A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "Same day" poolish pie....  (Read 742 times)

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
"Same day" poolish pie....
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
Snowing and a good day to experiment....I wanted to come up with a recipe and work flow that would work for lower temps and common flours. This recipe uses a poolish (40%) that sat in the oven...with the light on (about 85 degrees)... for 5 hours. This is certainly an interpretation of a poolish as it also contained the sugar and egg whites in addition to all of the formula IDY. After the five hours the poolish was mixed (by hand) with the remaining water, flour, salt and ghee. Then a 45 minute rest...a stretch and fold.....another 45 minute rest...S&F...Then balled and left on the counter for three hours before opening and baking....around 580 in the Ardore for about 8 minutes. A kitchen oven and stone or steel would work just fine as well.

The goal was something light, crispy and airy. I've used egg whites previously which seem to contribute to this...( Thanks to Chau)
I used KABF......

Flour....100%
Hydration....67%  ( I just counted the egg whites 1 to 1 as water....so water 60% and egg whites 7%)
IDY......  .10%
Salt (kosher)....  2.5%
Ghee......  2.7%
Sugar......  2%
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:28:36 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: "Same day" poolish pie....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:21 AM »
Looks good..what did you think, Bob?

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:59 AM »
It was good Bill. Not really an emergency dough but it had good flavor and was easy to work with. A good alternative for pizza on short notice....
Bob

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
wow, that looks :drool: :drool: !
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline goosta

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:03 PM »
Wow - nice job on that! Looks amazing.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
Thanks for making me hungry.  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »
Snowing and a good day to experiment....I wanted to come up with a recipe and work flow that would work for lower temps and common flours. This recipe uses a poolish (40%) that sat in the oven...with the light on (about 85 degrees)... for 5 hours. This is certainly an interpretation of a poolish as it also contained the sugar and egg whites in addition to all of the formula IDY. After the five hours the poolish was mixed (by hand) with the remaining water, flour, salt and ghee. Then a 45 minute rest...a stretch and fold.....another 45 minute rest...S&F...Then balled and left on the counter for three hours before opening and baking....around 580 in the Ardore for about 8 minutes. A kitchen oven and stone or steel would work just fine as well.

The goal was something light, crispy and airy. I've used egg whites previously which seem to contribute to this...( Thanks to Chau)
I used KABF......

Flour....100%
Hydration....67%  ( I just counted the egg whites 1 to 1 as water....so water 60% and egg whites 7%)
IDY......  .10%
Salt (kosher)....  2.5%
Ghee......  2.7%
Sugar......  2%

Looks great, CB! Did you hit your goal of light and airy? That's been a goal of mine for while and I rarely get it exactly where I want it.  I keep blending flours and playing with hydration and mix times.  I've never used egg whites -- do you think they make a big difference?  Dont hear about them very much.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:03:00 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
Jeff,

You might find these posts and threads of interest:

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1872.msg16511#msg16511,

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.msg5604#msg5604,

Reply 923 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg382565;topicseen#msg382565,

Replies 29 and 30 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg56419#msg56419,

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1872.msg16511;topicseen#msg16511,

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5422.msg45810#msg45810,

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29373.msg294816;topicseen#msg294816,

Reply 3 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29373.msg294816;topicseen#msg294816

If you search Chau's posts, under the name Jackie Tran, you will see more posts since he had good results using egg whites.

There will be a final exam on egg whites in a few days :-D.

Peter

Hopefully the exam wont be too detailed because I used the cliffs notes!  :-D 

Reviewing the links and some of Jackie's posts regarding egg whites, I see a quite a bit of talk about added crispiness and some about airiness.  I also think i recall Jackie mentioning something about stretch and folds to help produce a more airy crumb.  I might try to cut my KA spiral mix in half on the next round and finish with a couple of S/Fs to get some more air into the dough.
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »
Looks great, CB! Did you hit your goal of light and airy? That's been a goal of mine for while and I rarely get it exactly where I want it.  I keep blending flours and playing with hydration and mix times.  I've never used egg whites -- do you think they make a big difference?  Dont hear about them very much.

Hey Jeff....for a first attempt this was pretty good. I think next time I'll increase the IDY to .15%, reduce the fat to 2%, and give the poolish another hour to "cook"...I felt the dough was a bit under fermented. I think I'll use avocado oil instead of ghee the next time as well.

I just get in a rut sometimes and feel like trying something different.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:12:08 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »
Couple questions Bob...why sugar and egg whites added with the poolish instead of final? Also if you increase idy your poolish will go faster, but do you want it to,  flavor--wise?

Maybe this type of workflow could allow part of the idy to be added with final mix. Not conjecture really but something ive tried, in my version making the poolish overnight then adding rest of  ingredients. I recall a total idy of about .35 or ..4.   I think my dough was ready in about 3 or 4 hours..kept it pretty warm

I used LDM for such a short ferment, and that's often in your dough.  Just left it out experimentally?

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
That looks really good but I have to admit that I misread the title. I got excited when I thought it said Polish pie and was anticipating some kind of potato , pork and sauerkraut pie possibly topped with pierogies or something.
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »
Exceptional pizza, Bobby! And on the first try, no less.

Kudos to you, my friend!
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
Six hour poolish...in the oven with the light on. 68% hydration, 60% Caputo Chef's, 30% Whole Foods organic AP, 10% spelt, .15% IDY (split between poolish and final mix), 2.7% salt, 4% oil. Three hour rise in cast iron skillet.

Crust par baked for 10 minutes. Topped, then baked another 10 minutes at 500f (kitchen oven). Nice crusty cheese edge and lots of fun.....😊
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
Six hour poolish...in the oven with the light on. 68% hydration, 60% Caputo Chef's, 30% Whole Foods organic AP, 10% spelt, .15% IDY (split between poolish and final mix), 2.7% salt, 4% oil. Three hour rise in cast iron skillet.

Crust par baked for 10 minutes. Topped, then baked another 10 minutes at 500f (kitchen oven). Nice crusty cheese edge and lots of fun.....😊

Very nice - fun times!  :chef:  I might do a sicilian this weekend.
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
Very nice - fun times!  :chef:  I might do a sicilian this weekend.

Thanks Jeff.....I hadn't done a thick crust before and wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but was pleasantly surprised. Ya never know....
Bob

wordpress