A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baking Dough Straight out of Refrigerator  (Read 464 times)

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
Baking Dough Straight out of Refrigerator
« on: May 11, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
I plan on making the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza as discussed here--the recipe by "xPHmgr" calling for 22.5 oz of flour (https://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php). I plan to scale it down to a 10-inch pan and did the Baker's Percentage calculations, so I'm set to go as far as scaling ingredients are concerned. But one thing in the directions has me a little puzzled.

After the dough has been in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours, the directions say: "WHEN READY TO MAKE: Preheat oven to 500 F for about 30-45 minutes. Remove dough from the refrigerator and add sauce, cheese, and toppings.  Bake at 500 F on a pizza stone for 14 minutes."

Reading that literally, it says to take the dough out of the refrigerator and put it straight on the baking stone. Almost everything I have read here about using refrigerated dough calls for the dough to return to room temperature before baking.  Is that a given in this situation?  Or is the dough in the pan really just popped into the oven straight from the refrigerator?

Thanks!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Baking Dough Straight out of Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
For me it is a case by case basis. Sometimes the dough is older and well fermented in the fridge so that if I let it come to room temperature it will easily tear. If I shape, dress and bake cold it will be perfect. Trial and error. (probably get a lot of disagreement on this subject)

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
OK, actually, I'm a big fan of trial and error. But since I am not planning to let the dough sit in the fridge for days, I might opt for the RT approach and see what happens (trial). Thanks for the reply!

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
It's been my experience that cold dough = big bubbles.
--pat--

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
A nice trick is to take your doughball out of the fridge, drop it on a stone or metal surface (granite countertop, marble, etc.. even a pizza steel) and slightly flatten it.   If you let it sit for 5 minutes then flip it over for 5 minutes it will have warmed up significantly.   

In a commercial setting I have to use room temperature dough because I will loose my oven floor heat on a busy night with cold dough.   It also makes a better pizza at room temp (in my opinion).

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress