really want is the greasiest pepperoni on the market. I mean, when it cooks, it off oils more than any other. I'm trying to recreate the pepperoni rolls from my childhood. They came from a bakery we'd go to after church in south Jersey and the excess of pepperoni grease is what made them amazing. The bottom of the rolls were literally orange and fried from the oil in the sheet pan. I'm working off of memory, so its bound to be fraught, but my last attempt I used Reinhart's hoagie bread recipe and rolled in Boar's Head sandwich pepperoni. I didn't use nearly enough roni and it didn't oil off enough either.

I know Bridgeford is pretty oily, and other ideas?
"If it works, it's obsolete" -- Marshall McLuhan
"First you get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure" -- Mark Twain
"Wretched excess is just barely enough" --Shirley O. Corriher

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
Bridgeford is oily for sure.  One the oiliest I've used.  Just remember to peel the plastic casing off before hand slicing. Good tasting pepperoni with a bit of kick at a great price too.  To decrease the oil cut thick slices and then cube them.