A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Globe Hotel, Yongala South Australia  (Read 516 times)

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
The Globe Hotel, Yongala South Australia
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
There ain't much at Yongala. It's not far from Terowie, where General MacArthur was 'doorstepped" by reporters and said "I came out of Bataan and I shall return".
So Terowie is far more famous - there's a plaque on the old platform.
Yongala is on a railway line too, but the  next town up the line, Peterborough, was the major service town.

So Yongala withered somewhat.
However, the small population takes a lot of pride in keeping their homes and town tidy, there's free camping and RV parking, and in about 2015-ish, a couple of visionaries bought the derelict Globe Hotel and commenced renovations.

So now, there are plenty of reasons to stop instead of driving through.

Yesterday, Yongala held its first Christmas Pageant.
The wife was working until 2 pm, so we weren't able to get there in time for the pageant at 3, but we made it in time to see Santa at the pub, buy a few tickets in the Christmas stocking raffle, watch the band and have a couple of pizzas for dinner before the long drive back.
We arrived just after the pageant. The market stalls were packing up, and the pub was packed. Free range kids everywhere, all excited to see Santa and fascinated by the live band.
This is a proper country pub, your kids will come to no harm if you take your eyes off them for a few minutes. Same with your wallet, phone and change.

It's the best atmosphere around. The crowd is a mixture. You'll get the local farmers, people from all the surrounding towns, tourists blowing through, even a couple of New Zealanders last night. We drive 60 miles to get there, it's that good.

The publican is almost a one man band, it's just him most of the time, and a helper or two behind the bar when he needs them.
He does the cooking as well.
So when there's a special event on and he knows its going to be really busy, the kitchen is not full service.
He'll do something like pizzas only, or maybe a lamb or something on the spit. Or he will close the kitchen and get one of the local clubs like Lions or a footy club to cater a BBQ.

Last night was pizza.
There is no doubt Aussies where I live like lots of toppings on their pizzas, and Darryl at Yongala is a fine exponent of the art of what I call Fat Aussie Pub Pizza.

The wife had the seafood marinara.
I detected prawns, mussels, octopus, squid, maybe a hint of anchovy. Edit - the wife reckons no anchovy. No matter, wasn't room anyway. These things are loaded.

I had the vegetarian.
Red and green capsicum, slices of tomato, onion, black olives, mushroom, pineapple, can't remember what else.

Served in takeaway boxes - highly appropriate when you are eating in the beer garden under the grapevines.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:01:30 AM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: The Globe Hotel, Yongala South Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
This being a review of sorts, I suppose I should put a rating on the pizzas.
Viewed as examples of the genre, Fat Aussie Pub Pizza, I give 'em 10/10.

Darryl does pizzas every second Sunday. On those occasions, you'll get served in the normal time frames you'd expect.
During an event like yesterday's you put your order in, get another drink and wait your turn. The sweetheart behind the bar will remember your name and what you look like and bring your pizza out when its done.
An amazing mental feat, I thought.
In our case, we pre-ordered about 5:45 thinking we'd like to eat about 6:30, Darryl kicked the kitchen into action and we saw our pizzas about 6:40.
I thought that was pretty damned good considering the crowd and how many people ordered in front of us.
I did ask at about 6:30 when the pizzas would be ready. I worry the lady thought I was complaining, but I wasn't. I was calculating whether I should have another light beer or risk a glass of red wine.  ;D It's a long drive home, I have to track my alcohol consumption pretty carefully, but I really wanted a red wine with the pizza. :drool:

The beer garden and the crowd. These photos were taken quite a while after Santa and his Elf left, and many families with little kids had left.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:41:06 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
I like the name "Fat Aussie Pub Pizza" for a pizza style. It kind of looks similar to Buffalo style to me. Sounds like a fun time.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:52:29 AM »
I like the name "Fat Aussie Pub Pizza" for a pizza style. It kind of looks similar to Buffalo style to me. Sounds like a fun time.
I showed the pics to a few guys at work today. Everyone drools when they see 'em.
You have to keep an eye on Facebook so as to know when he's doing pizza.
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:20:16 AM »
Got a little more info on New Years Eve
Oven is electric 2 deck.
About 8 minutes per pizza.
Mick

A D V E R T I S E M E N T