A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Song' E Napule Pizzeria NYC  (Read 3139 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Song' E Napule Pizzeria NYC
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
I first went here about a week and a half ago. Since then I went twice more!

If you didn't know better you'd think you are Italy. Very small, very cool space. Between Italian locals and tourist, you'll hear mostly Italian spoken.

I don't think I've had a better tasting crust than theirs. Not as soft as da Michele as Song bakes for about 100 seconds but very, very good. Certainly my favorite in NYC.

The pasta is also very good. I had never heard of Paccheri Alla Genovese before but it is very tasty!

The was that days special, topped with Bacalao. First time I've had seafood on a pie...I'd have it again.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:11:36 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
Re: Song' E Napule Pizzeria NYC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
Looks good! Added it to my list. Thanks!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
 On Hans's recommendation we ate at song last Friday. the pizza was fabulous as was the pizzeria. it was very small and could have been on any street in Naples.the owner was very outgoing and played the crowed. it is a very small pizzeria restaurant. and the day we were there there was a line to get in. most customers were either Italian tourists or locals. the pizzeria has just won an award in Italy for best pizzeria 2019. that probably bring in a lot of Italian visitors. the place had a very high energy vibe.
i was able to talk with the owner who imports all ingredients from Italy. his cheese really stood out an it was from avalino, tomatoes, are pictured, and he blends flour none were caputo. he said his food cost are very high and hoped the pizza reflected the high cost ingredients.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:41:38 PM by thezaman »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:21:15 PM »
On Hans's recommendation we ate at song last Friday. the pizza was fabulous as was the pizzeria. it was very small and could have been on any street in Naples.the owner was very outgoing and played the crowed. it is a very small pizzeria restaurant. and the day we were there there was a line to get in. most customers were either Italian tourists or locals. the pizzeria has just won an award in Italy for best pizzeria 2019. that probably bring in a lot of Italian visitors. the place had a very high energy vibe.
i was able to talk with the owner who imports all ingredients from Italy. his cheese really stood out an it was from avalino, tomatoes, are pictured, and he blends flour none were caputo. he said his food cost are very high and hoped the pizza reflected the high cost ingredients.

Pie looks on point!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:54 PM »
That looks terrific!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
added to my list!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
added to my list!

That looks terrific!

I'll be in the city next week. Maybe we can meet up.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Would love to but we’ll be in Stockholm  ;)
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »
Would love to but we’ll be in Stockholm  ;)

Nice city, enjoy!
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks Hans...please let me know :)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 07:36:55 AM »
I first went here about a week and a half ago. Since then I went twice more!

If you didn't know better you'd think you are Italy. Very small, very cool space. Between Italian locals and tourist, you'll hear mostly Italian spoken.

I don't think I've had a better tasting crust than theirs. Not as soft as da Michele as Song bakes for about 100 seconds but very, very good. Certainly my favorite in NYC.

The pasta is also very good. I had never heard of Paccheri Alla Genovese before but it is very tasty!

The was that days special, topped with Bacalao. First time I've had seafood on a pie...I'd have it again.

Adding Song ’E Napule to my list of places to try
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline benk72

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
Was up there in October and am disappointed I didn't go. Going to make some Pasta alla Genovese on Sunday but now you've got me thinking I should just go ahead and do it right now. One of my favorites and possibly the most underrated neapolitan dishes.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
Looks good! I’ll be down there in March. Thanks for posting.

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
Just want to add another quick but strong endorsement of this place, I've been twice now and don't think I could go enough times to be satisfied. For a marinara and a margherita, I've never had better. Small oven, quick bakes, incredibly soft and pillowy crust. Also, feels almost like you're inside someone's home, and I mean that because of how small it is as well as how friendly and hospitable the crew is. Five star spot. Furthermore, completely outshined some of the more well-known NP spots in the area, in my book.
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
I'm happy that you were able to go there. So good that I went three times in a week! I agree that there is no reason to have NP anywhere else at this time.
Hans

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
The pizzas do look fantastic.  The space looks tiny, does anyone know if they are hand mixing?

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
I can't personally speak to the mixing method. I can tell you that if you need to use the restroom while you're there, they will happily show you the way--it's right past the register and phones, past the slicer, around the stack of dough trays to the left of the oven. As difficult as it can be to find a public restroom in Manhattan, I've so far been too shy to ask to use their facilities because I don't want to have to walk through their space. If we still don't have an answer to the mixing question by the next time I go, I'll brave up and see if I notice a mixer on my walk-through to wash my hands.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
Thx for checking in.  Im sure they would tell you if they are hand mixing, thats pretty cool for a commercial operation

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 07:49:47 AM »
I was there last week (went for a week trip to NYC with the wife) and had a pizza there after a long walk from Chelsea Market.

The dough is not to bad if slightly too elastic and topping are good but the it was not greatly formed on the counter and cooking could have been much better, nevertheless, one of the best pizza I had in NYC.

The only toilet is accessible through the kitchen, where you can see a spiral mixer.

Still, I would happily recommend them over previous experience I had in NYC (I was there also in 2017 and tried few other proper Neapolitan options).

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
Do you remember who it was that cooked your pizza? I've been twice, and in those experiences, the pizza cooked by the young man with the shaved head was much more attentively baked than the pizza cooked by the young man with the ponytail. Still, even the slightly more charred pizza was a class above other wood fired places I've tried in the city.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for verifying the spiral mixer!

wordpress