A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Yesterday's dough as starter  (Read 306 times)

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
Yesterday's dough as starter
« on: February 16, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
I always give my daughter some dough (about a 150gram ball of just flour and water) to play with while I make Pizza so I don't have to give her the pizza dough. Usually she throws it around and gets it dirty so we throw it away. The last batch was put in a plastic bag to save and later last night I gave her about 20 grams of the dough I used earlier in the day and she added it to her ball then put it in the bag. Today it is very active and I can tell it's fermenting. Is this pretty much what is done when you hear pizzerias saying their starter is old dough?
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Yesterday's dough as starter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
Pretty much so. It's an old method of leavening the dough but it does have its limitations since yeast doesn't multiply/divide under normal dough conditions you are adding less and less yeast every time you do it so fermentation times need to be progressively longer with each use. This is different from a true starter which is based on bacteria (lactobacillus/lactic acid forming bacteria) propagation in addition to yeast cells which are present in the air.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
Makes sense, thank you.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
Pazzo,

If you are interested in learning more about the use of old dough, aka pre-fermented dough, you might take a look at these articles by Didier Rosada:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm, and 

http://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm.

Also, in his book, The Taste of Bread, Professor Calvel points out (at page 44) that you can't use the old dough method indefinitely, that is, through a large number of generations, without the danger of producing undesirable flavors. I believe that is one of the reasons why some bakers periodically make up new batches of old dough ("new" old dough preferments).

Peter

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
Perfect, thank you for the articles.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T