A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Touting Cento Puree  (Read 493 times)

Offline Grease Wheel

• I think it’s going around..
Touting Cento Puree
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
Hello to all! My first post. I make great pizza, thanks to you guys. TY!

My go to sauce is Cento Purée. Out of the can, onto the pie.

I’ve tried them all. The others were too watery. Even with draining, even with jamming a paper towel into the sauce sucking up 25% of the weight. Wait one minute and water will separate and rise to the top.

Not so with great tasting, no citric acid, Cento Purée.
You know she ate her pizza dancing to the beat..

Offline Chi_Guy

Re: Touting Cento Puree
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:31 AM »
I googled it and it looks like a passata which I've been using recently for my sauces.  I have to say it gives a much richer tomato flavor than crushed tomatoes.  The one thing it lacks is texture.  I like the little bits of tomato here and there. 

I've that some pizza operators make their sauces by combining "heavy puree" with crushed tomatoes.  I might try something similar for my next bake and mix in some passata with crushed tomatoes.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
I think Puree is a great starting point for Midwest thin n crispy or American style pies.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
A little texture.. I can dig it!

I use the purée as a base for other sauce dishes.

Recently sprang for some Cento San Marzano (a day before they were outed, lol) and was not impressed at all. Their purée tastes, noticeably more than others IMO, springtime fresh. :)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
Interesting, I've had good luck with Cento SM in the few times I've used them. But they go for around $5 a can here, right now my preference is probably the #10 San Benito SM Style for $3.50 a can when it comes to whole tomatoes.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 05:44:54 PM »
Interesting, I've had good luck with Cento SM in the few times I've used them. But they go for around $5 a can here, right now my preference is probably the #10 San Benito SM Style for $3.50 a can when it comes to whole tomatoes.

I keep the Cento Italian in the pantry when I don't want to open a #10 of Stanislaus.  I've historically preferred it to the Cento SM.  My wife accidentally picked up the SM last week and the current lot is damn good.  It immediately went on my grocery list.

John

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
You’ve seen this, I presume.

“The San Marzano canned tomatoes class action further states that according to the Consortium for the Protection of the San Marzano Tomato Dell’agro Sarnese Nocerino, the Italian non-governmental group that represents producers and distributors of San Marzano tomatoes, only five percent of tomatoes marketed as San Marzano tomatoes are real San Marzano tomatoes.”

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/food/880933-cento-fine-foods-class-action-says-san-marzano-tomatoes-misrepresented/

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »

“The San Marzano canned tomatoes class action further states that according to the Consortium for the Protection of the San Marzano Tomato Dell’agro Sarnese Nocerino, the Italian non-governmental group that represents producers and distributors of San Marzano tomatoes, only five percent of tomatoes marketed as San Marzano tomatoes are real San Marzano tomatoes.”

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/food/880933-cento-fine-foods-class-action-says-san-marzano-tomatoes-misrepresented/

Yep, here's a link to some discussion about it

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=56471.0

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
I've had good results with Cento SM too, but I find the tomatoes very watery. Last few bakes I've use Muir Glenn Organic Whole Peeled, and there is significantly less water in them. After a heavy stick blend and pushing through a strainer it still has weight kindof like crushed tomato. (And it may actually be too thick for me as I like a really wet melt.)
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:43:54 PM »
my grocery list.

Good to see you have your bases covered. After some lox and onion washed down with cider vinegar, mouthwash would be polite if you have any guests  :-D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:47:03 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »

I like them and that's all that matters to me.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »
I've had good results with Cento SM too, but I find the tomatoes very watery. Last few bakes I've use Muir Glenn Organic Whole Peeled, and there is significantly less water in them. After a heavy stick blend and pushing through a strainer it still has weight kindof like crushed tomato. (And it may actually be too thick for me as I like a really wet melt.)

Yeah, they are thin.   Used it for tofu "meatballs" so it was cooked down a little.  I think I would drain it and reduce the liquid a bit if I were to use it for pizza.  I'm using it for my Fleischmann's yeast pizza challenge.
John

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »
I like them and that's all that matters to me.

That’s the bottom line! And it’s akways good to know what’s what so to acquire more of what is liked and to avoid that which isn’t.

A lot of the fun I had learning to pie was trying all the different ingredients, formulations and brands. Even crud stuff taught me something. The worst sauce by miles was Boboli. Lol, I’ll never forget it!

I’ve settled on a list of decently high quality ingredients that I’m enthusiastic about. But this board  is about sauces so I’ll extol the virtues of those another time. That is if I’m not immediately banned for using the word pie as a verb! [email protected] me!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:30:15 PM by Grease Wheel »