A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Eastern NC pork at white swan, smithfield nc  (Read 537 times)

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Eastern NC pork at white swan, smithfield nc
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Pork butts are $0.89/lb this week, for the third or fourth time this year (in VT!)... bad for the farmers, but someone's got to buy it.

For anyone with a smoker, this seems like a good time to dial in your process and try some sauces. I'm thinking of getting a decent grinder and making sausage for the year...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:42:10 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Other Jon here...I'm not into it enough anymore to become a judge. Used to have a concrete block pit and a 55 gallon drum for burning wood down to coals. It was always fun.

They still have The Troy Pig Out every year. Seems like there is always something going on that weekend. When it started, I thought about competing but it never happened. I like BBQ but these days I think I'd rather mess around with pizza.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Great price!  Once or Twice a year we see 39 cents per pound for shoulder which is just silly. I can’t resiist, we use the food saver for the copious leftovers. I love to pick at the bark a little just before taking it off the pit. Those are the best bites!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
Been a long time since I hung out on a BBQ forum. I don't think that particular forum exists anymore. Anyhow, this was the general Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce...dating myself here but that would have been in the late 90s.

1 pint cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

I do about the same, but I like to add just a bit of crushed tomatoes too. Not much, it should still be watery in consistency. 
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline goosta

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »
My wife and I used to live in Raleigh and I really miss Eastern NC BBQ. That's too bad that Allen & Son closed - that was definitely our favorite place!

I've never been successful at making a BBQ sauce that is similar to what we used to get in NC. Though, maybe my memory is too fuzzy now...  :D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 11:59:41 PM »
Other Jon here...I'm not into it enough anymore to become a judge. Used to have a concrete block pit and a 55 gallon drum for burning wood down to coals. It was always fun.

They still have The Troy Pig Out every year. Seems like there is always something going on that weekend. When it started, I thought about competing but it never happened. I like BBQ but these days I think I'd rather mess around with pizza.

This Jon agrees!🤣 It's a butt load of work doing comps, pun intended! My back hardly holds up up dinking around at home doing bbq and pizza. Still know some of the big names that do it and used to do it,  but the cost of doing a comp has gotten way out of hand. Even just judging, hotels, meals etc for 2, 3 days or more......still have fun reading about it and doing the home hobby thing!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
My brother and sister in law used to live in Raleigh so when we visited we we drive out there. Been awhile.

am I remembering right, didn't your brother also live on wooster st, between sally's and pepes? Pretty lucky! We're in central fl visiting my brothers. When we visited with the kids, the pizza was so bad they refused to eat it and thought it would kill our dog  :) The other food in town isn't much better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:00:57 AM by quietdesperation »
A wondrous sweet

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »

am I remembering right, didn't your brother also live on wooster st, between sally's and pepes? Pretty lucky! We're in central fl visiting my brothers. When we visited with the kids, the pizza was so bad my kids refused to eat it and they thought it would kill our dog  :) The other food in town isn't much better.

Different sides of the family but yes. My brother lived on Wooster street for a few years. On my wife's side, my brother in law/sister in law lived in Raleigh for 5 or 6 years.

Pizza might stink down there, but it just started snowing up here....

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
This Jon agrees!🤣 It's a butt load of work doing comps, pun intended! My back hardly holds up up dinking around at home doing bbq and pizza. Still know some of the big names that do it and used to do it,  but the cost of doing a comp has gotten way out of hand. Even just judging, hotels, meals etc for 2, 3 days or more......still have fun reading about it and doing the home hobby thing!

that's funny jon, my back always starts aching in the middle of comps. I guess we're of an age.

We've been thinking about getting my wife certified and building a road trip around judging/competing in contests. I use bjs meat, a wsm, and a craigslist performer, so the expense isn't too bad. There's a david/golliath rush when we get a call and the guys with $5k rigs start shaking their heads  :)
A wondrous sweet