A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chinese Take Out/Sit Down in Manhattan  (Read 246 times)

Offline gfgman

Chinese Take Out/Sit Down in Manhattan
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
Looking for some places in Manahattan that have the standard Chinese takeout menu that we are used to.  I know we ate at one on the outskirts of Chinatown, but would like to find ones in other parts of the city.  Our typical chinese order is Crab Rangoons, combination plates of Sesame Chicken and Chicken Lo-Mein with pork fried rice, and egg rolls.  Can't be spicy though.  I shouldn't eat spicy, but I would enjoy it.  My wife and daughter, not so much.
The best chicken lo-mein I've ever had was at Ollie's noodle house in Times Square, but that place is long gone.  I'd go for a place that has killer chicken lo-mein, but I want to make sure they have other stuff to satisfy the rest of the family.  I've found that 2 out 3 take out places in any given area make it about right for me. 
Funny thing, we walked one time from Times Square to Battery Park, and we passed several chinese takeout places.  On a later trip, we discovered that the noodle house was gone, so we started walking.  We could not find a chinese restaurant.  I finally thought we had stumbled onto one, only to read the menu and realize we were in the Korean neighborhood.  We ended up taking the subway to Chinatown, and ate at the first place we came to, a couple blocks from the station.  It was the regular takeout menu we are used to, as well as a house special menu of healthier options that appeared to be a hit with the locals.  It was cheaper than any place I've been to in any other state, and very good for my taste, but I'm not looking to go to Chinatown on this trip.   

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: Chinese Take Out/Sit Down in Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
Looks like Ollie's at 42nd and Ninth is still open, and according to website while they feature Sichuan dishes, they have all the regular non-spicy items from their other locations.

https://ollieseats.com/ollies-sichuan

Online Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »
Might be too far away but pretty good ...
http://tastyhandpullednoodles.com
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline gfgman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:59:34 PM »
Hmmm.  Might have to try some of those if I can get there by myself.  We might have to wing it this time around.  I can't seem to find the place we ate at last time.  I can't remember the name either.  I've been scouring google, and so far can't find a place that has the combination platters on their menu.  Apparently I'm looking for Cantonese cuisine, but I'm not finding any place with the typical menu we are used to seeing here in PA.

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:03:17 AM »
Hmmm.  Might have to try some of those if I can get there by myself.  We might have to wing it this time around.  I can't seem to find the place we ate at last time.  I can't remember the name either.  I've been scouring google, and so far can't find a place that has the combination platters on their menu.  Apparently I'm looking for Cantonese cuisine, but I'm not finding any place with the typical menu we are used to seeing here in PA.

If you want a really good meal you may want to check out Xi'an Famous Foods. Several locations in NYC. Not standard American Chinese food though.
Hans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
If you want a really good meal you may want to check out Xi'an Famous Foods. Several locations in NYC. Not standard American Chinese food though.

One of these days...  It's on my bucket list.   I was about to give up on Chinese food locally until a certain place opened a few years ago.  Had it tonight.  I resisted the urge to over order and we're all pleasantly satiated.
John

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
One of these days...  It's on my bucket list.   I was about to give up on Chinese food locally until a certain place opened a few years ago.  Had it tonight.  I resisted the urge to over order and we're all pleasantly satiated.

There is one right around the corner from Johns. We should have gone there for a taste after!! Next time.
Hans

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Just went to the one in Brooklyn on Wednesday...a more limited menu than standard Chinese fare, but OMG..so delicious...hand pulled noodles with assorted wonderful toppings...for me N1, spicy lamb; for my wife , the marinated pork, N9...I love this place!

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »
Just went to the one in Brooklyn on Wednesday...a more limited menu than standard Chinese fare, but OMG..so delicious...hand pulled noodles with assorted wonderful toppings...for me N1, spicy lamb; for my wife , the marinated pork, N9...I love this place!

I'm with you N1 is my favorite!
Hans

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
It called my name...I answered :-D

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:09 AM »
There is one right around the corner from Johns. We should have gone there for a taste after!! Next time.

I walked by it and was tempted.  I should have got some to bring home.  N1 for sure.  I always order lamb when it's on the menu. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:29:01 AM by jkb »
John

wordpress