A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Papa Del's Stuffed Dough and Sauce  (Read 896 times)

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
Papa Del's Stuffed Dough and Sauce
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
I know all of the Papa Del's recipes are quite old in here.  Do we have any updated information on the dough and sauce formulations?  I have tried the older versions and just feel like maybe there is a more up-to-date version to try that is more authentic. Anyone?

I can't quite get the sauce right either.  Most just say- season to taste.  Does anyone have a good replica sauce that matches Papa's with actual ingredient quantities?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Papa Del's Stuffed Dough and Sauce
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
Can you please post your recipes/trials-and-errors up to this point?  The more details, the better! 

There are tons of Papa Del's fans who pop in and sort of throw up their hands, and having some basis to work from might finally crack this nut!

The best intel to date about Papa Del's seems to be here:
o Sauce and dough recipe from thefranklincrew: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1740.msg22536#msg22536
o Peter's tips on dough: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg56241#msg56241
o Interesting discussion: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=318.0
o Randy's recipe: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1031.0

[BTW, a recipe that is "old" isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it has been tested and perfected (e.g., my Pizza Factory clone is virtually unchanged since 2001).]

Cheers!
Garvey
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:53:21 AM by Garvey »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
I vaguely recalled that a Papa Del's recipe was posted somewhere on the forum. I did a bit of searching and found this:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:38:09 AM »
[I've never had this pizza, but I'm really hoping this thread doesn't end up with all the other Papa Del's threads in the graveyard...]

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
I will be experimenting this weekend.  I think the sauces listed have too many ingredients to make it taste quite right.  Here is what I am thinking is in the sauce:

Tomatoes
Salt
Olive Oil
Pepper
Garlic
Romano cheese
Oregano

I think the top is then sprinkled with oregano, basil and thyme.

I will post results here after some experimenting!

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »
For the crust, I am going to try:

3 1/2 C. flour
    2 T. olive oil
    1 t. salt
    1 pkg. yeast
    2 t. sugar
    1 1/3 C. warm water

I am questioning the sugar amount.  Do you think it is too much?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:29:57 PM by swiisdogs »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track.  Be sure to write down measurements of every ingredient, esp for the sauce.  This is key for future improvements.

Also, do you have a kitchen scale?  If not, grab one at Target or such ($10-15, iirc).  It's absolutely the best investment you can make to help step up your pizza game.  Weigh your dough ingredients as you go, in grams, and record them.  Flour volume can vary greatly, so that's why weights are important.  Anyone can replicate 100g of flour, but my 3 1/2 cups vs your 3 1/2 could be waaay off.

Cheers! Can't wait to see the results of your pie!
Garvey

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
Just now have time to post an update.  I did try sauce this weekend.  I tried Muir Glen tomatoes and they just weren't sweet enough to match Papa's.  I am making some more this evening using San Marzano to see if I can get more sweetness out of them.  The seasoning is much closer than anything I have found previously.  I will send all measurements once I feel like I have it at least closer. 

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
Well, I still don't feel like I have it quite as sweet as Papa Del's, but this is definitely closer than others and is a super tasty sauce!  I am thinking of just going with this in the future because it was delicious.  I haven't tried it on pizza yet, but I think I could have sat and continued eating from the sauce pan!  My husband really liked it too.
Here is what I went with:

14.5 oz can whole peeled San Marzano (Simpson imports- the white can that just says San Marzano on the picture of the tomato)
14.5 oz can crushed San Marzano (Simpson Imports)
4 t olive oil
3 t Romano cheese (I am considering trying 1/2-1 t more next time), grated
1.5 t black pepper
2.5 t oregano
1 t garlic powder
1 t salt
3 t sugar

Put tomatoes in food processor on high for about 20 seconds- until smooth.  Add all other ingredients- food processor for 5-10 seconds to mix well.  Put in small sauce pan covered on low for 30 min.  Stirred a few times. 

Going to try on pizza tomorrow!  If anyone tries it, please let me know!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:55:58 PM by swiisdogs »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
For those who have had Papa Del's, how sweet is the sauce compared to some of the Southside sweet sauces like Aurelio's, etc.?

According to one buddy of mine, he claimed that Aurelio's used almost 3/4 c. sugar per #10 can!  Not sure if that's true, since I've never made a clone recipe with that much sugar.  Doing some math, that would be the equivalent of just under 3 Tbs of sugar for the 29 oz you're using in your Papa Del's. 

I assume you have enough sauce for two pizzas, swiisdogs?  If so, can you keep half as-is and amp up the sugar on the other half and compare the two versions?  I did a lot of A-B testing to nail down my own sauce recipe.  It's the only way to get closer and closer.

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
Since I am at one tablespoon (3 tsp) now, I could easily see at least double to get closer to the sweetness of Papa Del's, which is really sweet.  I will try again soon with more sugar added and let you know. 

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:56 PM »
I've tried to get a sweeter aurelios like sauce using more sugar,  i found it gets to the point that it starts to taste weird and not the sweet tang i was looking for.  i have found adding a can of tomato paste instead of more sugar kind of hit it.   maybe give it a shot.....
Contadina Tomato Paste - 6 oz can is my fav.....
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 10:03:33 PM »
Great suggestion- thanks!

I've also wondered about brown sugar versus white sugar

Offline Garvey

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »
Yeah, I use Contadina in my Pizza Factory sauce and add only a little sugar.

Does Papa Del's use paste as part of  or the base of the sauce?

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
For their complete pizza, they list the following ingredients:
Flour, Water, Mozz cheese, Tomatoes (crushed and whole), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Olive Oil, Pepper, Garlic, Inported Romano, Oregano

For their sauce alone, they list the following ingredients:
Crushed Tomatoes, Whole Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Imported Romano, Salt and Spices

That is why I limited the ingredients in my own sauce to crushed and whole tomatoes, olive oil, romano, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic.

However mine just wasn't as sweet as theirs.  I know the tomatoes may make all the difference as far as the sweetness, so I tried just adding sugar to compensate.  I have no clue what kind of tomatoes are used in the Papa sauce. 

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
I am ordering Stanislaus tomatoes to try and see what difference that makes.  It may be a couple of weeks before delivery and me having time to make more.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 12:41:05 AM »
i think stanislaus is a good idea!   ive used their full red, very sweet!  also liked their 74.40 filets!    i also think pastene brand is sweet too!  i use pastene exclusively now!!  i like a sweet sauce!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline swiisdogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the comment, MrMojo, because I was looking at Pastene as well.  I will try the Stanislaus and if I'm still not happy, try the Pastene next. I will keep you updated! It will probably be next (not this) weekend before more experimenting.

I also need to figure out how to actually get my name changed to swissdogs and not swiisdogs. almost 4 years of misspelling...lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:25:46 PM by swiisdogs »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »
cool!  i went to school at u of illinois 90-94.  i friggin loved papa dels!!  it was such a splurge.  sometimes at like 5pm they'd sell left over slices from lunch for like 2 bucks!  man!  all wrapped in foil!  warm!  delicious!  i loved their sausage too!   i even shipped it out here to Idaho once!!  can't wait to hear if you nail the sauce!!!  i like your name!  it'll never be duplicated!   there's a lot of swissdogs!  but only one swiisdog!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
also need to figure out how to actually get my name changed to swissdogs and not swiisdogs. almost 4 years of misspelling...lol

If you want to change your forum name, send a PM to Steve, the owner and administrator of the forum.

Peter