A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grated parm or shaved parm?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Grated parm or shaved parm?
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:04 AM »
Which do you prefer and why? I've tried both but always end up using grated, it's just much more convenient.
The places or people I know that stick with shaved Parmesan is Di Fara, and maybe New heaven style/some coal fired restaurants?

My only positive of shaved Parmesan is the coolness factor. It just makes me wonder why they chosed shaved.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Grated parm or shaved parm?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
I really like parmesan grated on a micro plane. It comes out light and pillowy. Its probably somewhere between a true grate and shredded but closer to grated. It's kind of like one of those rotary graters used tableside in a restaurant.

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
My 2 cents,   I love the shaved parm over the grated but that's me.   A good shave Parmesean cheese can add a lot of good flavor where as the  grated will add flaor but to me not as rich

Again, I live where there are no real pizza shops so if I have to get a pizza I have to add flavor and the shaved does that ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:28:44 AM by TMB »
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
Grated on my pie, shaved on my salad - but if I wanted to make a fancy pie, maybe use some shaved along with some Prosciutto but I would do it post bake...
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
My 2 cents,   I love the shaved parm over the grated but that's me.   A good shave Parmesean cheese can add a lot of good flavor where as the  grated will add flaor but to me not as rich

Again, I live where there are no real pizza shops so if I have to get a pizza I have to add flavor and the shaved does that ;)
Interesting take on that.
I find grated parm gets stale very quickly, so I only grate as needed or mins beforehand.I find myself grating 1/3 of the wedge.
 Too me shaved parm is tricky, you have to add like two layers and it clumps u sometimes.. I'll have to try both side by side before giving an opinion.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
Interesting take on that.
I find grated parm gets stale very quickly, so I only grate as needed or mins beforehand.I find myself grating 1/3 of the wedge.
 Too me shaved parm is tricky, you have to add like two layers and it clumps u sometimes.. I'll have to try both side by side before giving an opinion.
When I add the shaved parm, I add it at the end of the cook if making the pizza myself.  I make a lot of crustless or low carb pizzas and it works great for those type pizzas. 

Now, if I go out and bring a pie home I use shaved and lightly cover the pie with it adds just enough flavor to make store bought pies taste better

I never had a clump issue
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
Grated on my pie, shaved on my salad - but if I wanted to make a fancy pie, maybe use some shaved along with some Prosciutto but I would do it post bake...
My preferences exactlly. Might add greens to post bake before shaved parm. There is no right or wrong, only preferences and what tools each of us has available, imho. I would much rather have a great piece of parm and a dull or plastic knife as my only tool than great tools and lower quality parm.
-Tony

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »
For an 18" pie, I'll add around a tbsp. of freshly grated parmigiano either to the sauce or on top of the mozzarella before the pizza is baked.

Rolls
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:29:31 AM by Rolls »
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:16 PM »
My answer is YES!!! As long as it's not that shtt in the green can that's half sawdust.......
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

wordpress