A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Top 3 Pizza books  (Read 3632 times)

Offline mjp

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Top 3 Pizza books
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »
Vetriís use of sourdough is radically different than what I do.  He uses a LOT of starter (above 40%). 

The other formulations that mention ďstarterĒ (but not sourdough) use ADY or fresh yeast at above 50%. 

However you look at it, his ideas of fermentation are different than what Iíve ever done.  Iíd be curious to see what results someone gets.

This is a really interesting observation because he does the complete opposite for non-starter leavening. After having a lot of success with Peter Reinhart's dough recipe I decided to experiment using Vetri's Naples dough in Mastering Pizza. The recipe calls for 0.1 gram (1/32 tsp) of ADY for a single 270 gram dough ball. The end result was unsurprisingly dense with little rise. I am truly puzzled by the yeast ratios in this book.

That said, it is a pretty great book with lots of know-how. I'm just not entirely sure his recipes were fully vetted before printing.

Offline Velojerry

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Top 3 Pizza books
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
I got the Vetri book for Christmas.  Iím working through it.  Itís been a good read so far.  Thereís plenty of technical detail, which I havenít tried to dissect too much for its accuracy, but you can tell that heís actually made pizza before.

Although all the veterans of this board have developed their own unique approaches based on their tastes and experience, I still think that the basic Lehmann formulation is the best springboard to begin oneís journey.  I bet that if you were to calculate the arithmetic mean of all the pizza formulations that have been tried, youíd probably wind up with the Lehmann formulation.  I ferment the dough differently (RT with either ADY or SD), I use a little more salt, and I mix by hand or food processor, but thatís just my application of it.

Someone once said that if Charlie Parker were to rise from the dead, he could sue every jazz musician of the last 60 years for plagiarism and win.   Thatís true of the Lehmann formulation as well IMO.

Thanks for the book recommendations, this will help expamd my experience. I was mostly inspired, however, by "Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day: The Homemade Bread Revolution Continues"by Jeff Hertzberg M.D., ZoŽ FranÁois, et al. | Oct 25, 2011

Probably not a contender for for the more serious pie makers, it is a fun romp through pizza immersion with lots of side-trips through related species of oven baked flat "breads". It helped me look at making pizza as a lot of fun, and not so competitive. I can't vouch for the total accuracy, my copy is an advanced reader copy and likely had revisions in the first printing, an authoritative text would be a nice addition.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T