A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New book by Peter Reinhart on Pan Pizza  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New book by Peter Reinhart on Pan Pizza
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
The American Pie book has a copyright going back to 2003. I don't recall when I got my copy but when I studied it I found it useful to better understand the different types of pizzas. In many cases, Reinhart tied the pizza styles to the names of pizzerias that specialized in those styles, and I found that helpful. But as my knowledge base increased, I came to the conclusion that there were many problems with the recipes, for the reasons that other members have raised, plus others. Since members often asked about the Reinhart recipes, I converted a lot of them to baker's percents. And when I did that, flaws became more evident. For those who are interested, my converted Reinhart recipes can be seen by doing an Advanced forum search using the terms "Reinhart dough formulation Peter" (without the quotes) and using my forum name Pete-zza as the user. There will be around 90 hits but scanning the posts will lead to the Reinhart recipes as I converted them to baker's percent format. Doing that will reveal many of the problems mentioned above.

As for Reinhart's new book, it may not be fair to condemn the new book in advance of its release based on the American Pie book. Reinhart came to American Pie as a bread baker, not a pizza maker, and I think that his recipes reflected a lot of his experience as a bread baker. It's possible that his new book may avoid that approach and may better reflect the type of knowledge that exists today on the styles of pizzas he covers in his new book. But I am confident that our members will find any defects or flaws in his new recipes, and maybe elsewhere in his book as well.

Peter

Peter thank you for your thoughtful post.

I would like to add that apparently Reinhart is also a 3 time James Beard Award winning author. I think that says a lot about his work as an author.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: New book by Peter Reinhart on Pan Pizza
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
Locking this topic.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T