A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Fermentation lids for mason jars  (Read 258 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Fermentation lids for mason jars
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
I thought these might come in handy for sourdough starters, sponges and poolishes and preferments...eliminates the need to degas the jars due to pressure build-up, and also eliminates the risk of mold for other fermented foods, such as Kimchi or Sauerkraut.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYM653J/?tag=pmak-20
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
Re: Fermentation lids for mason jars
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Couldn't you just use a regular lid and only tighten it slightly, like when you put it into a hot water bath for canning?
--pat--

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Couldn't you just use a regular lid and only tighten it slightly, like when you put it into a hot water bath for canning?

Wouldn't that still let air in? I think these lids prevent that.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »

Thats what I have been doing for over a year.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
I prefer using Fido/le parfait/kilner style jars with the volcanic rubber seals and spring bails (I know my terminology is a bit off). They actually do exactly this naturally (off-gas, while being a one-way valve). And I use them for my ferments and my starter. They work amazing!

Of course if someone has tons of mason jars and isn’t looking to change their whole system.....

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
I thought these might come in handy for sourdough starters, sponges and poolishes and preferments...eliminates the need to degas the jars due to pressure build-up, and also eliminates the risk of mold for other fermented foods, such as Kimchi or Sauerkraut.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYM653J/?tag=pmak-20

Mike,

I use a similar top (Masontops) for lactofermenting pickles, cabbage, and other vegetables. Too often, mold forms which I assume means oxygen is getting in. Probably not an issue with starters, but I no longer use these for pickling.

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
After trying several different jars for starter I have settled Weck jars. straight sides make them easy to use. Just remove the rubber and clamps. Glass tops sit nicely.

https://websecure.cnchost.com/weckjars.com/productsDetail.php?category=3
Hans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
Mike,

I use a similar top (Masontops) for lactofermenting pickles, cabbage, and other vegetables. Too often, mold forms which I assume means oxygen is getting in. Probably not an issue with starters, but I no longer use these for pickling.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. Like you said, for starters and such they may be fine. I think I'm going to order a set and see how they work with a poolishes.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
After trying several different jars for starter I have settled Weck jars. straight sides make them easy to use. Just remove the rubber and clamps. Glass tops sit nicely.

https://websecure.cnchost.com/weckjars.com/productsDetail.php?category=3

There you go...that might even be a better solution. ;D
Mike

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »
Mike,

I should try an airlock on my levain jar

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/fermented-pickle-recipe.jpg
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
My brother has been using tops like these for years for pickling!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
I just use a plain old 1 qt cambro with hard plastic snap on lid.  Working well for years now.  Learned it from a commercial guy that used a one gallon cambro with same hard plastic lid.  These are the lids that snap on, but don't have an airtight seal.
All the best, Dave

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »
My Weck jars in action.

Hans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
Hans,

I'm surprised the lid wasn't blown off.  :)
Mike

wordpress