A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Apollonia Pizza - Los Angeles  (Read 206 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Apollonia Pizza - Los Angeles
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:53:56 PM »
I had a yen for some stranger pie last night; so I Yelped, saw good reviews for Apollonia on Wilshire Boulevard and decided to head on over.  Not cheap.  Over 30 bucks for a 20-inch sausage/basil pizza and two sodas.  It was pretty damn good though.  I wasn't alone; so I couldn't do a full investigation, but here's what I tasted as well as what I was able to ferret out with a couple of questions.  The crust, especially at the rim, was very flavorful and full of bubbles.  I definitely sensed extended fermentation in both flavor and texture.  The sauce was nice, bursting with tomato flavor and definitely thicker than a NY, paint-it-on sauce.  Could have been 7-11's - that degree of concentration.  The cheese had characteristics of both fresh and aged mozzarella.  It could have been a mix or maybe an in-between cheese.  It was hard to see behind the counter from where we were sitting.  It was nice and creamy though with good flavor and some stringing.  The undercarriage, which I was too lazy to get a pic of, was probably the most underwhelming feature.  A soft, very thin, underbelly with nice color, but a little bit of caked-on bench flour.  It wasn't enough to ruin what was good, but it put a ding in overall quality as far as I was concerned.  The dough looked really wet for making a 20-inch pie.  There was no real initial table stretch.  Some fingertip flattening followed by picking it up and stretching.  What impressed me was that it opened with virtually no effort, but, despite all that extensibility, there never seemed to be a risk of tearing.  It looked like he was stretching a cloud.  I asked the guy who brought us our pie about the hydration, but he had no clue.  He did tell me that the owner has a prized starter, which explains the depth of flavor.  He also, when pressed, said they keep the dough around a few days before using it; so there you go.  All in all, it was a bit expensive, but for the square pizza footage and the quality, I felt like I got my money's worth.  I shall return!

- GB

P.S. - The sausage was fantastic.  I didn't ask, but I'll bet they make it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:57:51 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline jsaras

Re: Apollonia Pizza - Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »
Their Instragram photos of their square pies look almost surreal.  Iíve been wanting to try it out.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:40:19 AM »
It's actually not a high hydration dough - just a long ferment. 3 days. Very well fermented/some gluten degradation. That's why it's so soft. I'm guessing the caked on flour you saw was due to the state of the doughball - at that stage it'll pick up some extra flour for sure. They also do a pan pie on the weekends (it's like a parbaked DSP.)

LA has a lot of new pizza popping up. Roberta's has a brick and mortar now. Superfine is supposed to be very good, I'm told.

I had a yen for some stranger pie last night; so I Yelped, saw good reviews for Apollonia on Wilshire Boulevard and decided to head on over.  Not cheap.  Over 30 bucks for a 20-inch sausage/basil pizza and two sodas.  It was pretty damn good though.  I wasn't alone; so I couldn't do a full investigation, but here's what I tasted as well as what I was able to ferret out with a couple of questions.  The crust, especially at the rim, was very flavorful and full of bubbles.  I definitely sensed extended fermentation in both flavor and texture.  The sauce was nice, bursting with tomato flavor and definitely thicker than a NY, paint-it-on sauce.  Could have been 7-11's - that degree of concentration.  The cheese had characteristics of both fresh and aged mozzarella.  It could have been a mix or maybe an in-between cheese.  It was hard to see behind the counter from where we were sitting.  It was nice and creamy though with good flavor and some stringing.  The undercarriage, which I was too lazy to get a pic of, was probably the most underwhelming feature.  A soft, very thin, underbelly with nice color, but a little bit of caked-on bench flour.  It wasn't enough to ruin what was good, but it put a ding in overall quality as far as I was concerned.  The dough looked really wet for making a 20-inch pie.  There was no real initial table stretch.  Some fingertip flattening followed by picking it up and stretching.  What impressed me was that it opened with virtually no effort, but, despite all that extensibility, there never seemed to be a risk of tearing.  It looked like he was stretching a cloud.  I asked the guy who brought us our pie about the hydration, but he had no clue.  He did tell me that the owner has a prized starter, which explains the depth of flavor.  He also, when pressed, said they keep the dough around a few days before using it; so there you go.  All in all, it was a bit expensive, but for the square pizza footage and the quality, I felt like I got my money's worth.  I shall return!

- GB

P.S. - The sausage was fantastic.  I didn't ask, but I'll bet they make it.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:24:08 AM »
It's actually not a high hydration dough - just a long ferment. 3 days. Very well fermented/some gluten degradation. That's why it's so soft. I'm guessing the caked on flour you saw was due to the state of the doughball - at that stage it'll pick up some extra flour for sure. They also do a pan pie on the weekends (it's like a parbaked DSP.)

LA has a lot of new pizza popping up. Roberta's has a brick and mortar now. Superfine is supposed to be very good, I'm told.
I just took a look at Superfine on Yelp.  Those pies look great.  San Pedro is not on my way to ANYWHERE, but I may have to make a special trip!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:32:56 AM »
Their Instragram photos of their square pies look almost surreal.  Iíve been wanting to try it out.
It was weird.  They had many pre-made square pies both behind the counter and on some kind of a rack right next to the counter.  I was trying to figure out what was going on with that, but I was too busy eating to get around to it.  I did take note, though, and they did look amazing.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:53:33 PM »
If you're into parbaked pizza  :angel:

That being said - I know it's been beaten to death but I've never had a bad pie at Gjelina...

It was weird.  They had many pre-made square pies both behind the counter and on some kind of a rack right next to the counter.  I was trying to figure out what was going on with that, but I was too busy eating to get around to it.  I did take note, though, and they did look amazing.