A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My attempt at becoming a pizza Jedi  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
Re: My attempt at becoming a pizza Jedi
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »
Playing around with a smaller cornice. I think ideally I'd like it just a little bigger. I've noticed that the further along the fermentation is in my dough, the whiter the finished pizza is. Is this because the yeast has consumed most of the sugar maybe?
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Online Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 04:10:42 PM »
I've noticed that the further along the fermentation is in my dough, the whiter the finished pizza is. Is this because the yeast has consumed most of the sugar maybe?

There are fewer sugars left to caramelize the crust and the acids formed as a byproduct of fermentation also hinder crust colouration.

Rolls
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
Thanks Rolls!

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
But on the other hand, a longer fermentation should produce more fermentation byproducts, which should mean more flavour.

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
4 pies tonight with KABF at 62%hr. 14 bulk and 10 in balls. Margherita, Pepperoni with wmlm and fresh mozz, shrimp and chorizo with a basil/parsley/lime chimichurri and fresh cilantro to finish, and the last one was a pistachio pesto and sausage. the were all launched around 850 and cooked 80-90 seconds. The pistachio pesto and sausage was the favorite and the shrimp and chorizo was outstanding as well. I don't remember who I stole that combo from but thank you!

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:31 PM »
It's been a while since I've posted any pizza pics so I figured I'd throw one up tonight. Made 5 dough balls last night but only cooked one tonight and put the other 4 in the fridge. I used Target's organic unmalted AP at 56% hydration, 3% salt and .02% IDY. Bulk fermented for about 2 hours than balled for 26. After I added the yeast I realized I grabbed the wrong bag and had some old, pretty much dead yeast in the dough so I wanted to get it in to balls as quick as possible to see if I would get any action out of the yeast. I saw a little progress in the morning so I decided to let it keep going instead of starting a new batch. I cooked the pizza at 875f for probably right around 90 seconds.

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
Oh and my inspiration behind this was to make a pizza with as little "measles" as possible. I've been watching a lot of Enzo Coccia lately and from what I gather, he's not a big fan of the instagram NP's with the charred leopard spots. I also wanted to do the low hydration because I've gone through a phase where I wanted to see what the highest hydration was that I could pull off so I figured I'd take it to the other end of the spectrum and see how low I could go and still get a tender and airy crust.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 06:56:45 AM »
4 pies tonight with KABF at 62%hr. 14 bulk and 10 in balls. Margherita, Pepperoni with wmlm and fresh mozz, shrimp and chorizo with a basil/parsley/lime chimichurri and fresh cilantro to finish, and the last one was a pistachio pesto and sausage. the were all launched around 850 and cooked 80-90 seconds. The pistachio pesto and sausage was the favorite and the shrimp and chorizo was outstanding as well. I don't remember who I stole that combo from but thank you!
How did the dough balls work when you opened them after 10 hours in balls.  What temp did you keep the dough balls at?

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
How did the dough balls work when you opened them after 10 hours in balls.  What temp did you keep the dough balls at?

The balls were fine. They opened up very similar to more normal dough which is usually between 60-65%. They were actually in balls for 26 hours at 72f. I don't think much of the yeast I used was still alive.

Offline BackyardPizzaiolo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
So what do you say high hydration vs low is doing? And how did you like that Target's dough vs a caputo?

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
So what do you say high hydration vs low is doing? And how did you like that Target's dough vs a caputo?

As far as comparing the two hydration levels, I can't really form an opinion right now because the process was so flawed. And I can't really compare the two flours either because I've never made a 56%hr dough with caputo. I think the flour will be fine and I'll be able to figure out how to make a good pizza with it at 56% after a couple bakes. I got some new yeast so tomorrows dough should give me a better judgement on the whole thing.

wordpress