A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: nyt article: Is Eating Deli Meats Really That Bad for You  (Read 463 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
nyt article: Is Eating Deli Meats Really That Bad for You
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/well/eat/is-eating-deli-meats-really-that-bad-for-you.html

"We see a 4 percent increase in the risk of cancer even at 15 grams a day, which is a single slice of ham on a sandwich,” said Dr. Nigel Brockton, director of research for the American Institute for Cancer Research. Eating a more typical serving of 50 grams of processed meat a day would increase the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 percent, a 2011 review of studies found."

"Processed meat refers to any meat, including pork, poultry, lamb, goat or others, that has been salted, smoked, cured, fermented or otherwise processed for preservation or to enhance the flavor. The category includes hot dogs, ham, bacon and turkey bacon, corned beef, pepperoni, salami, smoked turkey, bologna and other luncheon and deli meats, sausages, corned beef, biltong or beef jerky, canned meat and meat-based preparations and sauces, among others."
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: nyt article: Is Eating Deli Meats Really That Bad for You
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
Not good news for those Italians that have been eating dry cured salami for decades eh??  :D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »
I think it comes down to moderation, like most things. It really is also, as I've said before, the price of keeping food "safer" for a huge population, and I say "safer" because it's better than spoiled meat. We all know it started thousands of years ago, drying, smoking then combining salt into the mix to preserve meat for the larder to feed our families over the winter. It got boring eating smoked, dried, sometimes rancid meat so we got inventive and started to add things to make it better. Refrigeration came along and changed the game but now we liked what we created with  our creations  now known as charcuterie! It became a lifestyle in most all cultures and most all love it. Nitrates came into the scope increasing shelf life, decreasing production time, and with it a lot of good, but also with its little bit of dark side. Most of these studies are FAR from earth breaking news! We've known for decades that too much salt, nitrates, etc has bad side effects when consumed in abundance. But part of a balanced diet, indulging now and then, a non issue to me. I always find it funny when a so called NEW research comes out that puts a new spin on decades old info that basically just shows to me that there's too much grant money out there that perpetuates the same old shtt, and the media jumps all over it shaking their sticks! In a few years there will be more cyclical papers on it again! :-\ :P
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
and the amount of thin sliced pepperoni one can actually fit on a pizza is quite small anyway.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
I guess I'm in the same boat as jkb who said in another thread "everything I like will kill me".

Rolls >:(
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
Most of these studies are FAR from earth breaking news! We've known for decades that too much salt, nitrates, etc has bad side effects when consumed in abundance. But part of a balanced diet, indulging now and then, a non issue to me. I always find it funny when a so called NEW research comes out that puts a new spin on decades old info that basically just shows to me that there's too much grant money out there that perpetuates the same old shtt, and the media jumps all over it shaking their sticks! In a few years there will be more cyclical papers on it again! :-\ :P

the title of the article is a nod to the point that these are not new findings. However, it's possible that new generations of readers are not familiar with the facts. Also, the article does a good job quantifying the risk in terms of the quantity of meat consumed and cancer rates. that information was new to me.

In the short time I've participated in this forum, my completely unscientific observation is that members report health/weight challenges at a higher rate than the general population. Not surprising, after all, this is a pizza forum! As such, I think it's important that members are aware of these types of studies.

On a related note, I've asked and steve has agreed to add calories to the dough calculator. I offered to do the work (I have an ms in computer science) but Steve demurred. I'm disappointed this hasn't come to pass.

best,
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:35:35 PM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
I guess I'm in the same boat as jkb who said in another thread "everything I like will kill me".

Rolls >:(
Yes, that was in response to a remark I made. I did not mean to restrict things to try to foods but did not want to take the bread topic further off topic by clarifying.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:34:22 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »
sometimes scientists use math as a cudgel against the less-informed. here they throw around scary numbers like a single sandwich raising your cancer risk by 18%. remember though that is a reference to a percentage increase of an already small percentage.

I'll eat that sandwich every day, and twice on Sundays if it means lightning might strike me dead in 100 lifetimes...

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
This article was published in the NYT's?

Enough said...