A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Wild fennel from Italy  (Read 403 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Wild fennel from Italy
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:39:31 AM »
My friend farmer Tom brought me some wild fennel he grew from some wild fennel seeds.  Tom found the wild fennel plants and seeds when he was in Italy a few years ago.  They were just growing along a back road. The fennel leaves smell so good and much different than regular fennel.  Am going to dry the fennel leaves then crush them for using in sausage for pizza.

Norma

Offline goosta

Re: Wild fennel from Italy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Sounds amazing!  :D

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »
My friend farmer Tom brought me some wild fennel he grew from some wild fennel seeds.  Tom found the wild fennel plants and seeds when he was in Italy a few years ago.  They were just growing along a back road. The fennel leaves smell so good and much different than regular fennel.  Am going to dry the fennel leaves then crush them for using in sausage for pizza.

Norma
OH wow that gonna be some good sausage!    :D
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
If interested in wild fennel from Italy, this blogger says seeds can be purchased from Seeds from Italy.

https://www.cookingwithrosetta.com/blogposts/foraging-and-cooking-wild-fennel

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »
Have you seen any of the bulbs this produced from your farmer friend? So many ways to use fennel parts!
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »
Have you seen any of the bulbs this produced from your farmer friend? So many ways to use fennel parts!

Tony,

No bulbs in the kind of fennel Tom gave me.  Not sure exactly the type of fennel Tom brought.

https://www.growitalian.com/wild-fennel-flowering-finocchio-selvatico-62-18/

http://www.eattheweeds.com/wild-fennel-foeniculum-vulgare/

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »
Intereting links, Norma, Thank you. I have a good friend here in town from Greece. I will ask him about Greek fennel. He comes through with some amazing oregano once in a while - huge bags of it.

Recently, I bought some fennel pollen on Amazon. Have only used it twice but love it so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YJ45SK/?tag=pmak-20

Typically, I use a lot of fennel seed in our big meatball batch just before Christmas but we are having to opt out of that family project this year due to my health. Next year...!

-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
Intereting links, Norma, Thank you. I have a good friend here in town from Greece. I will ask him about Greek fennel. He comes through with some amazing oregano once in a while - huge bags of it.

Recently, I bought some fennel pollen on Amazon. Have only used it twice but love it so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YJ45SK/?tag=pmak-20

Typically, I use a lot of fennel seed in our big meatball batch just before Christmas but we are having to opt out of that family project this year due to my health. Next year...!

Tony,

Yes, ask your friend about the Greek fennel since he is from Greece.  Earlier this past spring I was over at farmer Tom's.  In his one barn the wild dried fennel was hanging.  I asked him what it was and asked to smell and taste it.  Was amazed at how sweet the fennel was, and it tasted and smelled much different than fennel seeds that can be purchased in supermarkets.  At that moment knew if I could get my hands on some of that, would try to make sausage with the wild fennel.  Was trying to find on the web where to purchase the wild fennel seeds, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I can only imagine how amazing the oregano your friend brings you.  I was lucky that my nephew (who is part Greek) gave me some of his Greek oregano this past year.  Did dry it and am using it in my sauce and also on pizzas.  It is so different than Greek oregano's I have tried to grow before.

Thanks for the link to the fennel pollen you purchased on Amazon.  I heard fennel pollen is amazing.  Glad you love it.  Might have to try some of that fennel pollen someday.

I saw you make big meatball batches just before Christmas in recent years, but guess I didn't see you used a lot of fennel seed in those batches.  Hope your heath improves a lot in the coming year.

Norma

wordpress