A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My first go at dough and with a pizzaparty ardore oven  (Read 303 times)

Offline mlc2013

My first go at dough and with a pizzaparty ardore oven
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
Hello all im new here mu name is Michael and I live in Long Island New York, I love to cook but not that good at it yet although I am getting better at it everyday. I hope to learn a lot from this forum as I have recently purchased a pizza party Ardore oven and started to make dough for Neapolitan style here is my first attempt.
I tried 2 different dough recipes and I made 2 batches of each the first batch of each I mixed by hand and the second batch of each I mixed in a food processor (which I will not do again), I then took Ĺ of the balled dough from each recipe and and CF Ĺ of them 48 hours and took out of fridge 12 hours before stretching and the other half CF for 56 hours and took out of fridge 4 hours before stretching ;
Here is the first recipe I used:
Recipe A
1 liter water
10 grams live yeast
55 grams sea salt
1,700 grams caputo "00" flour blue label
20 grams EVOO
Recipe B
1 kilo caputo "00" flour blue label
600 grams water
15 grams live yeast
20 grams sea salt
30 grams EVOO

I mixed the same method for both weather by hand or mixer and that was
1. dissolve salt in water
2. mix EVOO to salt water mix
3. dissolve yeast in salt water EVOO mix (mostly by hand)
4. mix in 75% of flour till everything is sticking together
5. remove mixed flour from bowl and take Ĺ the remaining unmixed flour and put on counter then put mixed flour ontop and then cover the mixed flower with the ramining unmixed flower and hand mix the dough for 15-20 minutes
6. cover dough with a lightly damp towel and leave out on counter for 1 hour
7. take the dough and cut into 3 long strips and start to make the balls 185gram each
8. place balls in lightly floured pan and cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge
9. start the CF times posted above

Since I cant seem to figure out how to insert phots Ill just explain the best I can the finished dough before stretching
1. Recipe A + B CF 48 hours and room temp 12 hours;
dough grew to 3-4 times the size of the original dough ball and was stuck to the plastic wrap which was impossible to remove with out tearing the dough away a little, i cut the dough at the seems and tried stretching the dough was what i think very elastic it would not stretch easily and still a bit sticky through out half of these as they just would stretch

2. Recipe A + B CF 48 hours and room temp 4 hours;
dough grew 2-2.5 times the size of the original dough ball and the plastic wrap did not stick to the dough. Dough was easier to stretch then the above but still not as easy as I thought it would be need a bit of work, I could not get any of these dough to stretch bigger then 10-11" and forget a perfect round that just isn't in the cards right now. The dough was still a little sticky

After topping and cooking both doughs the 12 hour room temp doughs were harder to chew and had a good flavor but not airy and crispy the 4 hour rom temp dough were crispier but still not what I was expecting .
I have since read a lot more on dough and found a few more recipes all of which do not have EVOO in it funny that the first 2 i tried did

As for the oven it was great all the pies cooked at just around 1 minute we cooked around 20 pies and the oven ran for 1.5 hours and I saw no problems with it took just under 20 minutes to get the oven to temp I started at a 780 degree deck I have the biscotti saputo tiles I liked the idea of having the flame on the side as it allowed me to see the crust so I can turn it without it burning the top of the oven was never to hot to the touch although I never felt the bottom or the rear. The oven is light enough that I took it inside after the cook and will be definitely taking it on some tailgate in the future once I learn how to makes good dough.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Thats again
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:49:21 AM by mlc2013 »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first go at dough and with a pizzaparty ardore oven
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi Michael,

The proportions of the ingredients in your recipes look OK, although I'm not sure what you mean by "live" yeast.  As you have already noted, many recipes for high temp bakes do not contain oil, so you might want to omit it in future bakes.  If using oil, you might consider adding it further along in the mixing stage rather than adding it straight to the water.  This is done to prevent a "shortening" effect on the protein strands, which could lead to inconsistent results, though I can't really say this has been an issue for me.  To prevent the cling film from sticking, you could brush the dough balls very lightly with oil.  This will also help prevent them from drying out.

You are subjecting your doughs to very long fermentation times and some appear overfermented, especially if they have expanded to 3-4 times their original volume.  Correcting this is not just a matter of shortening the fermentation time.  It also has to do with the amount of yeast used and especially the dough temperature.  My best advice would be to peruse the forums for a step-by-step recipe and procedure, especially one that gives information on dough temperature.

If a dough ball is not fermented properly, you will inevitably encounter problems with stretching and shaping.  Think of pizza making as trying to synchronize multiple moving parts in order to get a desired finished product.  When something is off, it sets off a chain reaction.  As you gain more experience, many of the steps will become more intuitive.  To that end, you might want to experiment with some "practice" pizzas using just dough skins and some cheap tomato sauce to hone your skills.  No need to use expensive ingredients.

Despite some issues with misshapen dough skins and burnt edges, your pizzas display many of the desirable characteristics of a high temp bake.

With some adjustments and a bit of practice, you will be pulling out world class pies from the Ardore in no time.

Rolls
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Offline mlc2013

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
Rolls
Sorry I bought yeast in the refrigerator section of restaurant depot so not sure what the proper name is.

Thanks for the advice i have a few new dough recipes I found that im going to give a try this weekend and yes i definitely over fermented my dough will not take that mistake again.

I have read a few books this week as well and I see a few well lets be hones a lot of mistakes I made in my first go around and found out the dough recipes I used were for home ovens that do not get to above 550 degrees hence the EVOO early on.

Thanks again and I hope my second go will result in better dough

Michael

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »
Michael,

The refrigerated yeast you bought goes by several different names, such as compressed yeast, cake yeast, fresh yeast etc.  This yeast is already hydrated so you can add it directly to the flour rather than first dissolving it in the water.  You can still dissolve it in the water if you wish, just be sure not to leave it too long as this can be detrimental.  The other thing to keep in mind is that compressed yeast is dosed differently from both active dry yeast and instant dry yeast, so make adjustments accordingly.

While the volume of a dough ball should increase over the course of its fermentation, it should definitely not expand to 3-4 times its original size.  Judging only from your photos, the dough balls in the third tray look best to me. 

Your dough pieces at 185 gm are on the low end of what is recommended for Neapolitan pizza, so you really shouldn't expect anything much greater in diameter than the 10-11 inches you achieved.  I would suggest a dough weight of 250 gm which should be easier to handle.  Achieving the proper balance of elasticity and extensibility will make stretching the dough easier.  This depends on many factors but one thing which is always important is to let the dough balls rest sufficiently to allow the gluten network to relax.  If using cold fermentation, I like to stretch the dough about 2 hours once removed from the fridge.  As you settle on your own dough handling procedure, all of this will become more intuitive as you build experience.

Aside from what is posted in this forum, you can also check out this document for making Neapolitan pizza: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/images/file/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Rolls
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Offline mlc2013

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
I didnít take any pictures. So it probably didnít happen. Oh wait a few people posted a few on Facebook so here is what they posted.

I made 40 doughs late Friday night/ sat morning and after the first short fermentation 20 minutes I balled them and then let the last room temp ferment for 6-8 hours.

The crust was great, airy, crunchy, and delicious.

I cooked all 40 pies but made the people stretch and top their own dough after I made the first 15 as I couldnít keep up. I only lost 1 pie I dropped it off the peel loading it.

I have a few videos but don't know how to load

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress