A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New origins of pizza in New York  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: New origins of pizza in New York
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »
Given Regas' upcoming lecture at the end of the month (not to mention his forthcoming book), I suspect that he wanted to hold back a lot of the information he would be presenting there, and that the podcast was/is more of an pre-release advertorial to drum up interest for them (it wouldn't surprise me if the book publisher paid SE to "interview" him) than an honest-to-goodness interview, and for that reason was intentionally limited in its scope.

Definitely possible. But even if the discussion wasn't about pizza or all the highlights from the book, I felt the discussion could have been more about Regas, his life, travels, jobs, other interests, has he written other books...

Offline jimk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
I'm willing to bet that pizza in my hometown of Chicago (NOT THAT DEEP DISH %$#!) goes back to the same general time frame. There's probably no documentation now, but we had Italians here from that era. Certainly pizza was made in the home, and was likely sold out the door from there, from Italian bakeries, Italian saloons, etc.

Offline Chicago Station

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
I'll be giving a presentation with Scott Wiener on the latest NYC pizza history discoveries tomorrow at 8 pm EDT. You will need to get a ticket to view the presentation via Zoom. Should be a very special event. Many descendants from early pizzeria families will be in the Zoom audience. If you don't want to spring for a ticket you can read about my discoveries on my blog posted in a week or so. Thank you.

Ticket link:
https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/rewriting-nyc-pizza-history-wed-sept-2/

Blog:
Pizzahistorybook.com

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:37:49 PM by Chicago Station »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
I'll be giving a presentation with Scott Wiener on the latest NYC pizza history discoveries tomorrow at 8 pm EDT. You will need to get a ticket to view the presentation via Zoom. Should be a very special event. Many descendants from early pizzeria families will be in the Zoom audience. If you don't want to spring for a ticket you can read about my discoveries on my blog posted in a week or so. Thank you.

Ticket link:
https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/rewriting-nyc-pizza-history-wed-sept-2/

Blog:
Pizzahistorybook.com

Peter W. Regas
Chicago, IL

I saw that event and it looks interesting. Unfortunately can't make it. Enjoyed listening to you on a Special Sauce podcast talking about the pre-Lombardi's pizza discovery. Welcome to the forum.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
Just to add one more step to the Gennaro Lombardi's genealogy, his grandfather Domenico was from Castellammare di Stabia (near Sorrento) and at the time of his death in Naples (21 May 1857) was recorded as a retired male nurse at a local hospital.

And his main occupation was a Saddlemaker - at least that's what's listed on his son's (Gennaro Lombardi) birth certificate.

Not a baker.  Not a pizza-maker...

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress