A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help me find the recipe for this pizza please!  (Read 1825 times)

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
Help me find the recipe for this pizza please!
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Hi all, I've been eating at Como pizzeria for a while now. It's a restaurant based at southshore Montreal, Quebec, Canada.  I just love this pizza and I'd love to reproduce it myself or something very close...

I've heard so many things from so many different people. I've read a lot of forums, I checked a LOT of pictures on google and yet I can't really find a pizza with such a THICK crust just like bread and chewy texture. As you can see there is a lot of bubbles, it's a bubbly pizza especially all around it! I can't even tell which style of pizza it is. It's a mix of napolitan/american pizza?!

The sauce is bringing this crust very moist and tender and the exterior of the crust is crispy as well... The amount of cheese they put on the  pizza is insanely unhealthy but I really don't care I just want to try to reproduce it. So a picture is worth a thousand words. If YOU think you can share me some secrets to reproduce something similar please let me know!

I can get in touch with restaurant distributors in the area here and get pretty much anything I want from them, so ingredients is not a problem.  I'd love to find a good recipe with that specific outcome. Please HELP! :)

You can see a picture of their actual kitchen of the restaurant, they use a conveyor pizza oven and plates with holes to cook it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:41:30 PM by shrekpower »

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Help me find the recipe for this pizza please!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:50 AM »
It makes me think of this pie (they unload the oven at ~4:30):

Here's the whole thread for Vincent's:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36842.0

It was one of the first megathreads that I posted to -- I was shocked at how quickly I found it.   :-D

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:44:18 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
Chest hair and cigarette ashes.  My two favorite toppings.
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Looks like an American style pizza.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »
It was one of the first megathreads that I posted to -- I was shocked at how quickly I found it.   :-D
That thing was a hoot. Wonder how many times the term ‘dough patty’ was used. I remember being unhappy with myself for making myself read the whole thing.  :-D
-Tony

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
Bump! :)

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »
 Those guys are nuts. He was pretty rough with the dough.

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Since I like a very thick, bready crust, I use something pretty close to bread dough, leavened with (lots of) sourdough, seasoned appropriately and stuffed.

Offline jsaras

Help me find the recipe for this pizza please!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
It’s an American-style conveyor oven pizza.  You will not be able to duplicate the bake of that type of oven, but a home oven can produce something equally as good. 

I would suggest Big Dave Ostander’s “New Faithful” dough, with a thickness factor of 0.11 or greater.  You could bake it on a screen or any kind of round pizza pan.

100%, Flour,
60%, Water (70 degrees F)
2%, Salt
3%, Sugar
1%, Instant dry yeast (IDY)
3%, Oil

Original Thickness factor (TF) = 0.11 (medium thickness)

1) Combine the IDY with the flour

2) Put the water into the bowl of a stand mixer together with the salt and sugar, and stir to completely dissolve, about 30 seconds.
3) Gradually add the flour mixture, about a tablespoon or two at a time, and mix at Stir speed, using a spatula to help incorporate the flour into the water and to move the dough mixture into the path of the dough hook.

4) When the flour has pretty much been taking up by the water and a rough dough ball forms, add the oil and continue to knead at Stir or 1 speed for about another minute or so to fully incorporate the oil.

5) continue to knead the dough at speed 2 for about 5-6 minutes, or until the dough clears the side of the bowl and forms a smooth, yet somewhat tacky ball without tears on the outer surface.

6) hand knead the finished dough for about 30 seconds, shape into a ball or disk, lightly oil, and place within a container.

7) Immediately place in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours

Tom Lehmann posted this formula for an Emergency American-style dough which is also worth exploring:

Flour (100%)
Water (56.5%) (100 degrees)
IDY (1.07%)
Salt (1.75%)
Olive Oil (6.56213%)
Sugar (4.36023%)
Total (170.67236%)

TF= .08 to 0.136 , Residue= 1.5%

How to Prepare:

1) Suspend yeast in the water, add a pinch of sugar and stir well. Set aside to activate for 10 minutes.

2) Place flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir the yeast suspension and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl.

3) Using a wooden spoon stir the mixture for 1 minute. Add the oil and continue mixing (stirring) until the dough becomes too thick to stir with the wooden spoon. (Generally 2 to 4 minutes).

4) Cover the bowl with foil, waxed paper, or damp towel and set aside to
Ferment for 1 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down as necessary to keep it in the bowl.

5) Turn the dough out onto a floured bench or counter top, knead the dough by hand for about 2 minutes, oil the mixing bowl, and place the dough back into the bowl for 15 to 30 minutes.

6) Turn the dough out again onto a lightly floured bench or counter top, using a knife or bench scraper, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.

7) Lightly flour each dough piece, and roll out thin. If the dough tends to shrink back after rolling, set it aside for 10 minutes on a floured surface, and roll or stretch it by hand to fit pizza pan or stone.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
It’s an American-style conveyor oven pizza.  You will not be able to duplicate the bake of that type of oven, but a home oven can produce something equally as good. 

I would suggest Big Dave Ostander’s “New Faithful” dough, with a thickness factor of 0.11 or greater.  You could bake it on a screen or any kind of round pizza pan.

Thank you so much for your help I will definitely TRY it and show you the outcome ;)

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
100%, Flour,
60%, Water (70 degrees F)
2%, Salt
3%, Sugar
1%, Instant dry yeast (IDY)
3%, Oil

Do you have a specific Flour type to recommended to achieve that kind of results as well?

Offline jsaras

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »
Do you have a specific Flour type to recommended to achieve that kind of results as well?

King Arthur Bread Flour or GM Better For Bread both would be excellent.  All-purpose will work, if that’s all you can get.   I’d reduce the water by 1-2% for AP flour.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »
After many attempts, I've accomplished a partial success to reproduce it! If anyone interested, I'll post the ingredients!
Last 2 pictures were from another pie I made but this one stayed much longer in the fridge!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:00:37 PM by shrekpower »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
After many attempts, I've accomplished a partial success to reproduce it! If anyone interested, I'll post the ingredients!
Last 2 pictures were from another pie I made but this one stayed much longer in the fridge!
Maaate!!!!  [email protected]*k they look good.
Mick

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Maaate!!!!  [email protected]*k they look good.

Haha it taste awesome, crispy crust with very soft bread like dough inside!
I'm so proud of these!

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
I'm so proud of these!
I reckon you are entitled to be.
Mick

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 09:23:28 PM »

[...]

Honestly? This is a joke!? How can you make and then sell pizza this way?  >:(
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »

Of course there will be people interested!  :P
I, for one, would like to know what were the critical factors that made you get the result you want? Is it the baking? The dough formula?...
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 09:30:10 PM »
Honestly? This is a joke!? How can you make and then sell pizza this way?  >:(
It's got me confused. Dood looks like he could not give a flying f..k what anyone thinks, doesn't even look like he cuts it all the way through, but the end result looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:33:45 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline shrekpower

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 10:58:10 PM »
Of course there will be people interested!  :P
I, for one, would like to know what were the critical factors that made you get the result you want? Is it the baking? The dough formula?...

That's a very good question! I started being VERY interested into making french baguettes. I didn't know I would achieve such success quickly (in my opinion) it was a success!

So what I quickly realized is that all I wanted out of my pizza dough was exactly just like a baguette... So I went ahead and made exactly the SAME recipe as a baguette and started making it as a pizza and Voilà!

So what you see there is coming not from a pizza dough recipe but, just a simple baguette recipe. Here is some screenshots of my baguettes!

My recipe does contain honey, but no oil at all. The only problem I have is the elasticity of the dough. I find it very difficult to stretch just like you would with a normal pizza dough. I think I will try it with some oil.

Here's the whole guide on how to prepare your dough. From this recipe, I simply invite people to be creative and make yourself your own pizza with this recipe and let me know the outcome.
https://tasteofartisan.com/french-baguette-recipe/

Cooking is as follows : 
I put a squared 9 x 9 pyrex (half to 3/4 filled with water), Pizza stone in, fire it up @500F for at least 30 minutes. Careful when you open the oven, the steam might burn your face(it happened to me). 

Stage one :
Put the pizza directly on the stone with a lot of semolia underneath to make sure you can slide it easly, bring the temp back to 475F or leave it at 500F , no big difference here, bake for a good 10-15 minutes.   
The LONGER you wait for this stage, the crispier your bottom and crust will be. It'd be a good idea to simply open the oven, lift the pizza and check the crust at the bottom to make sure it will survive for stage 2.
Many people will have different oven, different stones. My oven is the worst thing in the world, doesn't even have convection on it. 

Stage Two: Broil for ~4 minutes until the cheese is golden all around the pizza. Do not be scared to burn the crust a little, it's totally normal since this crust is bubbly.   

I really hope someone try it and share their experience if they are up to the challenge ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:17:05 PM by shrekpower »

wordpress