A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Store Bought Sausage  (Read 799 times)

Offline v8power

• I Love Pizza!
Store Bought Sausage
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
Im looking for an Italian sausage O I can buy already made.  I searched the forum, but found mostly recipes and not many already made to buy.  I did find Hormel crumble in the forum, but I checked around here and doesnt sound like stores in central Alabama have it.

I tried Johnsonville Italian, I tried a locally made Italian sweet and locally made Italian mild from Fresh Market, but none of them tastes like pizza sausage.

Maybe Im looking for the wrong type of sausage to use.  My wife and I are originally from the Midwest around the Chicago land area.  I thought it was Italian sausage used on pizza, but maybe its another type of sausage.

So I thought Is ask the experts!  Is there an already made sausage, raw or cooked, I can get from a store to use that would be close to the sausage used on pizza?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Store Bought Sausage
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:14 PM »
I assume you want to amp it up a bit. Get whichever brand you like and add some extra pizza seasoning, extra fennel and/or anise seed, chili flakes, paprika. All to taste, best set overnite in fridge. If you don't want to do that also check with some local butcher shops for their homemade house stuff. That's what I do anyway.
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »
I'll echo what Jackitup said.  I'll buy Italian sausage links from a local deli or Whole Foods and add some ground fennel and a little cayenne to the mix.  It's the best and cheapest protein you can get for a pizza.  I wouldn't recommend precooked sausage unless you're looking to duplicate a Domino's pizza.  Although you're not going to find this at a retail supermarket, I have had Fontanini pizza sausage and it's really good: https://www.fontanini.com/food-services/product-category-foodservice/pizza-toppings
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
If you are looking for a Dominos or Pizza Hut type of Sausage.
You can buy Hormel Italian Sausage from RD for $21 for 2 5lb bags....Taste like Dominos.....JT

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »
Get hot, not sweet.
John

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »
Echoing the other responses.  I buy sweet and hot locally made links from Publix, The Fresh Market, Whole Foods or Sprouts.  They all make it.  Whole Foods and The Fresh Market are about $1.00/lb more expensive.  I remove the casing, season it up a bit and then pre-cook or not depending upon my needs.

Offline v8power

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input!  What I'm hearing is buy what I can, and help it become a good pizza sausage.  I haven't checked Publix or Whole foods yet.  In Fresh Market I can buy sweet or mild sausage by a single link.  That will help with experimenting.  The main ingredients I need to add are, fennel seed, anise seed, and some kind of heat. Thanks again!

Offline Brewer

• Supporting Member
  • Were in this mess together.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
Hello v8power, I also echo this excellent advice given from our members here.  I have also struggled with finding great sausage for pizza.  Every store/ butcher shop in my area makes terrible Italian sausage IMO.  Large doses of ingredients over powering in allspice, and strange interpretations of what good Italian sausage should be.  I was finally fed up so I bought a small heavy duty grinder from LEM.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/butcher-meat-grinders

This has been a true game changer in my pizza world.  Its now awesome!

If your not ready to grind on your own, and you dont feel doctoring up a commercial brand of sausage, you could start from scratch with your butcher shop and pure ground pork.  Below is a link to the Chicago thread here on the forum where there are plenty of awesome sausage formula links to create your own sausage.  Garvey makes a killer pizza sausage, and so do many others!  Start from scratch and ditch the Johnsonville.  Youll move forward and never look back.  Good luck!

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37026.0

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »
I bought some Aldi's Hot Italian links last week. I just got done taking the casing off and cut into raw nuggets for pizza in a couple hours. I nuked a small piece.....not bad! We'll see how it tastes on the pizza. Heat level about right for me, we'll see what the Warden thinks later. Not doctoring it, see how it tastes as is baked on the pie!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
When I'm shopping for sausage, my personal preference is for a coarse grind that is sold bulk instead of in casing. Seems to break up better for topping pies to me. Sometimes bulk isn't an option so I'm splitting casing too.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
I am a fan of coarse grinds too. For myself, I need: ground pork, salt, pepper, and fennel seed (partially ground). Additionally, I like a little chopped parsley and a slug of olive oil; some crushed red pepper if hot is on the menu.
-Tony

Offline jimk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »
This not going to help you- as far as I know, they do not ship. But for Chicago area peeps, I strongly recommend Nottoli for sausage if you're not going to grind your own. It's also sold in many local area markets. Ask for it by name. The mild with fennel or the hot or extra hot kick proverbial ass. http://www.nottoli.com/index.html

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
Although you're not going to find this at a retail supermarket, I have had Fontanini pizza sausage and it's really good: https://www.fontanini.com/food-services/product-category-foodservice/pizza-toppings

I buy the Fontanini raw bulk hot Italian. It used to be a coarser grind (I think) but it's pretty pasty since Hormel bought the brand.  :(

I've also made my own from the Restaurant Depot ground pork (frozen 5# tube, Garvey's recipe) and it was pretty good! If I thought pork butts were going to stay at $1/lb I'd consider buying a grinder...
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Best store-bought Italian sausage I've had is Premio brand. No comparison out there....

https://www.premiofoods.com/

Don't know if available in AL. I've seen it at Walmarts in NC.

It's available in one pound packages as links, patties or loose.

My Costco has 6lb packages that I buy and repackage into one pound packages with my Vacmaster.
Practice makes pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Love my Vacmaster!!!
Jon

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »
Love my Vacmaster!!!

I bought a VP210 in January last year. Hard to imagine life without it now.
Practice makes pizza

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
Best store-bought Italian sausage I've had is Premio brand. No comparison out there....

https://www.premiofoods.com/

Don't know if available in AL. I've seen it at Walmarts in NC.

It's available in one pound packages as links, patties or loose.

My Costco has 6lb packages that I buy and repackage into one pound packages with my Vacmaster.

I grew up on Premio sausages and even though they've gone to a finer grind and milder spicing their sausage still tastes way better than my local fare. A few years ago they added the online store and I stock up a couple of times a year.

My favorite is the rings of Luganiga:

https://www.premiofoods.com/product/sweet-luganiga-sausage/

Browned slowly in a skillet with some crusty bread and Plugra butter makes for a true peasant feast. (or diced on a pizza, of course...)