A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Don't judge this setup  (Read 335 times)

Offline vmiaptetr

• I Love Pizza!
Don't judge this setup
« on: December 21, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
Until I move out to my new property, I'm having to improvise on an actual outdoor pizza oven. I'll build the big one once we move. Anyway, I slapped this together in my fire pit. I plan to light a fire under the clay bricks and inside the oven as well. I think the lower fire will help get the temp up since it's not insulated. We'll see what happens.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Don't judge this setup
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
Won't need the fire under the floor IMO. That would probably screw up the balance between floor and roof.

Offline vmiaptetr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
Won't need the fire under the floor IMO. That would probably screw up the balance between floor and roof.

We'll see what happens. I've tried something similar without the fire underneath. I was able to get the temp up to about 700 Farenheit. I just bought my first batch of Caputo 00 flour, so I'm trying to get to that 900 mark.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
on reflection, you may need it, because the oven chamber doesn't have a lot of spare room for a fire.
If those are your standard 4.5" by 9" bricks, the floor looks to be about 18 inches deep, 22 inches wide?

Offline vmiaptetr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
on reflection, you may need it, because the oven chamber doesn't have a lot of spare room for a fire.
If those are your standard 4.5" by 9" bricks, the floor looks to be about 18 inches deep, 22 inches wide?

Agreed. Yes, standard size clay bricks. It is a very redneck (I prefer "primitive") setup.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
believe he's got enough room in there ... I'd place the wood on the right.... Got a lil better air flow over there.  😁
Agreed. Yes, standard size clay bricks. It is a very redneck (I prefer "primitive") setup.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vmiaptetr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
It turned out okay. A couple things that I dealt with:

1. I shouldn't have lit both fires at the same time. The smoke from the lower fire will choke out the fire in the actual oven. But once it dies down, the heat from the floor will naturally ignite the oven fire.

2. I'm in TX and the current temperature was 50 degrees Fahrenheit. After I moved the wood and made room for the first pie, the floor was reading 931 degrees. I'm guessing because it was not really insulated, the temperature had dropped significantly by the time I threw the fourth pie in.

The first one I did was based off of a DiFara clone recipe found on this forum. It was legit. The second one was similar, but with pepperoni. Third was a pesto base with a couple of cheeses and aragula. The final one was made with some leftover brisket I had smoked, mexican cheese blend, and basic bbq sauce. I'm not much on BBQ pizzas, but I guess since I could put what I wanted on it, it helped. By the time the brisket one had gone in, the temp was reading right at 600 degrees.

Offline vmiaptetr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
It wouldn't let me add these pictures with the previous post. Just trying to show the results.

wordpress