A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: vegan pizza toppings - ideas & recipes  (Read 365 times)

Offline julius_sanders

• I Love Pizza!
vegan pizza toppings - ideas & recipes
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:14:01 AM »
Hi, my favorite pizza is still the margherita or classic cheese pies. But I would like to experiment a little with vegan pizzas. So I would like to collect recipes and ideas of vegan toppings.

One simple, but really good pizza is:

- high quality tomato sauce (for example San Marzano)
- garlic
- high quality Extra virgin olive oil

:chef:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:15:38 AM by julius_sanders »

Offline hotsawce

Re: vegan pizza toppings - ideas & recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
I don't believe in the fake cheese etc for vegan pies. The furthest I'll go is cashew "ricotta", which is just soaked and pulsed cashews with some water.

I've made a fantastic vegan pizza by riffing on a sausage/onion/mushroom pie I did. Sauce, calabrian chili oil, roasted shrooms, roasted fennel (the sausage replacement,) and shaved sweet onions. It didn't need cheese....

Offline andres186381

• I Love Pizza!
Re: vegan pizza toppings - ideas & recipes
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
Hey, vegan here with some ideas that are far from traditional but use simple real ingredients. (also please let me know if I posted in a correct manner, I am new to forums in general)

-One thing I tried was a "caramelized onion paste with vinegar", it can be used as the first topping (base) of the pizza then topped with most traditional ingredients. I caramelized sliced yellow onion with salt (no oil yet trust me) until sweet and amber brown. Once fully caramelized to your taste, reduce the heat to low and let "dehydrate" until the consistence of tomato paste. Then process the onions however you like (I minced the heck out of them until pasty). Then add in things such as(no exact recipe, improvise): dried oregano, balsamic, fresh ground pepper, salt, cumin etc. The idea is to have a VERY flavorful paste to lay a thin layer on the pizza.
-Other thing I tried was repurposing a vegan "cheesy spinach dip" I made. Basic idea is to blend a "bland" not (I used blanched almonds) with enough water    to make a thick paste. From there add garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, lemon juice, some vinegar, and other flavors you may like. I ended up adding
too much water and had to add corn starch and cook the sauce to thicken. While the sauce (or dip whatever) is still hot, add some finely chopped greens like
basil, spinach, or arugula. I then put this as the base of the pizza because lets be honest "brown" vegan cheese is not that good.

Let me know what you think, I am always coming up with new ideas and testing them out (with pizza and all other food types). I'd love to continue this thread and grow it. Ciao

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress