A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Focaccia de reco  (Read 845 times)

Offline mrmafix

• I Love Pizza!
Focaccia de reco
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:56:33 AM »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Focaccia de reco
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:30 AM »
This is a very tasty style of Ligurean focaccia which is different from other styles of the region, such as the popular Genovese and the lesser known thinner crust style made in Voltri.

For focaccia di Recco, it's well worth sourcing the stracchino cheese if you can find it. One "trick" with this particular style is to use strong flour and omit the salt in the dough in order to achieve greater extensibility.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
This is a very tasty style of Ligurean focaccia which is different from other styles of the region, such as the popular Genovese and the lesser known thinner crust style made in Voltri.

For focaccia di Recco, it's well worth sourcing the stracchino cheese if you can find it. One "trick" with this particular style is to use strong flour and omit the salt in the dough in order to achieve greater extensibility.

Rolls
Agree on using stracchino.  I've found it at whole foods (I use it for panigacci).  It was a US-made cheese though - stracchino doesn't travel well. 

Offline mrmafix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
Any idea how Nancy Silverton's gets that golden color?  All the other ones look pale compared to hers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:41:54 PM by mrmafix »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »
Any idea how Nancy Silverton's gets that golden color?  All the other ones look pale compared to hers.

Aside from the usual suspects of malted flour, added malt and/or sweeteners, which all contribute to crust colouration, perhaps the golden colour has to do with baking in an oven with particularly strong top heat. Or maybe they're putting some semola rimacinata, which has high beta carotene, into the mix.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:15:59 AM »
https://www.focacciadirecco.it/index.php/la-focaccia/metodo-di-produzione.html

This is the DOP recipe, there are no additives. I make it regularly, it has a yellowish tinge, but I'd say photography has much to do with what you ware looking at. I use crescenza/stracchino when I have it, but when I don't have crescenza/stracchino I use camembert. This video is also from the Consorzio:

wordpress