A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Special ingredient in the dough...  (Read 312 times)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Special ingredient in the dough...
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:15:38 AM »
Ok so my wife is breastfeeding our newborn baby, and she has all this milk in the freezer that she sadly needs to throw away because it already passed the best-before date, and I'm like... Should I try this in the dough??  >:D

No... Yes?? No...  :-[

Next thing I remember I'm scaling the ingredients!

So here we are, I tried maternal milk in the pizza dough. I guess I am not the first, but I made a research on the forum and didn't find someone making it before (maybe Peter will dig out some forgotten links from the abyss of the forum haha).

Formula :
100% Flour (Italmill blu, around 11% protein) - 1000g
60% hydration (31% water - 29% maternal milk)
Salt already in the flour
IDY 0.2%
EVOO 3%

Procedure:
Quick mixing with KA style mixer, rest 45 min on the counter then balling (270g) then CF (7~8°C) overnight (~13H), next day dough taken out ~6H before baking (23°C); 3H before baking only for the 3rd day (72H).

The result wasn't really like with cow's milk, but more like whey, although I tried whey a long time ago. I had a nice coloring. I didn't time the baking so it's not the best comparison, but you can check the usual coloring of this dough (in same working conditions) here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=56493.new#new. You can see a difference of coloring, specially with the last one which I baked obviously longer.
I never tasted maternal milk (well last time I tried I was less than 1 year old lol) so I can not say much about the taste, yet we could say there were a dairy taste.

Made some quick research on google, maternal milk seems to have more sugar than milk's but less protein... I don't if someone would have more specific things to say about it?

Anyway, once passed the psychological barrier, the test was as funny as uncommon!

BTW, last pizza is what we call a "mustard pizza", or "Provençal pizza": Dijon mustard as basis, emmental slices, tomato slices, Provence mixed herbs, salt, black pepper, EVOO.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:18:22 AM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress