A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza toppings  (Read 363 times)

Offline keltobgy

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza toppings
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:17:19 PM »
Hello everyone I have been practicing on the NY style and Sicilian pizza for a while following Tomís mixing and management procedure. When baking in home electric oven I set the oven to 500f and I use a baking steel and leave it for 1 hour to reach optimal temperature. I add toppings to 11 or 12 inch NY pizza or to 8 x 14 tray for Sicilian  such as tomatos, black olives, green peppers, chicken, and meat balls. I notice that when I leave the pizza in the oven for more than 6-8 minutes the pizza browns beautifully but the the cheese is bubbling  and the toppings sink in the cheese. So when I take the pizza out it doesnít look like the professional commercial pizza I get from a pizzeria where the toppings are positioned properly over the cheese.. what could the reason for this and how to avoid it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:23:34 PM by keltobgy »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Pizza toppings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
Maybe too much cheese?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:54 PM »
Hello everyone I have been practicing on the NY style and Sicilian pizza for a while following Tomís mixing and management procedure. When baking in home electric oven I set the oven to 500f and I use a baking steel and leave it for 1 hour to reach optimal temperature. I add toppings to 11 or 12 inch NY pizza or to 8 x 14 tray for Sicilian  such as tomatos, black olives, green peppers, chicken, and meat balls. I notice that when I leave the pizza in the oven for more than 6-8 minutes the pizza browns beautifully but the the cheese is bubbling  and the toppings sink in the cheese. So when I take the pizza out it doesnít look like the professional commercial pizza I get from a pizzeria where the toppings are positioned properly over the cheese.. what could the reason for this and how to avoid it.

Tomatoes and bellers will lose a lot of moisture. Same with mushrooms. All that liquid will pool and seep into that boiling cheese and you'll end up with a disgusting pie.

You're home oven is not designed to channel/direct/funnel away that moisture as efficiently as a pro oven will. The way around it?

Slice veggies thin, two hours prior, and leave them out at room temp to ventilate and air dry. Add mushrooms and bellers during the last two minutes of the bake.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:54:28 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline keltobgy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:40:11 AM »
Maybe too much cheese?

Thanks Tom I add exactly 100 grams of cheese ... could it be the quality of cheese. I used to get saputo but Costco only sells now Kirkland branded cheese.

Offline keltobgy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »
Tomatoes and bellers will lose a lot of moisture. Same with mushrooms. All that liquid will pool and seep into that boiling cheese and you'll end up with a disgusting pie.

You're home oven is not designed to channel/direct/funnel away that moisture as efficiently as a pro oven will. The way around it?

Slice veggies thin, two hours prior, and leave them out at room temp to ventilate and air dry. Add mushrooms and bellers during the last two minutes of the bake.
Thanks Mike. I thought that the oven maybe the problem or it is too hot. I will try your suggestion I think it may solve the problem. I was thinking maybe I should bake for 3-4 minutes instead of 6-8 but crust browning will be an issue

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
If your crust isn't browning sufficiently with the reduced bake time try adding some or more sugar the the dough formulation to promote crust browning.
Ever have a Papa Murphy's pizza? 5% sugar. Can't say I like their sweet tasting crust but that's how they get their crusts to brown consistently in home ovens. If I was on their development team I would have used whey instead of sugar to promote crust color development, whey is roughly 70% lactose (milk sugar), it's a reducing sugar so it browns quite nicely, it is non-fermentable by baker's yeast so the amount doesn't change with the age of the dough and best of all, it's the least sweet of all the sugars so it doesn't impart sweetness to the finished crust flavor profile. Typical use levels are 8 to 12%.

Offline keltobgy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 09:57:16 PM »
If your crust isn't browning sufficiently with the reduced bake time try adding some or more sugar the the dough formulation to promote crust browning.
Ever have a Papa Murphy's pizza? 5% sugar. Can't say I like their sweet tasting crust but that's how they get their crusts to brown consistently in home ovens. If I was on their development team I would have used whey instead of sugar to promote crust color development, whey is roughly 70% lactose (milk sugar), it's a reducing sugar so it browns quite nicely, it is non-fermentable by baker's yeast so the amount doesn't change with the age of the dough and best of all, it's the least sweet of all the sugars so it doesn't impart sweetness to the finished crust flavor profile. Typical use levels are 8 to 12%.

Thank you Tom. I will try your recommendation in my next batch. I was at the Expo this year and unfortunately I haven't had the chance to meet with you. In trying to work around the problem I have, I started to bake the crust with sauce for 3-4 minutes first then take out the crust add the cheese and toppings. Here's the outcome. this one is loaded with 11 toppings. here are the pics. I have to say it was a bit dry after the second bake but the toppings remained in good shape and cheese color was perfect not burned like previous times.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:59:44 PM by keltobgy »

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
As noted, too much cheese can be a cause of the problem, but it could also just be too wet of a cheese. A good LOW-moisture cheese will bubble nicely as it comes up to temp and toppings stay put.
The higher moisture content in mass market mozzarella is problematic, in that it will boil off and inflate and "foam" the cheese. When this happens the density of the cheese drops and the toppings sink right to the bottom.