A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making pizza at home, thin crust NY style  (Read 957 times)

Offline tinyzip

• I Love Pizza!
Making pizza at home, thin crust NY style
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
I am sure this question been ask many time, but cant seem to find the information here. I looking to make NY style pizza with home oven, kitchen aid mixer, King Arthur bread flour, instead yeast, table salt and sugar, does anyone have a recipes that they can share making great pizza. Thanks Zippy.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Making pizza at home, thin crust NY style
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
Sure, here's a formula and procedure to work with.
Flour: 100% 500-grams.
Salt: 2% 10-grams.
Sugar: 2% (optional) 10-grams.
Oil: 2% 10-grams.
IDY: (instant dry yeast) 0.375% 1.875-grams
Water: (65F) 62% (variable) 310-grams.

Put water in mixing bowl.
Add salt and sugar (if used) no need to stir.
Add the flour, then add the IDY right on top of the flour.
Mix at low speed just until all of the ingredients are incorporated and no dry flour is seen in the bowl.
Add the oil.
Mix at low speed for 1-minutes.
Mix at the highest speed possible without stressing your mixer for 8 to 10-minutes or just until the dough is smooth. Check the finished dough temperature, you are looking for a targeted temperature of 75 to 80F.
Remove dough from mixer and place on floured surface, divide into 300-gram dough pieces.
Round each piece into a ball and lightly oil.
Place each ball into individual plastic bags (food bags or bread bags) NOT Zip-Lock Bags.
Twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge.
Cold ferment the dough for at least 24-hours (48-is better) and you can go as long as 72 to 96-hours.
To use, remove dough from fridge, allow to temper AT room temperature for about 2-hours or until the dough ball reaches 50 to 60F.
Roll bag down around the dough ball and invert over a floured surface, flour the dough piece and open into a skin to 12-inches for immediate dressing and baking.
Bake preferably on a stone or steel at 550F or hotter. If you don't have either, a seasoned screen will do in a pinch until you can get one.
Note: Any unused dough balls can be placed in the freezer not more than 48-hours after the dough is made. The frozen dough will keep for about 10-days in the freezer. To use the frozen dough transfer the frozen dough ball from the bag to a suitably sized bowl that has been lightly oiled, cover with a lid or stretch wrap, place in the fridge for 24-hours to slack-out (thaw), turn out of the bowl directly from the fridge onto a floured surface and partially open the skin to about 8-inches, cover and allow to rest for 20-minutes, then finish opening to 12-inches for immediate use.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
Zippy,

The recipe that Tom posted is a good one, and one that members often use or a close variation of it.

Over the years, various members have created their own NY style dough recipes. And some NY style recipes have come to our attention from the outside. We ended up with so many good ones that I started this thread to list them:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11860.msg110288#msg110288

If you don't mind putting in a little work, you might check out some of the recipes in the above thread, as by looking at photos of the pizzas, and deciding if one or more of those meet your needs.

Peter

Offline tinyzip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
Excellent. Thank you The Dough Doctor and Pete-zza. I appreciate very much.

Offline tinyzip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
Question, can I mixed type 2 flour with bread, or just stick with bread flour

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Question, can I mixed type 2 flour with bread, or just stick with bread flour
Zippy,

If you mean a flour such as shown and described at https://www.molinispigadoro.com/en/type-2-flour/, I am not personally familiar with that type of flour. But we have members who routinely combine flours. However, for a NY style, I think I would stick with just bread flour. High gluten flour can also be used, and is very popular in NYC among professionals, but many of our members actually prefer and recommend bread flour for the NY style.

Peter

Offline tinyzip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
Thanks

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
Ditto.
All Trumps is the "go to" flour for New York style pizza, but in truth, any good bread flour will work well unless ya just gotta have all the chew possible, then go with All Trumps, for most though, they like to temper the "chew" factor down a bit and use lower protein content bread type flours to accomplish this.

Offline Makokiller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »
Tom, why do you say not to use zip lock bags?

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
And how about sauce and cheese recommendations for NY style? 7/11 out of the can? Part skim low moisture mozzarella or whole milk?

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »
why do you say not to use zip lock bags?

They're not long enough, or soft enough, to twist into a tail and tuck under (to auto-vent) -- also they're more expensive, won't conform to the shape of the ball (so big gaps), and they're harder to flip inside-out to get the ball out.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »
I found a way of using a zip-type storage bag that allowed me to use such a bag when I wanted to view a dough's fermentation performance. As shown in the first two photos below, to contain the dough, I put it into a large freezer storage bag equipped with a slider used to close the storage bag. I moved the slider to almost its fully closed position and poked a straw into the bag just in front of the slider. As I blew into the straw to inflate the bag, I moved the slider to its fully closed position just as I pulled the straw out. This created a balloon-like proofing bag for the dough, and made it unnecessary to oil it to keep a crust from forming. I could also see at all times what was happening to the dough. The bag I used was a Hefty One-Zip bag. One of the nice features of this storage bag was that it could be washed and reused, and could be used for cold fermented doughs also, if so desired. Of course, if I had guests who would end up eating the pizza, I would not use this method ;D.

Another simple storage device was to use the plastic containers that some restaurants use as "doggy bags". The second set of photos below show how I used them.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
I've found that some of my dough formulas end up sticking to the plastic bag if I don't lightly oil the dough ball, just like the dough balls always end up sticking to the bottom of the commercial dough boxes, hence the need for a scraper to remove them from the box. I really like the idea of the plastic containers...that's a pretty cool idea! Just make sure the dough doesn't expand too much.

wordpress