A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Milk in dough  (Read 517 times)

Offline landonspop

• I like pizza, I LIKE it.
Milk in dough
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
I found a recipe for the crust of one of my favorite hometown pizzas. What role would the milk play? This is the pizza in youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw18nQDyzIc&feature=youtu.be

4 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Dry Yeast
7oz Water
7oz 2% Milk

Directions
Combine flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Combine milk and water in a measuring cup. Heat water and milk mixture until it is 100 deg. F. Mix all ingredients together. Use a mixer if possible. It will make the job easier. Cover with a towel and let rise at room temperature for two hours. Roll and cut dough to start your pizza.
Looking to make a great Tavern style pizza.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Milk in dough
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »
Basically it's a dough conditioner, helps browning, affects gluten structure, mostly used as non fat dry milk powder form. There are other things I can't remember, Tom (Dough Doctor) could splain way mo betta than me!😉
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:34:10 PM »
Btw, loved the video! :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
Jackitup is spot on, the good news is that the calcium in the milk helps to strengthen the gluten forming proteins in the flour and the lactose (milk sugar) content helps with the browning of the crust, like I said, that's the good news, the bad news is the amount of milk you're adding (liquid milk I assume) really doesn't contribute to either of these effects as the amount is much too low. To get any realized effect you need to have the liquid milk at about 40% of the total liquid (40% liquid milk + 60% water = 100% of the total liquid added). Or is you use dry milk solids you can use 5% but remember to increase the dough absorption by 1% for each 1% milk solids added. Also keep in mind that lactose sugar is not metabolized by bakers yeast so it is not a source of food for the yeast to feed upon. Additionally, if using liquid milk it is a good idea to scald the milk before using it as this will help to improve its baking properties. Due to the cost of milk we really don't see much milk being used anymore, instead we use soy flour to replace the protein content of the milk and calcium sulfate to provide the calcium and whey to provide the lactose (whey solids are about 33% lactose, and because lactose is the least sweet of all the sugars there is essentially no sweetness associated with whey or lactose).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:23 AM »
Whoa! Correction!
I see you are using 50% of 2% liquid milk. At that level you will see some improvement in the gluten film (drier and stronger) as well as a stronger crust color.
Sorry about that!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »
I use scalded milk for one of the sandwich type breads I make. Commercially, using whey seems like a great way to use a waste product making cheese from milk yields. There may even be a tax credit available from the Wheys & Means Committee. ;D
-Tony

Offline landonspop

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:40 AM »
Whoa! Correction!
I see you are using 50% of 2% liquid milk. At that level you will see some improvement in the gluten film (drier and stronger) as well as a stronger crust color.
Sorry about that!

These are the cousins to Linos:

They are making a frozen pizza now for local grocers. They list dried fat free milk. Do I need fat, or could I use skim milk?

I believe dried milk costs more than liquid. Is this correct? I used 2% milk with my whole white wheat dough and it rolled out easy. I added more water to get dough more normal feel.

Both of these restaurants use a short rise time. Nothing overnight.

Offline landonspop

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 01:08:50 AM »
Btw, loved the video! :drool:

Thank you. I grew up 3 blocks behind this restaurant. I remember when this had a bar for 8 and sat 20. They had to buy the building next door for parking lot to use at night. They only open for dinner. They now have banquet rooms in basement. Easily ate 500 of these in my childhood and when I go back to visit. They have always taken care of our family.

Capri was my fav though. Same cheese, but the sauce was sweeter and more robust. See video I added. I need to duplicate this sauce. I make pretty good sausage. I use white wine with sweetness and fried pepper flakes. Have even used ground Serrano peppers.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:13:56 AM »
Very similar to one 9f my favorites, Red's Savoy's Pizza. Sturdy thin crust heaped with chunky grown up toppings. A flavor BOMB!!!
Jon