A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Roman al taglio style - first attempt  (Read 171 times)

Offline byamit

Roman al taglio style - first attempt
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
After making a bunch of Neapolitan and NY style pizza for the past several years, I decided to take a stab at the style of pizza I tried in Rome where it's priced by the gram and cut by scissors.

For this attempt, I went with KABF, 80% hydration, 0.5% IDY, and 2.5% salt. I picked up a Blue steel pan (13" x 11") and with a TF of 0.11 that meant roughly a 445g dough ball. I did a bulk cold rise for 12 hours, balled and cold rised again for another 24 hours, and reballed and cold rised again for 12 hours. I let the dough come to room temperature and then baked in the blue steel in my Blackstone for 8ish minutes at about 550F.

The end result was really awesome but I learned a lot along the way.

1) The blue steel is actually 13.8" by 11" so I needed a little more dough
2) The pan doesn't really fit in the Blackstone, so I'm going to have to do the next attempt in the home oven. I also don't think I got the rise I expected because the Blackstone isn't optimal for a rectangular shape.
3) I don't think the multiple reballs is necessary so I'll try to forgo next time

But it was a delicious pizza nonetheless and I'm looking forward to more attempts.

P.s. the pizza is half brussels sprouts+garlic and half BBQ chik'n and red onions

Online Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Roman al taglio style - first attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:58:49 PM »
 Very nice looking pizza. I love this style. I haven't had good luck with it in the BS. I put a steel in the middle and super heat the space below it and put the pan as low as possible, it's in the 550-600 range.

I usually do 2cm sq per gram plus or minus 10%.

Good luck.

Offline byamit

Re: Roman al taglio style - first attempt
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:35 PM »
Yup that ratio is pretty close to what I should have done. The pan is 979cm2.

I like that idea for the home oven and steel. I'll try that out next time.

Thanks!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress