A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hawaiian pork idea  (Read 397 times)

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Hawaiian pork idea
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm working on an idea I had for a Hawaiian pizza and I'm looking for some feedback.

I am essentially wanting to dress up the and do a little something extra with the standard take on the HI Pie.  I am thinking that I will give the pineapple a dredge in cream and brown sugar and grill them to bring the sweet.  The sugar carmelizes into a glaze. 

For the pork, I'm stuck.  I want to do a smoked pork shoulder but I don't know if I want to go citrus/sweet or if I should do something more savory to give contrast to the pineapple.  What do you all think?

To finish it off, I will use some sliced jalapenos to bring the heat. 

Thoughts on the pork?

Offline mmille24

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hawaiian pork idea
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »
I'd be slightly concerned the pork would dry out. How long are your bakes?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
Put some sliced fresh jalapeno on it too  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Huli-Huli - I love this stuff. Easy and addictive for either or both the pineapple and the pork. Lots of recipes on Internets:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/huli-huli-marinade-2216019

Offline pizzilla

• Howdy!
    • Pizza in an cup
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 03:21:13 PM »
On my last visit to the big island we went to a Sam Choy's restaurant and among the specials was a Kalua pork Hawaiian pizza, best Hawaiian I ever had. The pork stays nice and moist due to the Imu oven cooking process which for the most part steams/poaches the meat, you can duplicate the recipe in a slow cooker/crockpot as Kalua pork is pretty much 3 ingredients: Pink sea salt, liquid smoke and pork shoulder. It matched really well with the fresh pineapple. My 2 pennies  ;D
When life gives you pizza, eat it quickly before other people realize you have it.

Offline rlslmshdy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 04:32:00 AM »
For pork, use bacon. Mikes hot honey drizzled on the pie. Instead of jalapenos use the orange habaneros. Their usually sold in grocery stores beside the jalapenos. Habs have a citrus flavor that go well with pineapple. If your concerned about heat level of the habanero. Try removing veins and seeds first.

wordpress