A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Romana and Pinsa  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Matthew

Romana and Pinsa
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:04:49 AM »
Worked along side Davide D'Eramo, a great friend of mine and extremely talented pizza chef from the Pinsa school in Rome this weekend at the Restaurants Canada Show where Pinsa Romana made its debut in Canada.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:06:42 AM by Matthew »

Offline jsaras

Re: Romana and Pinsa
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »
Worked along side Davide D'Eramo, a great friend of mine and extremely talented pizza chef from the Pinsa school in Rome this weekend at the Restaurants Canada Show where Pinsa Romana made its debut in Canada.

That looks to be executed very well.  I hope that the crust got the same amount of attention that the toppings did.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
That looks to be executed very well.  I hope that the crust got the same amount of attention that the toppings did.

Pinsa crust is par baked and then cooled.  Once it cools to room temp, the toppings are applied.  If the pinsa in the photos looks anemic, it's because it needs to go in the oven for a final bake.  It was set up in the banco in Roman fashion as they do at Pinsa shops.  This is my new favorite style; just amazing.  Same is true for the teglia, it is slightly under baked as it goes in for a final bake prior to serving.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:41:02 PM by Matthew »

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 12:29:15 PM »
I've also taken to double-baking my square pies. Really the only way to get it crispy on the outside and soft inside.

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »

Pinsa crust is par baked and then cooled.  Once it cools to room temp, the toppings are applied.  If the pinsa in the photos looks anemic, it's because it needs to go in the oven for a final bake.  It was set up in the banco in Roman fashion as they do at Pinsa shops.  This is my new favorite style; just amazing.  Same is true for the teglia, it is slightly under baked as it goes in for a final bake prior to serving.

Do you have a favorite Pinsa Romana recipe??
Bob

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:01:25 AM »
Beautiful picture Matthew I can see why you like this style!    Are the zucchini cooked at all in these pics, or do they go on raw and just lightly bake on the reheat?    How long is the reheat and at what temp?   What is the difference between teglia and pinsa dough?  sorry for all the questions!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 05:43:16 AM »
Beautiful picture Matthew I can see why you like this style!    Are the zucchini cooked at all in these pics, or do they go on raw and just lightly bake on the reheat?    How long is the reheat and at what temp?   What is the difference between teglia and pinsa dough?  sorry for all the questions!

Hey Scott,
Long time!  Great to hear from you.  The zucchini is raw in the pictures (sliced very thinly & placed in ice water) & get cooked in the reheat.  Reheat is at around 300C for a couple of minutes.  What makes Pinsa unique is the flour blend (contains soya & sourdough).

I am undergoing a full training session 1st week of May with the trainers from the Pinsa School in Rome.  Once I complete the training, I will be qualified to teach.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Matt

Offline jsaras

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »

Hey Scott,
Long time!  Great to hear from you.  The zucchini is raw in the pictures (sliced very thinly & placed in ice water) & get cooked in the reheat.  Reheat is at around 300C for a couple of minutes.  What makes Pinsa unique is the flour blend (contains soya & sourdough).

I am undergoing a full training session 1st week of May with the trainers from the Pinsa School in Rome.  Once I complete the training, I will be qualified to teach.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Matt

The attempt to market and license pinsa in a VPN-like fashion is ridiculous IMO.   This style didn’t exist two years ago, but it’s being marketed as a rediscovered recipe from ancient Rome??!!!???.....and you have to buy their proprietary flour blend???!!??  I really need to trademark my “Denominazione di origine Camarillo”  the “other DOC” and cash in.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »

............ What makes Pinsa unique is the flour blend (contains soya & sourdough).

Matt

I saw them demo this out at the Pizza Expo and poked around on the internet looking for flour blend recipes.  I just made a dough yesterday with a blend of 85% HG flour (Kyrol), 5% Soy Flour and 10% White Rice Flour.  80% HR, 1.5% Salt and 1% OO.  For yeast I used the Red Star Instant Sourdough (IDY + lactobacillus).  The dough is in the fridge for its 72 hour rest.

The dough smelled a bit weird, maybe from the soy flour or maybe I blew it somehow. :-D    We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:58:32 PM by parallei »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
I have this on my to-do list, there's a pinsa place here that does very good ones and I was wanting to try and recreate it at home if possible. I was going to use a very similar recipe, although will use some of my sourdough starter with IDY

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
I have this on my to-do list, there's a pinsa place here that does very good ones and I was wanting to try and recreate it at home if possible. I was going to use a very similar recipe, although will use some of my sourdough starter with IDY

Please try it soon and report back!  After 24 hours at about 37F (2.8C), mine still smells a bit odd. >:(

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
I saw them demo this out at the Pizza Expo and poked around on the internet looking for flour blend recipes.  I just made a dough yesterday with a blend of 85% HG flour (Kyrol), 5% Soy Flour and 10% White Rice Flour.  80% HR, 1.5% Salt and 1% OO.  For yeast I used the Red Star Instant Sourdough (IDY + lactobacillus).  The dough is in the fridge for its 72 hour rest.

The dough smelled a bit weird, maybe from the soy flour or maybe I blew it somehow. :-D    We'll see.

O.k. So I did this.  In my opinion, not worth the time.  I suppose a commercial establishment could purchase the bags of premixed flours.  Like Papa Johns or others do. :(

Personally, I prefer a wheat flavored doug.  You know, wheat - pizza........breads.

I remember one of their selling points at the pizza expo was one person could crank out multiple  "blanks" to top and finish later.  I'll stick with real people making real pies.  Blech......
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:35:20 PM by parallei »

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
Paul....was it a flavor thing or texture? Or both?
Bob

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 09:57:04 PM »

No offense intended, but every time I see this pic, all I can think of is a salad bar.

Hey, I LIKE salad! (grin)

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
Paul....was it a flavor thing or texture? Or both?

Capt - I did the full on 72 hr ferment with the blend of flours I noted above.  Maybe I blew it, but it was weird.  The dough was very easy to handle for an 80% HR.  Maybe that is part of the selling point for the blend they are selling.

It did not taste really wheat like.  Once again, maybe I blew it, but I'll stick with wheat and more "wheat like grains".  The texture seemed O.K. and it held up to the second after topping bake well.  I did not use any fancy pants toppings and threw most of it out. 

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 11:04:18 PM »
Capt - I did the full on 72 hr ferment with the blend of flours I noted above.  Maybe I blew it, but it was weird.  The dough was very easy to handle for an 80% HR.  Maybe that is part of the selling point for the blend they are selling.

It did not taste really wheat like.  Once again, maybe I blew it, but I'll stick with wheat and more "wheat like grains".  The texture seemed O.K. and it held up to the second after topping bake well.  I did not use any fancy pants toppings and threw most of it out.

What was the crumb texture like?  Open airy or dense biscuit like? Or somewhere in between?

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
What was the crumb texture like?  Open airy or dense biscuit like? Or somewhere in between?

This is what mine looked like.  Not the best, but maybe that is just me.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:33:20 PM »
I got this from a now defunct website. 

Poolish Recipe:
Flour 100%
Water 100%
Yeast 0.2%
Method: Mix all ingredient for approximately 10 minutes, Cover and Bulk ferment at room temperature for 12-16 hours before usage.

Pinsa Romano Recipe:
All Purpose Flour 90%
Semolina Flour    10%
Water 65%
Poolish 50%
Salt 2.4%
Yeast .5%
OLIVE OIL 5%

Method:
Mixing 8 min. low, 5 min. high  or until fully developed
Dough temperature 25-26◦C
Cover and Bulk fermentation 60 min.
Scale 280 g
pre shape into oval format about  9 inches and rest dough covered for 40 min. Place dough piece on top of semolina flour and starting dimpling from the outer rim and work towards the center.  Once completely flattened, drip some olive oil on top and bake onto oven stone..
Oven temperature 350◦C
Baking time 60 seconds.
Remove from oven once baked and cool. Top as desired and bake again at 200C for approximately 10 minutes.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 11:39:14 PM »
I got this from a now defuct website............

Yes.  However, I was shooting to mimic the "Pinza Blend" that was all the rage at the Pizza Expo.

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 12:10:08 AM »
This is what mine looked like.  Not the best, but maybe that is just me.

Thanks for the pic.  It is better than I would have thought.

But, then again, I really am an amateur.