A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New favourite GF recipe: "new York Style' Foldable Pizza Crust" from Celiac.com  (Read 93 times)

Offline emsuro

• I Love Pizza!
I've been trying to find my go-to gluten free pizza dough this year. I've had good success with the Caputo Fiore Glut mix (which is especially nice when you're trying to feed vegan/dairy-free/egg-free people), but it's a little hard to track down (so far I've found Urban Fare, Cioffi's, and Puccini's in the greater Vancouver region in Canada have it) and is also quite expensive.

I stumbled across this very old recipe on the Celiac.com forums, and it's surprisingly good! It is apparently based on a recipe made by Carol Fenster.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
1 1/3 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/3 cup brown rice flour (used Authentic Mills superfine brown rice flour)
1 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons guar gum (probably could sub xanthan gum instead if that's all you have on hand)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (I substituted 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp onion powder to go with a wider range of toppings)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk.
In a separate larger bowl, blend together dry ingredients.
Stir in yeast mixture to dry ingredient mixture.
Add oil and apple cider vinegar.
Mix well.

I mixed it in my stand mixer for a couple of minutes, cooked it in my oven at 550 F on a 1/4 inch pizza steel that had been pre-heated. Parbaked it for around 4 minutes before putting the toppings on.

My friends and I preferred this one to the Food Network's potato based recipe in a taste off. When I had a taste off between the Caputo gf mix and this one, my taste testers kept flipping back and forth between the two for their favorite, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I don't have a picture right now, but will try to upload one next time.  :) If anyone else has a recipe they think I must try, let me know! My only requirement are that I don't want it to involve a pre-made flour mix (like cup4cup--my cupboards are already full of the individual flours).

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Hey there, thanks for sharing the recipe. I remember trying it long ago, but switched to the FioreGlut. I hear what you're saying about it being hard to find--the Italian Centre here in Edmonton now carries it, thank goodness, otherwise I'd have no practical way to get hold of it.

The reason I switched away from that recipe you posted was it just was such a pain to put together with all the ingredients. The great thing about the FioreGlut is that it's just the flour, salt, yeast, water, and oil. Takes two seconds to throw together.

Do you really find the FioreGlut expensive? They sell the 1kg bags here for around $12, and often have sales down to $9. I make five 16-inch NY style pizzas out of that, so it works out to under $3 a pie. I think that's not too bad, given that a 12-inch pizza at Pizza73 is like $12 at this point :)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Forgot to mention--I believe Valoroso Foods has it as well in the Vancouver area--might be a bit cheaper there, as it's a distributor.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress