A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 100% hydro teglia-ish  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
100% hydro teglia-ish
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:12 PM »
I'm mostly off teglia right now. Really working the thin and crispy tonda style. However the ideas in food blog had a 100% hydro dough that inspired me.

I did 1 bianca and 1 with WM mozzarella,  red onion, pistachio-Calabrian chili pesto, finished with arugula.

It's not quite teglia since it's proofed in the pan. But I finger docked it before topping. Thus the style is teglia-ish.

The results were out of this world. The bianca stuck  due to poorly seasoned 1/8 size sheet pans for the bake.

Formula
100% 00 central milling reinforced
100% water
0.6% ady
2.5% salt
3% oil

Hand mixed with strech and fold every 20-30 minutes for 3 hours.
I scaled it at 250g for an 1/8 sheet pan (oiled lightly) and cold ferment 18 hours. I stretched it to better fit the pan after it chilled and when I brought it out to room temp.

Proofed at room temperature for 4 hours. Dimpled with fingertips, topped and baked. 5 minutes on a steel at 500 and 5 minutes on the bottom rack under the steel.

I'm going to up the size to 1/4 pan or blue steel 30x40cm. I'm also much more confident now with the high hydro and am stoked to make it again. Going to go back to the t110 or t85 blends, I find the flavor more appealing.

Offline PizzaManic

Re: 100% hydro teglia-ish
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:13:47 AM »
Wow! 100% Hydration - interesting.

I'm curious to know how to stretch & fold a 100% Hydration Dough - I remember the highest I ever went was 75% and the dough was gloppy - almost impossible to handle.
Regards Mo

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »
Wow! 100% Hydration - interesting.

I'm curious to know how to stretch & fold a 100% Hydration Dough - I remember the highest I ever went was 75% and the dough was gloppy - almost impossible to handle.

100% hydration dough shouldn't be gloopy. From your description, it sounds like your dough was under-mixed and/or you didn't allow the flour to fully hydrate before trying to handle it.

Lots of good information on 100% hydration dough here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23668.0

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
That looks like love, Andrew!
-Tony

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:03:11 AM »
 100% is soft and more challenging to work. Letting it fully hydrate is key and  I've found wet hands the best tool with lots of time to rest in between.

I'll be working on some more this week and will post my progress.

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:31:09 AM »

The results were out of this world.

:o   You can say that again!
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 12:04:42 AM »
Just mixed a batch of al taglio dough with some central milling high mountain. I didn’t go quit as high as you did with the water. I have a bag of the 00 reinforced I was planning to save for some Neapolitan dough. How do you like this flour? It’s unmalted correct?

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
Just mixed a batch of al taglio dough with some central milling high mountain. I didn’t go quit as high as you did with the water. I have a bag of the 00 reinforced I was planning to save for some Neapolitan dough. How do you like this flour? It’s unmalted correct?

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
100% hydration dough shouldn't be gloopy. From your description, it sounds like your dough was under-mixed and/or you didn't allow the flour to fully hydrate before trying to handle it.

Lots of good information on 100% hydration dough here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23668.0

Megan45,
Thanks for the link! Very interesting info there :)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
Pizapizza...I've found the 00 reinforced performs well. I can add malt if I'm baking at lower temps. I'm experimenting with unmalted more right now.

I've been finding using unmalted the fermention with central milling products doesn't suffer and the small increase in bake time is working for me.

Good luck. I'm going to be doing a high extraction blends with this formula this week. Will post results.

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »
Made this again. Central milling 00 reinforced  (60%), t110 (30%), durham  (10%), 100% water, .4% ady, 3% oil, 2.5% salt. Mixed by hand with 4 strech and fold over 3 hours. Scaled at 250g for 1/8 pan and 500g for 1/4 pan. CF 48 hrs RT 3 hrs. Baked 500 is for almost 20 minutes.

I didn't proof on the pan and then dimple but turned out balls onto a floured board and stretched into the pan. Proof in the pan is better at 100%.

Used the blend flour inspired by antilifes thread. So tasty!

I'll be going back to a lower % or proof in the pan. It was a great learning lesson and it boosted my understanding and confidence with high hydro dough. Also will cut back the weight 10% to 450 for 1/4 pan, that's my standard and 500 is a touch too much.

I might try a Detroit style this was just for fun.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:10 AM »
We want to see a slice with the crumb ^^ !
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
We want to see a slice with the crumb ^^ !
Delivered.  :-D
-Tony