A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: From Uuni Pro to PPB  (Read 1344 times)

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
From Uuni Pro to PPB
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
Hi everybody!

I just finnished my first bake with the Pizza Party Bollore [PPB] (70x70 on gas) after upgrading from my beloved Uuni Pro. And what should I say... The Uuni realy just was the gateway drug as user HalfSmoke said it in the ovens section. The PPB is just playing in another league. Over the last 1.5 years I made some decent pies with the Uuni (img 1), and the little guy is super easy to move from one place to another. Want to make pizza at a friends house? Just throw it in the car and pull it out ready to use wherever you want... super easy. On the other hand the whole fire managemement and the limited space just stressed me out. I was constantly running from my prep table to the oven to put on firewood just in the right moment before and/or after baking. Talking to guests was some level of multitasking I just could not handle. When I realized this, I started thinking about a real oven. At first I planned to get a neapolitan style oven from Italy. Luckily - after some weeks of daydreaming  - I came back to my senses and postponed the brick oven to some point in the future, and went with the PPB (from Italy  ;D ) with saputo bricks, and I am more than happy with it. The gas burner made it super easy to maintain the heat which was, compared to the Uuni, very evenly distributed in the oven. But the single most important thing for me was the additional space to handle the pies... it was just fun to slide the pies in in the oven, turn it or dome it. I felt a little bit like a pizzaiolo. Last but not least: I am pretty happy with the results (img 2,3), even more so, considering that it was the first time I used the oven.

Long story short: I am pretty happy with the new oven. Nonetheless Ihope the ones of you, that own a PP-Oven themselves can help me with two questions that came to my mind so far.

1. How do you regulate the gas burner (large flame, small flame). I mean between pies and when you have a pie in the oven.

2. What temperature on the oven thermometer do you aim at?

Thanks for your help and for the awesome content you all create in this forum! I will keep you posted on my progress.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
Re: From Uuni Pro to PPB
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
Congratulations on your new oven! I too have a Bollore and it was a game-changer for me as well.

To your questions, I put the gas burner on maximum until the temperature reaches somewhere between 800-850, which usually takes about 25 minutes. Then I start making my first pizza and when I return to launch it, the oven floor is usually between 850-900 F, which I found to be an ideal temperature range for Neapolitans. I get even browning underneath without any burning before the top is cooked. I have a Saputo floor and I usually don't have to dome it. Total bake time is usually about 45 seconds for me. I make pizzas one at a time and there usually is a 10 minute gap between eating the pizza and being ready to cook another one, so I turn the gas burner down to medium or low while I'm away from it. If I don't, the oven will get over 1000 F which I find is too hot and it also wastes a lot of fuel. It usually drops to about 600 degrees but only takes 5 minutes or so to get back up there, about the time it takes to make the next pizza.

I don't use the oven's built-in temperature gauge as it's not very accurate and in a bad spot away from where the actual pizza is baking. I strictly use a laser to measure the floor temperature in the spot I bake my pizzas.

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
Thank you @Gene in Acadiana. I will try your method next time. That will hopefully bring more consistency for my pies.

Today was the second time I tried to improve my neapolitan pizzas.
A little backstory here: I was in munich a couple of days ago and had some nice pies at soul kitchen. They use the red caputo for their pizzas. Most of the time I use the blue Caputo, but I had some left over of the red bag in my storage, so I prepared two different doughs for todays bake.
Same formula with both flours:

62% hydration
2,6% salt
0,045% fresh yeast

20h bulk (cellar/fridge)
24h balled (18: cellar/fridge ; 6 RT)

The batch with caputo red was easier to handle and the balls did not flat out as much as those made with the blue one. I think for my next bake I will go back to ~24h RT with the blue caputo.

So here are some of the pies. The second one was espacially tasty and the best looking, I think. Can you spot the one made with the red flour?

edit: added missing words
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:46:51 AM by blabladudelioe »

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
A short recap of yesterdays bake with the Pizza Party.

50/50:  Caputo blue / 405 Flour from a small local mill (Lehenmühle) in Germany
60% Hydration
0.04% Fresh Yeast
2.7% Salt

16h bulk at about 22°C, 10h balled. After bulk fermentation the dough was pretty airy, so I put the balls in the basement for the first 5 hours at 10 - 12 °C, after that back to RT until bake time.

The dough was great to work with and I now have reached some consistency with the PPB. I really need to be patient and give the oven - especialy the saputo - some time to be saturated with heat, and not to forget: Turn the gas burner to full power befor preparing the next dough.

Just made one neapolitan pie during the last bake. The other ones were made at coonsiderably lower temperatures and with longer bake times. I will include one of the pies as well, because I think the  egg-topping is super tasty. Be assured that the pizza is selfe made. I have some spare pizza boxes at home, so friends can pic up a pizza, if they want.

