A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: looking for slice variety in Manhattan  (Read 357 times)

Offline gfgman

looking for slice variety in Manhattan
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
Happy Holidays.  It's been awhile since I've been on here.  I'm headed to the city in a couple weeks.  Here's what I'm looking for.   I was able to get back home to the Jersey Shore for a brief visit a few weeks ago, and stopped at Frank's, my long time favorite pizza shop.  They've got all kinds of stuff under the glass.  Plain slices, margherita, Sicilian, loaded slices, boli's, killer garlic knots, etc.  Very similar to what you can find on the boardwalk.  Big, thin, and crispy.  Anyway, I'm looking for a place like that in the city.  I know I've seen some, but can't remember where.  As I recall, Joe's only has a plain slice and a margherita.  I went to  Famous Ray's location.  I don't remember what they had, but it wasn't very good. 
I used to really like Pomodoro in Soho, which does have all kinds of stuff under the glass, but I didn't like it the last time I was there.  I'd love to try somewhere else in another part of the city. 

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: looking for slice variety in Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
NY Pizza Suprema has more variety than most. http://nypizzasuprema.com/menu.html
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »
In spite of the transit hub location  :o ;D , there are some very good slices with a ton of variety at Rose's Pizza in lower level of Penn Station, 34th between Seventh and Eighth ..also really good spinach and sausage rolls, Sicilian, grandma, all quite good. Ther are three or four Rose's all on the same level...they bought out their competition. I think the quality is identical, but one of the bigger spots will have more options.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
We ended up going to NY Pizza Suprema.  I did see Rose's in Penn Station after the fact.  It looked pretty good, but they also have the advantage of massive foot traffic through there.  We walked from 14th up to Pizza Suprema at 31st.  We passed other places that had lots of variety under the glass.  They were pretty empty.  When we got to Suprema, the line to order was out the door.  We were fortunate to get a seat.  I thought it was fantastic.  The slices were thin, crispy, and big.  Cheaper than the Jersey boardwalks, and they knocked it out of the park for my tastes.  I had a plain and a margherita.  My daughter kept saying she didn't want pizza, that she was saving room for chinese.  I told her chinese was later, and that she needed to eat something now.  She was going to share with Mom, but my gut said get an extra slice.  She's not much of a pizza fan.   She scarfed it down and then wanted more.  I think we found another go to spot to put on our list.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress