A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Can't get the dough to temp.  (Read 131 times)

Offline crabu2

• I Love Pizza!
Can't get the dough to temp.
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »
I've made about 5 different doughs in my bread machine, but I can't seem to get a nice chewy crust.  Because of this, I decided to pull out the stand mixer and try Tom Lehmann's NY style crust from under the recipe section.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann-nystyle.php

I started with 300g of KA bread flour.. 63% tap water, 3/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of oil and 1/2 tsp of IDY.  The instructions said to add the salt and sugar.. but since there was no sugar listed in the ingredients, I still went ahead and added 1/2 tsb of sugar.  Outside of the sugar, I basically followed the recipe by volume; everything but the flour and water.  My scale just isn't precise enough, so I could only weigh the water and flour.

So I'm following the directions and it says I should get the dough to 80-85F.   I don't know why, but it just wouldn't get past 78F.  I don't have a insert thermometer, so I used my IR temp gun.   I basically gave up after about 11 mins because I didn't want to over knead the dough.

With that said, I need to know what to do..  for now and for the future.  Here's some questions, if anyone can help by answering or just giving tips.

1.  How important is it to get to 80F - 85F?  Since I never got there, do I just let it ferment longer?  Indoor temp is 69F.
2.  Should I have done the window pane test?  I didn't do it, but the dough looked good...  Let's assume it didn't get enough kneading since it never got to 80F.  Will a 24 hr fermentation   be enough to fix not having kneaded the dough enough?  If not, should I let it cold ferment for say a minimum of 48hrs, or does it matter?
3.  Since the dough was 78F, I left it covered on my counter to get to room temp (69F)...its still there...   Let's say I just stick it in the fridge... will that be ok?
4.  Do you feel my dough will be ok?

Thanks all!

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Can't get the dough to temp.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:11 AM »
Hi, I try some replies :

1. As far as I know, in baking we try to get around 23°C-73°F to get a standard basis of fermentation. At home, I don't worry too much about 22, 23 or even 26°C. 85°F seems high though  ???

2. I understood the window pane test is useful for high hydration-high-speed kneading dough ; for classic pizza, I never care about it, and I can still have good results. Because of long fermentation times (24/48/72H) we can even under-mix the dough (I recall having read Tom Lehmann saying something similar about this)

3. Usually, with CF procedure, we CF 1 day, 2 days, 3 days... So I suggest you put you dough balls in the fridge indeed, and try at 24H, then 48H, then 72H, so you can see the evolution of your CF. You may have to take out the dough from the fridge one hour or more prior to baking so it can get back to RT.

4. Of course it will (except if there's something more that you didn't mention), don't worry too much. Controlling the yeast is just like your shower water : if it's too hot you add cold, if it's too cold you add hot! Except that we can stay longer under a hot shower than a cold one  :P (it's the contrary for the yeast!)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline crabu2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
Yael,

Thanks, but my dough is done..  I pulled it out from the fridge to see if I could stretch it and it was like rubber.   I tried balling it back up, and I put it in the fridge to see what it might look like tomorrow. 

I did make an emergency dough this morning, based on the same recipe, but I had the mixer knead it for like 15 to 20 mins.  Used warm water and honey, balled it up and left it on my counter for about 2 hours...  Then made the pizza.  It came out fantastic, outside of the dough being a little bland.  I started another thread, if you're interested in how it looks.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
You should give us your formula in %, it's better for a quicker view (I'm French, I never got along with the spoons and the cups and the glasses..!!  :-D)

Here is the link of your other post https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=56700.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:50:16 PM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T