One completely other topic: I use the oven on my terrace. When not used the oven is protected with the cover from the Pizza Party shop. Right now its pretty cold in Germany about 0°C +/- 5°C.
Since I can not allways wait for the best weather, the oven allready got some rain, or even snow when it was hot. I think because of the temperature shock, the paint wore of a bit. The top of the chimney is completly blank metal now and the body starts to show some small spots where the paint is wearing of. Did anyone here have a similar experience? What did you do about it? I think the PP is made of aluminum, so corrosion should not be a concern, should it?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
Nice!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline nirc

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
One completely other topic: I use the oven on my terrace. When not used the oven is protected with the cover from the Pizza Party shop. Right now its pretty cold in Germany about 0°C +/- 5°C.
Since I can not allways wait for the best weather, the oven allready got some rain, or even snow when it was hot. I think because of the temperature shock, the paint wore of a bit. The top of the chimney is completly blank metal now and the body starts to show some small spots where the paint is wearing of. Did anyone here have a similar experience? What did you do about it? I think the PP is made of aluminum, so corrosion should not be a concern, should it?

Pls share some pics.

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
@TXCraig1: Thanks! Reading your posts helped me a lot with my pies.

@nirc: here are the pics. Have you got similar problems?

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
Came across Tony Gemignianis Pizza Bible and tried his "Napoletana" recipe - only had to change the crazy amount of yeast. I ended up with .22% fresh yeast - not considering the yeast in the Poolish.
It was the first time for me to use poolish and a 48h cold rise for NP pizza. All in all the pies tasted great. But I think it was still to much yeast. The dough was a little overproofed and especially the last pie was super sticky.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
I like the look of that pizza A LOT.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Thanks TXCraig1!

Just baked some more pies and tried using poolish again. The recipe goes like this:

Poolish:
Flour: 96 g
Water: 95 g
Fresh Yeast: 0.03 g

Dough:
Flour: 1344 g
Water: 800 ml
Salt: 30 g
Fresh Yeast 0.3g
Poolish: 191g

Percentages including poolish:
Water 62%
Salt: 2%
Fresh Yeast: 0.023%

I prepared the poolish one day in advance. Just mixed the ingredients and let it rest over night at RT (approx. 20°C). On the next morning it was ptetty gassy allready, so I put it in the fridge until it was time to prepare the dough in the afternoon.
Dough was straight forward: mix everything, some folding by hand, let it rest for 10-15 minutes, stretch and fold, cover and bulk ferment at RT.

Here it starts to get strange: on the next morning the dough had allready doubled its size, after about 12 hours. I was worried that it would overproof, so I put it in the basement (approx. 12°C) for another 6 hours. Just before balling, the dough almost escaped its bowl. It was pretty sticky and almost impossible to make balls with a tight sourface. I put the balls in the basement for another 2.5h and let it come to RT for 1h prior to baking.

After seeing it before balling, I prepared for the worst, but I think the basement time might have saved it. In the end the dough was pretty ok to open and dress.

The last time I had a dough rise that much, I used far more yeast... but no poolish.
Is this much rise normal, if you use poolish?

One general question about fresh yeast (no poolish this time): I started with the amounts from the Yeast Quantity Prediction Model, but reduced it several times. I think a 24 hour RT dough could work with about 0.02% yeast. It sure does with 0.04%.  The yeast is regular fresh yeast from a german supermarket. Has anyone here made the same experiences? I think it is strange that I can convert from IDY/ADY to fresh yeast in a 1:1 ratio.
Is the yeast in Germany just super powerfull?

edit: typos

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
Back to my standard receipt. This time with less yeast due to high temps.

50:50 Caputo Pizzeria : 405er Flour from Lehenmühle
60% Hydration
0.02% Fresh Yeast
2% Salt (less salt than usual, because I used a quiet salty pesto drizzle)

Went to Budapest a couple of weeks ago and had a nice pizza at a beach bar close to the danube (picture 1). They used ricotta salata and pesto drizzle as additional toppings. I tried to recreate the pie (picture 2). The tast was not really close... not as crisp ans my pesto recipe needs some fine tuning. Would be great if someone could share a pesto receipt, if you are happy with it.
I relly liked the ricotta salata, it brings some rustic (?) and salty flavours to the pie... I have actually no idea how to descibe the taste, I am not to much into fancy cheese. Tast was good though.

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
Very nice! How do you prep your cheese, specifically on reply #7 if you remember. Do you cut it or pinch? Would you happen to have any pics of the pre-baked pie?
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:34 AM »
Very nice! How do you prep your cheese, specifically on reply #7 if you remember. Do you cut it or pinch? Would you happen to have any pics of the pre-baked pie?

Thanks!

I think on reply #7 I pinched the mozarella directly from the ball, just before baking. Normally I am tearing the cheese in small bits beforehand. I will make a quick comparison on the next bake.

Offline blabladudelioe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
... No time to make a comparison, but here is a before and after pic for pinched mozarella. The pics show different pies, but both are pinched from a whole mozarella ball.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:38:23 PM by blabladudelioe »

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
... No time to make a comparison, but here is a before and after pic for pinched mozarella. The pics show different pies, but both are pinched from a whole mozarella ball.

Thank you. The outer parts of the melted cheese that gets kind of milky is what i'm interested in. I'm wondering if it has to do solely with the moisture of the cheese or if the rough edges of pinched cheese attribute to it also, compared to smooth edges cut with a knife.
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

wordpress