A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Full Red with Basil (Unprepared)  (Read 442 times)

Offline Matthew

Full Red with Basil (Unprepared)
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Looking for some feedback on Full Red with Basil Pizza Sauce (Unprepared).  I was planning on blending it with 7/11.

I tried Full Red Prepared pizza sauce a while ago & thought that it was terrible. 

Truth be told I have never used anything other than Italian tomatoes but I thought that I would try something different for my NY & Sicilian pizza.

Matt

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
Re: Full Red with Basil (Unprepared)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
Full Red (w/o basil) mixed with strained 7/11 is my go to base for my NY -  took some out of my freezer not 10 min ago ;-)
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:55:24 AM »
The 7/11 Ground Tomatoes is my "go to" base for most of my sauces, just add a little fresh basil and garlic to the sauce after applying it to the skin, then the cheese and dress to the order. For my upscale pizzas I like to use the 74/40 Tomato Filets (drained for 20-minutes), lightly oil the skin with EVOO, add fresh basil and garlic and apply the tomato filets instead of a spreading sauce. Flavor and texture are great, second only to fresh, vine ripened tomato slices.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
Full Red (w/o basil) mixed with strained 7/11 is my go to base for my NY -  took some out of my freezer not 10 min ago ;-)

Thx Norm,
I have never used 7/11 either.  Is is necessary to strain the 7/11?

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »
No not necessary 7/11 is great straight from the can, but if you taste strained and unstrained one after the other the strained is better (but, individual taste bud milage varies) - easy to test for yourself - straining is a pain so I would not do it for zero ROI.
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:19:39 AM »
The 7/11 Ground Tomatoes is my "go to" base for most of my sauces, just add a little fresh basil and garlic to the sauce after applying it to the skin, then the cheese and dress to the order. For my upscale pizzas I like to use the 74/40 Tomato Filets (drained for 20-minutes), lightly oil the skin with EVOO, add fresh basil and garlic and apply the tomato filets instead of a spreading sauce. Flavor and texture are great, second only to fresh, vine ripened tomato slices.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom; appreciate the input.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
My initial observation is that there is a very pronounced tinny flavour, something that I have never experienced on imported italian tomatoes.  I made a cooked sauce for my sicilian pizza with half & even after cooking I could still taste it.