A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 786 Degrees  (Read 626 times)

Offline CaptBob

786 Degrees
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
I have read some articles about Ali Haider and his restaurant...786 Degrees....so was curious as I always am about the hype when you read about USA pizza team members. I wasn't disappointed and was glad I took the drive to give it a try ( I'm in southern cal for a couple of days). I had the Tuscan shrimp pizza. Seeing some other pies come out of the oven i thought the crust would be crispy but it was very soft. Bake time seemed to be about two minutes....maybe a bit less. Their website says they CF the dough for 72 hours and the pizzaiolos seemed to take a lot of pride in the assembly and baking of the pies. But I was quite surprised at how small and modest the restaurant itself was. Three tables for maybe15 to 18 people. Glad I tried it and would certainly go back......
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:32:31 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Online jsaras

Re: 786 Degrees
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:20:21 AM »
I have read some articles about Ali Haider and his restaurant...786 Degrees....so was curious as I always am about the hype when you read about USA pizza team members. I wasn't disappointed and was glad I took the drive to give it a try ( I'm in southern cal for a couple of days). I had the Tuscan shrimp pizza. Seeing some other pies come out of the oven i thought the crust would be crispy but it was very soft. Bake time seemed to be about two minutes....maybe a bit less. Their website says they CF the dough for 72 hours and the pizzaiolos seemed to take a lot of pride in the assembly and baking of the pies. But I was quite surprised at how small and modest the restaurant itself was. Three tables for maybe15 to 18 people. Glad I tried it and would certainly go back......

That really does look good.  Iíve never had Type 1 flour.  I guess that puts then outside the sphere of Neapolitan pizza, not that Iím dogmatic on that point.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:32:20 AM »
Looks like they are using a combo of Cap Americana & Tipo Uno. Itís a great combination, actually, but expensive.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
That pizza looks amazing. Keste in NYC uses straight Tipo 1. tippo1 is not overly expensive. i would have a hard time paying for the Caputo American. if they are trying to spec American flour why bother.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:31:48 AM by thezaman »

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
Larry....although I didn't time the bake it seemed to be about 1 1\2 to 2 minutes.
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
That pizza looks amazing. Keste in NYC uses straight Tipo 1. tippo1 is not overly expensive. i would have a hard time paying for the Caputo American. if they are trying to spec American flour why bother.

Larry,

I'm not sure how much the Tipo 1 is, I got mine as free sample, but the Americana was a little over $45 for a 50lb sack. You can get that combo much cheaper, from Central Milling, for example. The Red Rose Artisan and Type110 would be a good choice from them.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
Larry,

I'm not sure how much the Tipo 1 is, I got mine as free sample, but the Americana was a little over $45 for a 50lb sack. You can get that combo much cheaper, from Central Milling, for example. The Red Rose Artisan and Type110 would be a good choice from them.

mike, does the flour that is the equivalent of the tipo1 have that bran specks in it? 

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

mike, does the flour that is the equivalent of the tipo1 have that bran specks in it?

Yes. Itís identical.

https://centralmilling.com/product/organic-type-110/
Mike

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 07:04:44 AM »
Has anyone seen/tried this:

Hans

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »
Ali and his staff are some of the nicest and most genuine people in the business. They put out some great pizza in that tiny little space.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 11:26:46 PM »
Ali and his staff are some of the nicest and most genuine people in the business. They put out some great pizza in that tiny little space.
I really like hearing that kind of thing, especially from a peer, for lack of a better word. Thank you.
-Tony

wordpress