A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I Like Canned Mushrooms on My Pies  (Read 637 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
I Like Canned Mushrooms on My Pies
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
Just say’n.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: I Like Canned Mushrooms on My Pies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:08:11 PM »
One place we like (Dimggio’s) it’s all they use so we like them on that pizza. Earlier in our marrige we always had a couple jars on hand. We probably have not bought one in 20 years but there is rarely a time we do not have any fresh musrooms in the fridge.

My parents business nearly went under in the early 70s over a mushroom scare from another company. Every can was tested before being opened - every time. They had not one bad canned mushroom in the plant but voluntarily destroyed 10,000 cases of frozen pizzas that had canned mushrooms on them just to be able to make the announcement the brand was ok. Along with that, several remaining pallets of unused canned mushrooms were destroyed. That was the last time a camned mushroom was ever seen in the plant. It was scary. I was 11 or 12.
-Tony

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
I like any and all mushrooms, canned or fresh, but hard to beat fresh maitake or morels!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
I like any and all mushrooms, canned or fresh, but hard to beat fresh maitake or morels!!!
How about dried? I am getting better at using them.
-Tony

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
How about dried? I am getting better at using them.

Even f4esh wild ones improve with dry and rehydrating imo, like 2+2=6!! But I always rehydrate before using, if added dried to anything hot, even soup, they stay too tough. And dried in mixed stuff like sausage and dressing, doughs and through off your hydration tons. Add drying 5hemvat their peak is WAY better than keep fresh tooo long! Drying is also way better than freezing to preserve best texture. Haven't tried canning them though???
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
On pizzas and on steaks we like to sort of fry / dry our mushrooms.   In a pan with absolutely minimum of butter or oil we slice pretty thin and gently heat them of a half hour or so.  They shink in size a bit and shrivel a bit but the and at the end crank up the heat to brown them a bit ... sort of like searing.  The flavors get concentrated and it makes a very different eating experience to the typical slimy gooey mess the way most mushrooms are served.
Brent

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
On pizzas and on steaks we like to sort of fry / dry our mushrooms.   In a pan with absolutely minimum of butter or oil we slice pretty thin and gently heat them of a half hour or so.  They shink in size a bit and shrivel a bit but the and at the end crank up the heat to brown them a bit ... sort of like searing.  The flavors get concentrated and it makes a very different eating experience to the typical slimy gooey mess the way most mushrooms are served.

We buy Cremini mushrooms buy the box but we don't have them around as often as I make our pies. I think I would have to fry them in a little in butter before I used them on our pies.

I just like how canned mushrooms taste and I like their texture. Yes they need to be well drained however I don't squeeze them down in the can like my mother used to do. I dump them into a strainer an hour or so before I make the pies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:16:04 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating