A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Margherita sauce still isn't cutting it  (Read 421 times)

Offline jmoore

• I Love Pizza!
Margherita sauce still isn't cutting it
« on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I've been on a quest to make a good Margherita for a while now. I'm quite happy with the dough/crust, but just can't get the tomatoes to taste like some of my favorite pizzerias like UNA, Robertas, and Motorino. I feel like I've tried just about every canned tomato available in the US, and just can't seem to get that same delicate sweetness that I'm seeking. Some of my favorites are the Alta Cucina and Solea, but the result is nothing like what I am after.

I typically train, hand crush or process in a food processor, and add some sea salt, then cook in a Roccbox. I'm currently using the same tomatoes UNA uses (gustarosso), but with little success. My result is typically too red compared to my favorites and not delicate enough.

I think some of it may be due to the amount/type of EVOO and Buffalo Mozz, but I bet there's more too it than that.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:53:51 PM by jmoore »

Online rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
Re: Margherita sauce still isn't cutting it
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
Have you tried the Strianese DOP San Marzano?  They are my favourite, and the sauce is noticeably less red in color than other tomatoes, and you can taste it as well.  I do not drain the tomatoes, I use the entire can.  The cans with basil are better than without, in my opinion, but I remove the basil before lightly blending and adding salt.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 06:16:00 AM »
Try making one without any cheese and use a mild oil like soybean oil. See if that is the issue.
Use the entire can don’t drain it and do remove the basil from the can.

Cento San Marzano DOP are a good readily available choice.

How much salt are you using ? I add 1 teaspoon per 28oz can. I use fine Sicilian sea salt .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:18:07 AM by ebpizza »

Offline sk

• Bella Pizze!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
35oz can of Cento Italian whole peeled tomatoes, the can that says Pelati on top as there are two very similar cans.  Strain out the water thru a food mill or kitchen strainer.  Add a little less than 1 tbsp sugar and about 1tsp sea salt.  Adjust sugar and salt to taste.  Dress the pizza with the sauce at room temp.  Simple, easy, tasty, not pricy.  Adapted from TXCraig's entire pizza making process in the sticky on Neapolitan style.

Online Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
35oz can of Cento Italian whole peeled tomatoes, the can that says Pelati on top as there are two very similar cans.  Strain out the water thru a food mill or kitchen strainer.  Add a little less than 1 tbsp sugar and about 1tsp sea salt.  Adjust sugar and salt to taste.  Dress the pizza with the sauce at room temp.  Simple, easy, tasty, not pricy.  Adapted from TXCraig's entire pizza making process in the sticky on Neapolitan style.

I also tried these from Cento upon Craig's recommendation and I thought they were superb. I did not have to drain them at all and thought the consistency was just perfect. Most of the DOP San Marzano's I've tried I needed to drain as they were very watery. I did not add sugar - only salt. Unfortunately I bought these while in Austin and haven't found them locally yet. I like Cento's "Certified" San Marzano's too, but I agree with Craig that the Italian 35 oz-ers are better. At least the can I had was.

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »
While we have somewhat limited availability to SAN Marzano tomatoes here, wherever I can, I buy a few cans to try. So far the same thing happens each time, open and sniff, smells tinned and I lose interest. We tried growing the tomatoes, hoping here might produce some great tomatoes, OK, a tad short of the shadow of Vesuvius or whatever but not a great sauce. You would think the proximity to Vancouver would offer some great examples. For now I love 7/11 crushed tomatoes, straight out of the can and on my pizza . . .I guess Neapolitan “style” but so far the best available here.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
Gustiamo had free shipping thanksgiving weekend. i picked up some cans of gustarosso tomatoes and Sicilian sea salt. they were noticeably better then my normal tomatoes. one can will give 7 to 8 pizzas. one thing that i have a hard time with is the addition of salt. i usually go too lite. I'm now adding a little more and the sauce does stand out better.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:36:12 AM by thezaman »

wordpress