A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: first bread bake  (Read 1456 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: first bread bake
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 12:12:00 PM »
^^Barry, thanks, I cut into the loaf an hour after baking and while the crust was great, the bread was a little soft and dense. But as per your observation, something magical happened overnight, the bread is now light and airy and has definitely improved in taste.

Looks great, QD! Hard to believe it's your first!

thanks bill, I guess working with pizza dough and youtube videos helped. Actually, I was thinking had I just relied on the photos in the book (as opposed to watching youtube videos), it would have been a disaster.

best,
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:33:02 PM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
some thoughts:
- when we met bill and deb for the new haven tour, bill mentioned that eating homemade sourdough bread wouldn't affect our weight. I was skeptical but after eating the majority of a loaf and a half over the last week, I actually lost a little weight. Just one data point, wondering what others have found.

- One of the online guides suggested putting parchment paper on a pizza peel (It just so happens I own a couple :) )  flipping the dough out from the basket/bowl on to the paper and using it to transfer the dough to the dutch oven. This worked really well and took a lot of stress out of that part of the process.

- I'm thinking sourdough English muffins are next. Believe it or not, there's a mini-scandal in our small town around these muffins, I'll write about it after that bake.

best,
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:57:06 PM by quietdesperation »
A wondrous sweet

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
- when we met bill and deb for the new haven tour, bill mentioned that eating homemade sourdough bread wouldn't affect our weight. I was skeptical but after eating the majority of a loaf and a half over the last week, I actually lost a little weight. Just one data point, wondering what others have found.

Wish it were so!  I guess it depends on the rate at which you're consuming the bread.  Perhaps sourdough bread, or a bread with a high fiber content, may present certain "health" advantages over "regular" bread, but I put them all in the same category insofar as they all induce a similar insulin response.

Quote from: quietdesperation
- One of the online guides suggested putting parchment paper on a pizza peel (It just so happens I own a couple :) )  flipping the dough out from the basket/bowl on to the paper and using it to transfer the dough to the dutch oven. This worked really well and took a lot of stress out of that part of the process.

I used to do that too, but now I actually find it safer to just grab the dough and gently lower it into the baking vessel, as Ken Forkish does in this video:

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »
No stress when using this: https://shop.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp

I only heat the top, placing the dough into the cool bottom. No way to get burned.

Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »
I make a levain with starter straight from the fridge. Equal parts of everything, usually ready to go in 4-6 hours.

Tim, this is a great tip  :chef: Tried for the first time yesterday, equal parts flour, water and starter straight from fridge, into our 77F oven, ready in less than four hours. Allows one to go from starter to levain to bake in same day (though I like to proof overnight).

best,
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:42:20 AM by quietdesperation »
A wondrous sweet

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
No stress when using this: https://shop.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp

I only heat the top, placing the dough into the cool bottom. No way to get burned.
I saw this in March but hadn’t purchased mine yet so the price meant nothing to me. For anyone looking for this pan, the Lodge link above has a price of $62. I paid $34.90 at Amazon in early June. It is still that price today. For a dollar or two I wouldn’t disrupt the conversation here but this is a pretty big difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JKG9M/?tag=pmak-20
-Tony

wordpress