A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Domino's old deep dish  (Read 763 times)

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• Everybody knows the rules.
Domino's old deep dish
« on: January 29, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
I don't know how many people remember this pizza, but it was one of the best chain pizzas you could buy. Domino's introduced the deep dish variety in 1989. Unfortunately, they replaced it with "handmade pan" in 2012. Although the deep dish was a pan pizza too, it was always just called "deep dish." It was a tremendous downgrade when they moved on to the new handmade pan, as the two are nothing alike.

The old deep dish was special because of the unique crust. It was thick - about 1 inch. It had a deliciously tender crumb yet with a nice crispy edge from the pan. They baked it with plenty of herbed oil (some type of regular Italian seasoning) which made it even tastier, and resulted in a dark brown crust. The crust seemed to pair excellently with the oily cheese they used, too. It was a really good pie and to this day, even after having countless different pizzas, I've still not had anything quite like it.

Does anyone else remember this? I also wondered if anyone here has ever tried recreating it, though my searches have turned up nil. I did see a guy on YouTube tried to recreate it but it didn't look right to me. I grew up eating this and I would love to be able to make it, but I don't even know where to start since it has long been discontinued.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:47:09 PM by IEatPizzaByThePie »
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size."

Offline ChicagoDwyer

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Domino's old deep dish
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 07:40:51 PM »
I do remember. But as a Chicagoan I canít get on board.

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• Everybody knows the rules.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
I do remember. But as a Chicagoan I canít get on board.

*bows*

WE'RE NOT WORTHY, WE'RE NOT WORTHY
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size."

Offline Rat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »
Hey, sorry to necro post but I ran across this thread from a google search and I made an account here just to post this reply.

I have been trying for years to perfect a recreation of this pizza recipe.  Your tip about the guy on youtube (although I agree his result didn't look entirely right) did provide a couple more ideas for me to try.  I'm assuming this is the guy you were talking about:

But if that's not the video you meant then I'd really like to see the one you mentioned.

I made a post on reddit asking for help with the spices on the bottom of the pizza, you can find that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dominos/comments/8obugx/recreating_dominos_deep_dish/
The current recipe I'm working with is in the comments, but I'll just go ahead and post it below as well, but keep in mind I'm still experimenting.

Sauce:

1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes

2 1/2 cups canned tomato puree

4 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon ground oregano

1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Puree the crushed tomatoes in a blender until smooth.

combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.

when mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and cool, then chill in a covered container until pizza dough is ready.

Notes on Sauce:

This is the recipe I found when searching out how to recreate the dominos sauce, but I usually skip the part about pureeing crushed tomatoes, and just use a whole can of puree. I also season to taste instead of following the seasoning instructions exactly, sometimes I use uncalled for spices, and sometimes skip called for ones. Lastly I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

Dough:

3 1/4 cups bread flour, unbleached

1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm

2 3/4 teaspoons instant yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

4 tablespoons butter, melted

2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon italian spice blend

Melt the butter.

Dissolve yeast and sugar into 1/4 cup lukewarm water

Add 1/4 cup flour, and blend well. Cover and allow to sit for 20 minutes in a warm area.

Combine yeast mixture with the remaining all remaining ingredients.

Sprinkle a work surface with flour, and turn dough out onto surface.

Knead for about 10 minutes until shiny and pliable.

Coat a large bowl with a thin layer layer of of olive oil. Place dough in bowl, cover, and let rise at room temperature for an hour or two until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.

Lightly grease a deep-dish pizza pan.

Press the dough into the pan, allowing about an inch and a half to go up the sides.

Add the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating once.

Notes on dough:

The pan must be perforated, after studying images of the pans Dominos used to use I found a pan that looks pretty similar, but the holes are two big and dough ends up leaking through when it's baked. To fix this I line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper that fits the perimeter of the pan. Also this recipe makes allot more dough than is needed and the crust ends up being very thick, if your pan is large enough you might not have this problem, but I've been thinking about reducing the amount of dough by about a third for a 10 or 12 inch pan. Also I mentioned that the bottom of the crust ends up being too moist, for my next try I'm not going to grease the bottom of the pan, or the bowl where the dough rises, there's enough butter and oil in the dough itself that it may be just fine.

My substitute for the zesty sauce is spread garlic granules and onion granules into the pan with a little bit of salt before putting the dough into it. Garlic powder and onion powder will not work as well because they are a smaller size than granules and seem to burn instead of caramelize.

Place the oven rack as high as it will go in the oven, this will make the cheese and crust cook faster than the bottom of the pizza.

Lastly use an even blend of mozzarella, monterey jack, and white cheddar. If you use just mozzarella out of a bag you will see patches of caramelization instead of the even distributed caramelization that is customary with professional pizzas. Alternatively you can get a whole piece of mozzarella and shred it yourself, this will have the same effect, but having tried both methods I prefer the blend of cheeses.

Garlic butter:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon dried parsley (crushed)

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

Melt the butter.

Use a mortar and pestle (or your fingertips and a small bowl) to crush the dried parsley into smaller bits.

Add ingredients to melted butter.

Apply to crust of the pizza after it has finished cooking using a brush.

Notes on Garlic butter:

This is to imitate the garlic butter that Dominos introduced at around the same time that they started phasing out the deep dish pizza. There was a period of a few months or a year where you could order a deep dish pizza and request that they add the garlic butter to the crust of a deep dish pizza even though they normally only do it for the hand tossed pizzas. I really enjoyed that combo, so I found a way to replicate it.

Only thing to make sure you do with this recipe is don't take the cheese out of the fridge until you're ready to add everything together. I have sometimes measured out all the ingredients and set them aside until the butter finished melting, if you do this with the cheese it tends to clump together into a congealed mess and not apply to the pizza as well as when it had just come out of the fridge.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:33:42 PM by Rat »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T