A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dunkin' Donuts Yeasted Donuts copycat  (Read 1439 times)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Dunkin' Donuts Yeasted Donuts copycat
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
Using flour with too low of a protein content can result in an overly tender finished donut, deleting the whole egg will reduce the richness of the finished donut. 0.8% IDY should work OK.
Remember that powdered sugar is made from dextrose, not sucrose which is why powdered sugar exhibits a cooling effect in the mouth and the flavor isn't overly sweet.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 04:08:37 PM »
The donut in my photo is fried at low temp, around 130 C. My place here is cold, and I dont have dough proofer. So I ferment the donut for 45 minute at room temperature, then put the donut in 130 C oil, maybe it would proof there.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 05:49:31 PM »
That is a VERY LOW temperature (130C/266F) for frying donuts at. The lowest I've ever seen used was 340F/171C.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
If I use oil temperature higher than 150 C, my donut will set quickly and cant get the white ring.

Maybe I should do final proof at warmer temperature and longer time?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 01:48:04 AM »
That would be my recommendation. Yeast raised donuts are final proofed at 85 (29.4C) to not more than 90F (32.2C) at between 70 and 75% relative humidity for 40 to 60-minutes. Total frying time will be just under 2-minutes total for both sides.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 05:37:49 AM »
That would be my recommendation. Yeast raised donuts are final proofed at 85 (29.4C) to not more than 90F (32.2C) at between 70 and 75% relative humidity for 40 to 60-minutes. Total frying time will be just under 2-minutes total for both sides.

Thanks a lot for the detailed instruction, Tom.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
I dont have dough proofer. my kitchen temperature around 23 C, is it possible to proof my donut in the kitchen..

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
I dont have dough proofer. my kitchen temperature around 23 C, is it possible to proof my donut in the kitchen..
Try your oven with the light on.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
And don't forget to put a wet towel in the oven too, otherwise just heating the air will drive the R.H. down allowing a crust to form on the dough (something you don't want).
It is very easy to make your own donut proofer too, all you need is a box, a light bulb and a wet towel, use a pair of stem type thermometers for measuring R.H. with a couple of ventilation holes cut into the box to control temperature and humidity you're good to go.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 01:40:51 AM »
thank you Tom.

The donut turn out good, with nice white ring. I proofed them in the stove-top oven. Fried at 160 C.

When I use 170 C, the donut turned dark quickly under 30 second. I use 18% sugar.

Is it necessary to dry the proofed donut outside proofer box for 10 minutes before frying?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:45:23 AM by calzonemaker »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
If the donuts were wet coming out of the proofer the relative humidity was too high in the proofer, remember that you only want a R,H. in the 75 to 80% range (favoring 75%) at this humidity the proofed donuts will have a dry but soft outer skin on them.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 01:03:30 AM »
if I use 20% whole egg, the donut will get brown fast. So to get golden brown color, the frying time will be under 1 minutes total. Should I adjust the oil temp, so the total frying time be 2 minutes?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
No, not unless your frying fat temperature is above 365F/185C, if you drop the fat temperature too far the donut will become dry or the inside will not be cooked properly. Optimum frying time for a yeast raised donut with a scaling weight of around 1.5-ounces will be about 1-minute and 45-seconds.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
I guess my $5 thermometer is faulty. Need a better one.

My frying time for 40 gram donut is around 2 minute and 20 second. I should aim for 1 minute and 45 second.

Thanks Tom for the reply.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
One thing I should point out is that what I fry donuts in is different from what you are frying them in, I'm talking about using a commercial donut fryer using a bit more than a cube of shortening (50#) so I have a huge amount of latent heat stored in all that hot oil while you are frying in what appears to be maybe just a couple pounds of oil so the temperature is not as consistent as mine is, with that said you may need to fry your donuts a little longer, you will sacrifice something in quality but that's the nature of the beast. The good news is that yeast raised donuts have a shelf life measured in hours so more than likely they'll all be gone in no time at all.  :chef:

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:35 PM »
perhaps with 1.5 litre of oil + aluminium wok, the temperature of oil will be fluctuative.

also with that amount of oil, the heat of the wok maybe radiate directly to my donut.. so it get brown quickly?

about shelf life, what chemical or enzyme that I can use to increase shelf life.. to slow staling..

I put my donuts in other people shops.. I hope the donuts can stay delicious for 72 hour..

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:11 AM »
Nope, it's not the radiant heat coming off of the aluminum wok, the oil will easily absorb that heat.
There is NOTHING that will give you a 72-hour shelf life on a yeast raised donut. If you want to have a 72-hour shelf life from a donut you have to make cake donuts, not yeast raised donuts.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »
To Tom's point, Look at what Duncan has to add to their donuts to give them an extended shelf-life (they are not fried in the stores). Also note that they are only kind of yeast raised. They also use baking powder.

Glazed Donut
Donut: Enriched Unbleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron as Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Enzyme,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Palm Oil, Water, Dextrose, Soybean Oil, Whey (a milk derivative), Skim Milk, Yeast, Contains 2% or less of:
Salt, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda), Defatted Soy Flour, Wheat Starch, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl
Lactylate, Cellulose Gum, Soy Lecithin, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, A
rtificial Flavor, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative), Enzyme, Colors
(Turmeric and Annatto Extracts, Beta Carotene), Eggs; Glaze: Sugar, Water, Maltodextrin, Contains 2% or less of: Corn Starch, Mono and
Diglycerides, Citric Acid, Agar, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Artificial Flavor.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dam/dd/pdf/allergy_ingredient_guide.pdf
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress