A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Located some GRANDE whole milk Mozz  (Read 1343 times)

Offline TIWFD

• I Love Pizza!
Located some GRANDE whole milk Mozz
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
I was finally able to locate some Grande mozzarella at a super market! Last week I noticed at a Nugget Market that they had it rewrapped in plastic wrap in 1/2 lb portions. Today I went in and asked if they repackage it right there at the store and they said yes. So I asked if they have the whole blocks and they said they had 1 left so I bought the whole thing for $51. They said next time I want some to just let them know and they will order one for me when they put in their orders. Super stoked!

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
Re: Located some GRANDE whole milk Mozz
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »
Wow that is very expensive!

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
more like RAPE

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
Nice find! Not cheap, but still less expensive than Boars Head and not much more expensive than Galbani etc that are at least $5/lb here.  And anytime I order in from a pizzeria it's $50 anyway.

Happy baking, post up some pics of the results!

Matt

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
$50 for a 7lb loaf
I pay around $80 for a 30lb case of shredded Grand WM.{6 5lb bags}
Best to find a cash and carry distributor...…………..JT

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:26 PM »
Nice find! Not cheap, but still less expensive than Boars Head and not much more expensive than Galbani etc that are at least $5/lb here.  And anytime I order in from a pizzeria it's $50 anyway.

Happy baking, post up some pics of the results!
Restaurant Depot sells blocks of Galbani for 4.99 a pound times 6 pounds is $30.00 bucks.  Sansone on Long Island check the price cash and carry.  5 pounds of Grande Shredded Whole Milk sells for 18 dollars for pounds at Ace Endico and Gorden Food Service.  I get 5 pounds of Grande East Coast Blend from my guys in the local pizzeria for $14.00 dollars.   I think I can safely say I can recognized a RAPE.   

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:46 PM »
It's retail. No different than paying $5 for a 28oz can of tomato vs $5 for a #10 can. If he can find a cashncarry will of course be cheaper.
Matt

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »
Restaurant Depot sells blocks of Galbani for 4.99 a pound times 6 pounds is $30.00 bucks.  Sansone on Long Island check the price cash and carry.  5 pounds of Grande Shredded Whole Milk sells for 18 dollars for pounds at Ace Endico and Gorden Food Service.  I get 5 pounds of Grande East Coast Blend from my guys in the local pizzeria for $14.00 dollars.   I think I can safely say I can recognized a RAPE.   

$14 for Grande is the price.
I remember paying $60 for a case of Grande East Coast Blend a few years ago{$10 for a 5lb bag of shredded}
But feel I am getting RAPED at paying $74 per case today lol......But its ok since prices go up and goes down when buying at a distributor and half of my cheese is given aways for free to friends...…Its only money babyyyyy….JT

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:40 AM »
They said next time I want some to just let them know and they will order one for me when they put in their orders.

Making a 300% margin, I bet they will.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
I agree RIPOFF...…………………...JT

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
Couple nites ago I emailed TWIMC on Grande's website. To my surprise a sales rep called me and left his name and number on my messaging and I spoke to him today! Long story short, he lives not far away and comes thru my town often on his way to Rochester and said he would be happy to hook up for a couple cocktails and would be glad to bring me some samples of their products! He said there are very few cash and carry places that offer their line and that they try to keep it kind of a secret and want it more proprietary to commercial use, mostly restaurants. I laughed and said the secret has been out for awhile! Told him my affiliation with the very large consortium of home hobiests, caterers, and professional pizza chefs here on the PMF! He said the best way to get it is to know a restaurant owner and then they can get it thru the restaurant warehouses like US Foods and Reinhart Foodservice that deliver only to commercial facilties. Any Costco, Sam's, RD.....distant at best. Looking forward to meeting him and of course some samples (hopefully enough for a couple pies) and will definitely query him for more info! Need to remember pen and notepad!!!🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 04:18:26 AM »
Now that is cool!!!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 06:43:04 AM »
Seeing the Grande marked at $54 looks like a crime in progress. They're making a $40 dollar profit..maybe they're not selling enough pizza. They should be ashamed, really.

RD's house brand WMM, Suprema, isn't quite as flavorful as the Grande, but it's still quite good, and doesn't come with a payment plan.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »
I was finally able to locate some Grande mozzarella at a super market! Last week I noticed at a Nugget Market that they had it rewrapped in plastic wrap in 1/2 lb portions. Today I went in and asked if they repackage it right there at the store and they said yes. So I asked if they have the whole blocks and they said they had 1 left so I bought the whole thing for $51. They said next time I want some to just let them know and they will order one for me when they put in their orders. Super stoked!

Just had the same luck(?) at Plum Market in Ann Arbor, mine priced out at $46 - almost cheaper to mail-order from Vern's! Still, I wasn't going to look that gift (?) horse in the mouth, so I paid the cashier and came home to make doughs...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 03:45:28 AM »
I love Grande and I've got shops that will sell it to me (at 30% food cost! ).  No thanks.

John

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »

You bought a whole loaf from Nugget Markets in Marin??? Those people are rip-off experts!!

Same goes for Mollie Stones Markets, which also sell Grande.

Here’s a tip: Next time go to North Beach and have a slice at Tony’s Slice House and ask if they will sell you a loaf or a 5lb bag of shredded. You’ll pay less than half with those guys.

Charging $54 for a 6lb loaf is criminal.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »

No, actually it's retail... lol

Offline TIWFD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »
You bought a whole loaf from Nugget Markets in Marin??? Those people are rip-off experts!!

Same goes for Mollie Stones Markets, which also sell Grande.

Here’s a tip: Next time go to North Beach and have a slice at Tony’s Slice House and ask if they will sell you a loaf or a 5lb bag of shredded. You’ll pay less than half with those guys.

Actually, I bough it in Elk Grove. But now that you mention Tony's, I think I'll ask the guys at Pizza Rock in Sacramento next time I'm there if they'd sell me some. Great Idea, thanks Mike!

Offline goslats

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
Yeah, just contacted GFS and they carry the 5lb Grande whole milk shredded for $18.50.  Have been using Sams shredded and RD moz/prov blend and have liked them both, but have got to try the Grande now.  Lol

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Yeah, just contacted GFS and they carry the 5lb Grande whole milk shredded for $18.50.  Have been using Sams shredded and RD moz/prov blend and have liked them both, but have got to try the Grande now.  Lol

I called our local GFS this morning, and they carry the diced Grande in their reefer case, but you can order the Fior di Latte ovoline for something like $28 for two 3 pound tubs. I'm heading down there later today to place an order.