A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why do Italian pizzaiolo's prefer stiff sourdough starters?  (Read 145 times)

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
Why do Italian pizzaiolo's prefer stiff sourdough starters?
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
In watching videos of Italian pizzaiolo's and reading some of their books and recipes, I noticed a consistent pattern where many prefer stiff sourdough starters (Lievito Madre). I was wondering if anyone could please explain if there is any benefit to keeping and using a stiff starter over a liquid one for Neapolitan pizza? I've always kept a 100% hydration starter because of ease of maintenance and feeding, not to mention ease of incorporation into dough. I recently switched to about 90% because I find it easier to keep the jar clean when it's not overly liquid. However, it seems that Italian pizzaiolo's keep theirs pretty much as a stiff dough, in the 60's. This seems like a lot more work, so what's the benefit that would make it worth it? Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:17:25 PM by DoouBall »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Why do Italian pizzaiolo's prefer stiff sourdough starters?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
Things that makes life harder for the lactic acid bacteria in the dough (low hydration being one of them) tend to swing the ratio of acetic to lactic acid produced towards acetic which is generally perceived as more flavorful.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »
Got it. What’s your preference?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
I've only tried stiff a couple times. I didn't notice a difference and wet is easier, so I never messed with it again.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress